“Great Location, Nice Dorm Rooms, Gross Showers”

Reykjavik Backpackers
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights in co-ed dorms. It is right in the heart of Laugavegur district, many cafes, restaurants, shopping and bars nearby. Staff is hipster-y but friendly and helpful. The dorm rooms were nice and comfortable. Luggage storage available (can also leave luggage for a couple days after your stay if you will be hiking/touring/etc and don't want to take everything with you). Rooms have good sound insulation (there is a bar/club right below it - we stayed on a Saturday night, music was bumping but could not hear it, or street noise, in the bedroom).

Things took a turn for the worse when using the shared showers. We booked this hostel after a 5 day hiking trip, so we were ready to get clean. The showers were awful. No water pressure...and no hot water (odd in a geothermally powered city??). They were filthy...dust, hair everywhere. If you stay here, go to the city pool (Sundlaugar!), it is only a few blocks away and for 500 ISK you can soak in hot pools AND take a decent shower!

Also, no laundry facilities available. I wouldn't want to do the backpackers laundry load in the sink here because of the aforementioned...I did not use the kitchen, so can't speak to it's condition.

Room Tip: Shower at the city pool down the street instead.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Reykjavik Backpackers has a great location just on the main street of Reykjavik, Laugavegur. I stayed in a 8-person dorm for a bit over a week. The room was a basic dorm with nothing extra in it, but it was nice and clean. The showers and toilets were clean and you didn't have to queue to them a lot.

The other people staying at the dorm were mainly small groups of friends or people travelling alone as I was. At any point of my stay I didn't have any problem leaving my staff in the dorm room, I wasn't afraid of anyone trying to take anything. The staff of the hostel was extremely helpful and friendly and they gave help and advice on any thing you just asked, whether it was about active tours or finding a place to have good mutton. The hostel has a nice bar downstairs (that has happy hour every day!) and there are a lot of tourists from other accommodation and locals hanging out there.

The bad side of the hostel is the voices of the city. Even though Reykjavik isn't that big, there's a lot of life and voices of life there, especially during the weekend. This still isn't a big minus for this hostel.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Located right on one of the main streets in Reykjavik, Backpackers provided me with a more then adequate hostel room. The facilities were all top notch, including; clean beds/sheets, clean bathrooms, hot water, etc. The faculty working the desk were incredibly helpful with directions and providing affordable and fun experiences. They also helped with setting up transportation to and from Keflavik airport and Blue Lagoon. If (when) I go back, i'll most certainly stay there again. THUMBS UP!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I had two stays totaling five nights in Backpackers, both covering weekend nights. I stayed in 4-person rooms which were generally full. The crowd seemed to include a few party types and mostly people who were there for more active touring (& thus had to be ready to leave by 8 AM for tour departures), though perhaps the party types stay in the larger rooms. I saw at least one older (40+) person staying there every day and met more post-university people than university students.

Pros:
- Friendly, helpful front desk staff. They were always helping people arrange tours and helped me change my airport return time.
- Central location; close to shopping, restaurants, and attractions.
- Luggage storage if you arrive before the 2 PM check in time.
- Nice, sturdy bunks. The bunk did not seem to sag even when a rather ample woman climbed on the top, much to the relief of the person who had already been staying in the bottom bunk.

Neutral:
- A bit noisy, though I never had any problems sleeping when I used earplugs (provided in a jar by the front desk). It was much less noisy in the room I had at the back of the hostel.
- The free wifi was only available in the lobby and on the 2nd floor.
- The kitchen was rather cramped, but, hey, there is a kitchen!

Cons:
- The bathrooms! The showers were filled with dust/hair and the ceilings were covered in mold. Most of the drains were at least a bit backed up (probably with dust and hair). I didn't want to touch anything. I have been in cleaner showers at campgrounds.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building are much quieter. The third floor probably provides the best balan...
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at this hostel for a week in a four-bed dorm. For the price in the off season (After Aug 31), I thought it was fine and the location right on the main street is perfect. It does get noisy and they do play loud music until 1 AM on weekdays and later on weekends, however they offer free earplugs at the front desk.

The 4th floor kitchen was available for anyone on any floor, so I am not sure why people in other reviews mention that its only available for those on the 4th floor. Myself and a couple of my room mates used the kitchen on several occasions.

Staff were helpful in both the reception and bar area and I enjoyed the drink specials from 4-8.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side of the building.
Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have visited Backpackers already a year ago when staying in another hostel and booking my trips here. I like the cafe/bar downstairs as well. This time I decided to sleep here mainly because of the location, location, location. I didn't use the facilities that much but shower and room were ok. Nothing special but ok :)

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Right on the main drag in Reykjavik, this well-organized hostel gave us plenty of helpful tips for guiding the rest of our tip and helped organize some transport, etc. Common space was good for laptopping and comparing notes with other travelers. A calmer/somewhat older atmosphere than Kex, but bar is still hopping on Saturday night and during happy hours. Great place to charge up & wifi, too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends