“A decent hot dog for a reasonable price”

Baejarins Beztu Pylsur
Ranked #81 of 502 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Danish
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Baejarins beztu pylsur (English: The best hot dog in town) often shortened to simply "Baejarins beztu", is a popular hot dog stand in central Reykjavik, Iceland. In August 2006, the British newspaper The Guardian selected Baejarins beztu as the best hot dog stand in Europe. The majority of Icelanders have eaten at Baejarins beztu. It's downtown near the harbor and has been open since 1937. Foreign visitors are often brought to the stand to introduce them to the hot dogs there, which are often called "the Icelandic national food." Among famous people who have eaten at Baejarins beztu are Bill Clinton, former president of the United States, and James Hetfield, vocalist of the popular heavy metal band Metallica. A hot dog condiments include ketchup, sweet mustard, fried onion, raw onion and remoladi, a mayonnaise-based sauce with sweet relish. Hot dogs are often ordered with "the works," i.E., All condiments, or in Icelandic "eina med ollu".
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Apparently this place serves more people than anywhere else in Iceland although I'm not quite sure what differentiates it from other stands in the city and elsewhere in Iceland. Best to go for everything on them - raw onion, fried onion, ketchup and a light brown sauce that I didn't know, the kids just had a plain 'dog but it was a bit dry and bland. If you want a cheap, quick lunch you won't go far wrong but the same can be said for any one of the numerous similar stands around.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not usually a fan of hotdogs but these are delicious. Fantastic flavour combinations - you must try one with everything. There is always a long line but it moves quickly. In a city that is so expensive this is a brilliant choice for a cheap tasty lunch whilst exploring the city.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband is the lamb-eater, not me, so I am filtering this review from his perspective. We ate here twice while in Reykjavik. The first time, he thought maybe he just should have ordered with everything and also, perhaps it was a bad batch. The second time, with everything, he tossed the second dog (he ordered two) and declared it a PR marketing scheme. I tasted the remoulade which reminded me of a US dark roux, very floury, nutty, and not really something you'd want on a hot dog per se, although I suppose Iceland has many (often delicious) acquired tastes. The thing is that then, after going to the supermarket and seeing similar hot dogs in packs for far less than the almost $4 USD we spent on each hot dog, we thought that this was strange. He also said they weren't filling (thus his ordering three and then two). Costly. Overhyped. In a charmless location on the waterfront. And to be honest, he was very fine with cheap, pre made 10/11 sandwiches for our two weeks in Iceland, so I'm glad we went, but I'm not sure what the fuss is about! Not one bit from his reaction and my taste of the bread, sauce, etc. locale, and price? And no, sorry, I'm not going to email the owner to discuss this as he is soliciting in other, recent posts! Maybe he ought to consider more options. Personally, I would have loved to try a CHICKEN or TURKEY pylsur since I don't eat mammals but do eat poultry and fish. Of course, with the minimalist menu, that was in no way available at this walkup with limited outdoor seating.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Not sure what's in their sauce, but these were some great dogs! Just a small hot dog stand, but been pushing dogs for many years so don't miss if you are in Iceland.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My mouth is watering just remembering these hot dogs! My husband and I had put this little hot dog stand on our Reykjavik bucket list, and I'm so glad we were able to complete our mission.

We lucked out when we got there, and there were only a few people in line ahead of us. We ordered two dogs with the works, and they were delicious. I loved the sweetness, and the crunch. I had to have another one, but by this time a big line had formed. We didn't care, and ended up lining up for seconds.

Definitely a must-eat with a visit to Reykjavik!