“The Blue House”
Review of Blue House

Blue House
Ranked #10 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The location is lovely but the photograph is very misleading as it is not an isolated location, but is actually part of a street of houses in a housing area.
There was no one to meet us on arrival...the host told us it was because we were arriving late...but it was before 8 pm when we arrived. Also there are no maps of the location and it was really hard to find anywhere to eat...only a supermarket.
Breakfasts are only cereal and bread with cheese...no fruit or anything else.
The bread ran out one morning. The TV in our room never worked all the time we were there...just kept being told that the engineer was coming 'tomorrow'. Also toaster didn't work...replaced on the last day.
The area is very beautiful, close to the sea and a nature reserve near the lighthouse and very quite, but guest house is not well run. It is a long way from town although there is a bus (no 11) a distance away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kay B

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Blue house is in a tranquil suburb of Seltjarnarnes, Reykjavik. This house is easy to locate, within 5 minutes drive from downtown Reykjavik. The house is well designed, thoughtfully and tastefully decorated. I believe this home as a B&B to be one of the best I've ever stayed in after all the B&Bs I've stayed in around the world. Everything I needed was here, easy, comfy and cosy. There is a supermarket nearby, golf course and a dark look out for those northern lights hunters. The number 11 bus stop is down the street and quick to get to the downtown area.

stay here! Perfect little house on the hill

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Blue House last November. We couldn't have been happier with the service provided. In addition to beautifully decorated and cosy rooms, the hosts were welcoming and the possibility of making our own snacks and breakfast was great! The location was also ideal for exploring the city of Reykjavik. I would highly recommend the Blue House, and will definitely be visiting it again, hopefully in the summer next time :)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2013

When we first thought about traveling to Iceland with our 2 year old, we were a little scared. We wanted to experience Iceland safely and also enjoy our stay as a family, so we chose this B&B instead of a hotel to be more comfortable.

We stayed in the large room (my husband, mother-in-law, baby and me). It was really comfortable for the four of us!).

The Blue House has a spectacular view/feel. The place was really clean and its occupants were incredibly charming. Breakfast was nice (bread, cereals, jam, crackers, peanut butter, cheese, milk, juice, coffee and tea), so we weren't super full but it was perfect. Two of the days we didn't feel like eating the same we went out and had brunch, but I would say if you don't expect a super hearty breakfast it should work great for you (this is for Americans mostly)!

The neighborhood was really quite and peaceful. Lovely to walk around and the bus station is REALLY close by. It takes about 12 minutes to get to downtown Reykjavik. We only walked once with the baby's stroller because it was too windy/chilly for us to make the walk.

We got to see the Northern Lights just by walking up the tiny hill in front of the house! We also saw sun, rain and snow during our 8 nights stay.

The best tours we booked for the whole family were both with Season Tours. The dinner tour and Snaefellsnes Peninsula tour were INCREDIBLE and they picked us up from the house. We also ordered Dominos by calling the number on Dominos.Is and they delivered to the house.

Overall the experience was SO MUCH BETTER than we expected. Last but not least, Sidonie (the house manager) was an incredible person and super attentive of our needs. She always remained so professional and warm, and really made us feel cared for and right at home. Ewa, another member of the staff, was also another amazing human being. Both of these employees deserve THE BEST. They made our whole Blue House experience a dream come true. We will recommend this place to everyone, and will definitely stay there again! TAKK FYRIR!

Room Tip: The large room is amazing for families. If traveling with a baby, make sure you always sleep in the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank correoparalimari
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We´ve been staying in the Blue House in October this year.
It is a clean, busy, suburban very nice place not far from the City Center. We had a rental car and did enjoy the fact that you can grab your breakfast by yourself at any time. Its like beeing home with others cause you share the bathroom and the kitchen.

Room Tip: If your are not good by foot take the ground floor apartment
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights. Before our arrival; we called to see whether or not to stay in the east of Icelend in order to have a better chance of seeing the Northern Lights. The lady on the phone was very helpful and checked the forecast for us.

We had a lovely stay which was very peaceful, away from the hussle of the city but not too far away to make it inconvenient. It took about 5 minutes to drive into the centre.

The breakfast was basic but nice. They provided fresh bread, ham, salami, cheese, jam and juices. It was available until midday which is great if you get up late.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and actually got to see the Northern Lights! There is a dark spot you could drive to; about 1km away to have a better view of the lights.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 13 September 2013

How can I even find words to describe the hospitality and help given to me by the Zeno and Jenny.

First--Zeno and Jenny speak a whole host of languages so they are able to welcome people from so many places (I do not think they speak Mandarin or Japanese, but Spanish, English, German, Portugese........Icelandic....). They have both traveled extensively and have many interesting experiences of their own.

Second---I arrived at an early hour. Despite Zeno being busy with people leaving and going on their way (he had helpful advice and answered questions for all). He helped me (at the same time) to have a wonderful day in Reykjavik. KEEP IN MIND this was during one of the biggest weekends in Iceland--the marathon and National Festival (sorry -forgot the name of that one) weekend in late August, the high season for tourism.

Third----I rented a car and drove around Iceland for 7 days. Zeno and Jenny took the time to go through every stop, every viewpoint, things not to miss, ALL of this was with taking into account what things I said were of interest to me. They even told me about a stretch of road on the north side where I should go the speed limit to avoid the Police and their speed traps. SURE ENOUGH--I saw 3 three speed traps in the stretch of road that they described and did not see but maybe one on the whole rest of my week.

Fourth---Breakfast---Oh my God, fresh baked goodies and all sorts of other wonderful things to select and to take your fill of. I eat as much as two people for breakfast and they were unfazed by my morning feast. Of course plenty of fresh brewed coffee was a part of it (tea, juice, milk, kir also all available). I was fueled for a long day of sightseeing each morning.

Fifth---INTANGIBLES---how do you describe a place that captures the travelers spirit, the spirit of hospitality, the spirit of both adventure and home-style comfort at the same time?? Blue Haus has managed to infuse the entire place with a special spirit and warmth that is a rare find in travels.

That was the hospitality- When I travel, I want a room where I can rest peacefully, relax, maybe coordinate and plan (Internet and phone available- No Extra Charge- as well as several reference and guide books), as well as clean up and refresh.

CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN.

COMFORTABLE, COMFORTABLE, COMFORTABLE

and QUIET, QUIET, QUIET (unlike the downtown haus I stayed in for one night upon return--big mistake).

There is a hot pot (Hot tub), or should I say a series of hot pots with differently heated pools that is modern and nice within a couple of blocks as well as a small store just a block away.

It is not downtown---do not expect this to be in the heart of the city but there are a couple of bus lines that come by frequently. There are major supermarkets close by if you want to stock up (I think ICELAND is the place that I have been where I saw the largest number of travelers buy some groceries some of the time, just due to costs in restaurants as well as the remoteness of many of the jaw drop)ping natural beauty.

If you were DOWNTOWN, you would miss the view of the whales and just off the coast, you would miss the arctic birds that land in the parks nearby or the big green field just across the street from the blue house, and you would miss some of the lovely views.

If I could start a school on how to run a B & B, the first people I would call to teach the classes would be Zeno and Jenny who both make the Blue Haus a place you will not soon forget.
(P.S. I did not forget my trip---I actually visited in August 2012 and I am writing this in September 2013---TripAdvisor dates in the data fields only go back to October 2012 at this time--in full and open disclosure)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo