“Fantastic Day tour to the central highlands.”

Iceland Aurora Photo Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #76 of 369 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Photography and sightseeing tours to all parts of Iceland.These flexible tours are driven by a passion for photography and the Icelandic nature.Flexible tours for small groups including advice and guidance regarding photography, Icelandic history and geography. Tours include transportation and accommodation outside of Reykjavik.
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I went back to Iceland in early September after I fell in love with the country back in January. I hired Owen last time for an amazing golden circle tour and I told myself I've got to contact Owen again this time so I did. Owen has organized a day tour for me to go to the central highlands around Mt. Hekla - the tallest volcano in Iceland. Fortunately the weather was so beautiful we had to stop the land rover every 10 minutes for a great photo shot. Owen is so passionate with photography and geology. I am very happy to have hired him as my guide.

1  Thank Thomas T
in 6 reviews
"black sand beach"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Tried booking this tour mid-Sept but Tony was unavailable. He recommended we contact another of his colleagues, Skarpi Thrainsson who responded promptly and we decided on a 2 day glacial lagoon and waterfall photo trip. This was the best part of our stay in Iceland. Iceland's landscape is majestic and over the 2 days, Skarpi shared with us vistas of numerous waterfalls, several glaciers, two glacial lagoons and two black sand beaches including one with basalt pillars. Evening rain spoiled our aurora viewing but can't control the weather. We travelled in a large Mercedes SUV that was spacious, clean and comfortable. Skarpi was a wonderful guide and good driver in the wet, windy weather we had. He was friendly, professional and always managed to get us to the 'must shoot' sites before the touring masses arrived each time. We enjoyed his stories and historical tid bits. Skarpi's timely photo tips and his patience despite my limited experience allowed me to relax and enjoy given that his tours usually host more accomplished photographers. I was very satisfied with the quality of photos that I captured with his help. We overnighted at Hotel Halli which was clean and located close to Jokulsarlon lagoon. Innkeepers there friendly and accommodating like all others we encountered during our Icelandic travels. For my next visit, I think I would book a longer trip to help minimize shooting inconveniences due to weather. Do bring gortex (top and bottoms), waterproof hiking boots came in handy especially for the beach shoots. Layering is key as the wind can blow ferociously and felt lots colder than 45F. Wish I had warmer gloves for shooting as frozen fingers became a rate-limiting factor for out door time. Highly recommend this trip with Skarpi.

4  Thank sedated
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My girlfriend and I did a tour with Lurie of Iceland Aurora Photo tours in June. We did a half day tour which started late evening and went on through the night. As it was Summer solstice the light is best if you go out at night because the sun sets for only a couple of hours and it is never truly dark. Lurie was a great guide and good company. He showed us lots of his secret spots as we drove through South Iceland chasing the light. He gave me good photography advice without being overbearing, so I enjoyed it immensely. I think the tour is actually quite good value compared to other guided tours considering the unique locations and tuition. If you are willing to share a tour with some others then the costs can be kept down even more. Overall, I recommend a photo tour with Lurie!

2  Thank Philip W
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Had a chance to visit Iceland and take a photo tour with Tony Prower last month. It was an outstanding trip and there is no way I could have seen all the places I did in the amount of time I had without an experienced guide like Tony. He is an outstanding photographer and has in-depth knowledge of the best locations and the ideal timing for visiting them. During my trip he alo generously taught me his "magic cloth" technique which is something I will be able to use going forward.
Please note this tour is directed to people whose primary objective is photography and taking great pictures of Iceland's beautiful locations. If that is your main goal, having Tony as a guide will maximize the chances of you returning home with outstanding photos.

6  Thank dwfphoto
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Darwin T

We had a photo tour with a group of 8 for 2 days. We had a great time, with his suggestion, we took photos at night where the sun only set for 2 hrs and avoid all the other tourist fighting for the photo spot! At Jokulsarlon, we had the whole place to ourselves in the early morning where is no wind and we can get the perfect reflection of the ice flow in the lagoon. Tony even show us a few tricks of his own in taking photo without using a graduated filter to darken the sky. He gave us enough time to take our photos and never rush us. I would love to have Tony as our guide again in the future to take photos of the northern light in the winter time.