“Perfect!”
Review of Blue House

Blue House
Ranked #10 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Three friends and I spent a lovely two nights at the Blue House mid roadtrip through Iceland. Not only are the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful, but are a ton of fun to be social with, along with the other guests. The rooms are nice and clean and the entire house well kept and very accommodating. It is very easy to feel at home and comfortable at this house! Highly recommended!

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I booked 2 nights, many months before our October arrival and settled our bill in Euros after our first night. The previous bad review does just not add up in my opinion, as paying by credit card before our arrival was not even an option. Anyhow, I digress...

We had rented a car, and had specifically chosen Blue House, because of its location away from the lights of the city. A short drive from the Blue House, you will be near the ocean, and will have a perfect place to see the Northern Lights should they grace you. We were very lucky, and saw them the first night of our stay.

I will admit that my husband and I do not usually stay in B&B's, I usually am tracking down the latest and greatest 4 or 5 star hotel in whatever city we stay in. That said, we had everything we could possibly need right here: a comfortable large bed with warm duvets, a bathroom immediately across the hall with all toiletries, hairdryer and other things you may need. A stack of towels for each of us that were large and new-looking. A place to hang our clothes and a small desk and chair. The bedside table had an alarm clock and lots of reading material about Iceland. Oh, and free wifi! Great!

I thought there was no breakfast offered, but there is cereal, milk, tea and coffee available in the kitchen that you can help yourself to anytime of day. Breakfast is not a big 'thing' in Iceland, but since every meal out is so expensive, it was nice to start the day off at our temporary 'home' and have one less thing to worry about.

If we hadn't of rented a car ourselves, I would have been happy to have Zeno as a guide. He is very friendly, helpful and knowledgable, and Jenn is warm and lovely. They are lovely hosts and I am happy to have chosen the Blue House.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I booked 4 nights (280euro) in August already in April, was charged immediately for the entire amount. Cancelled my booking a week in advance with full accordance with the cancellation policy [72 hrs prior arrival], and never saw my money back. They don't answer my emails, give me weird excuses over the phone [the money is on its way for the past month] and literally refuse to refund me for the nights which I never spent in the guesthouse. Beware of them.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank MorMit
valhusabraut19, Manager at Blue House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2011

Dear Reviewer.
we regret to see that you use this Website against us.

We were in contact with you and we have clear cancellation policy.
What you are writing is not true and you know this yourself.
Especially since you threatened us with bad reviews if we don´t do according as you please.

We were in constant contact with your booking site Venere.com and they backed me up with our decision.

I personally don´t think its fair how you treat us.
We are a small business trying very hard to please our guests.
Yes we are not perfect and there is still room for improvement but we ask that both sides treat each other with mutual respect.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night before heading out on the Laugavegurinn hike. We chose the Blue House after reading all the wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor and based on the recommendation of friends who had stayed there the previous year. All-in-all, we found it to be perfect for what we wanted. Comfortable, economical, and extremely flexible - they let us store our extra luggage free of charge for the week while we did our hike.

Despite the fact that the owners were both away during our stay, arrangements were made to ensure we would be as comfortable and taken car of as possible - a laptop with free internet was left for our use (to email or skype the owner) as was a cell phone for the same purpose.

The house is adorably decorated and very cozy - complete with a acoustic guitar lounging in the living room. There was lots of food made available for breakfast - which was more than ample.

Things to know: 1) you'll really want to have a rental car if you are staying here - while only a few minutes from downtown, it's in a quiet residential area and didn't appear close to any bus stops. 2) Don't stay if you are allergic to cats. We were woken by the sound of a cat scratching at our bedroom door (which we had not locked) the cat actually managed to open the door and the next thing I knew I had a beautiful grey cat in bed with me - rubbing against my face - good thing we love cats! Now, I highly doubt this is the norm - and think the cat got let in my one of the other guests - but it's a possibility I know many of my friends would avoid at all costs. 3) the bathroom is shared. We still loved it and I took full advantage of all the creature comforts (a deep soaker tub ringed by lovely jars of bubble bath, shampoo and conditioner) and had a bubble bath.

This isn't a hotel but if that won't throw you - and you like the uniqueness of someone's clean, bright, cozy home. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Blue House!

I should note we enjoyed the bed - and slept well (aside from the cat). ; )

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Worldtraveler115
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I stopped at the Blue House on my flight to europe from boston with icelandair.
After a one day delay because of the volcano we arrived early in the morning.
Luckily we could store our luggage in the basement where we were already greeted by the house cat ;)
In the afternoon we did check in and were pleasantly surprised. The house is rather small but all was very clean and totally comfortable.
The host was very friendly and gave us all kind of information about iceland.
We had a shared bathroom but as far as i remember there were two bathrooms for two guest rooms.
Next day we booked the host to guide us with his super jeep to do the golden circle and surroundings.
The nature in iceland is sooo wonderful and I have never seen a place like this before.
Our host showed us so many spots the usual tourist buses didnt stop, also a natural hot pot in the middle of nowhere.
All in all i very recommend the accomodation and if you dont rent your own car take the tour with the host which was a fair price for our daytrip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrea-Boston1984
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We spent a week in the Blue House in June . How can I describe it... it was just one of the best stays we ever had. It was the second time we stayed in a B&B, usually we're used to hotels with quite a lot of luxury. When looking for a stay in Iceland, I saw there were a lot of B&B's and thanks to pictures and reviews we found on the Blue House it sounded like a perfect place to stay while we explored the "golden circle".

The hosts Zeno and Jennifer are extremely friendly and helpful. They consider you as part of the family while you're there. Our room (the smallest one) was very clean, had everything in it we needed. The barthroom was very good. Even when the Blue House is fully booked, you never have the feeling it's too crowded.

Zeno is a great host, he knows a lot about Iceland and its people and he will take a lot of time to show you the places to see, with a lot of insider information. It helped u a lot since we kinda came unprepared to the island.

Breakfast is also pretty good, the living has a projector, games, many books around and a nice garden which you will certainly enjoy. Keep in mind there is also a cat running around (but she's so nice, you'll adore her).

I would recommend the Blue House to everyone visiting the Reykjavik area. Don't expect a hotelservice, but do expect a cozy home in a quiet street a little bit out of the town. Great for walking around, great for getting a lot of good information about the island and just perfect for someone who really wants one of the best places to stay in Iceland.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rutger
Reviewed 4 April 2011

The Blue House is a beautiful, clean, comfortable, modern, nicely-decorated guesthouse with free WiFi (fast connection) and an awesome entertainment system (PlayStation/DVD player, free DVDs, and a projector). The hosts Zeno and Jenny are very welcoming (I now consider them friends). We stayed for 10 days and within hours after arriving, it already felt like a home away from home. The guesthouse is only minutes away from Reykjavík (walking or by bus - the #11) and has spectacular views of snow-topped mountains. If one is lucky, the Northern Lights shine over the house. The guesthouse also boasts makeshift hot pots (hot tubs) in the backyard. Zeno is very knowledgeable of what's going on in the city and the rest of the country. He also organized unforgettable tours, charging very reasonable rates. I will never forget my stay at The Blue House. I highly recommend it, and this is coming from one tough critic who's traveled the world over and over. We are definitely coming back!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple