“cheap and very central for reykjavik standards”

and 1 more site!
Downtown Reykjavik Apartments
Reviewed 7 January 2014

me and 3 friends shared an apartment for 8 nights. my 2 friends slept on the bed while my friend and i slept on the sofa/bed which also converts into a dining table. during our stay we never used it as dinner table since we made do with what we had... eating on the beds :) Ours was a very comfortable bed and well sized shower/toilet. the area for food preparation is very adequate. TV is very useful... should have taken an HDMI cable with me... could have used it to watch movies off my laptop as well...

location is amazing. just 2 mins off the main street, where a convenience store is located.
i would have liked to have better instructions on arrival, such as using the laundry area, where to leave the garbage bis etc... we saw the sign just before we checked out which was kind of late :)

Room Tip: we had the cheapest room in the basement but we did not encounter any noises or inconveniences.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SarahC01

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I recently spent three nights at the Downtown Reykjavik Apartments with my wife and daughter, my brother, and my parents around New Years Day 2014.

The location for this property is quite good - a few minutes walk to city centre and right off of Laugavegur. Excursion buses and companies definitely know the property, and generally drop off and pick up right in front of it. There are places to eat, drink and shop within fairly easy walk.

The unit we rented did have issues, however. First, there are two bathrooms, but one of them had a urinal instead of a toilet. This basically meant it was half-useful for a male. I can understand urinals in public places, but I think having it in a hotel room/ apartment basically meant that all the women could only use one bathroom. As it turned out, all of us had to use the one bathroom - there was a decidedly funky odor coming from the urinal bathroom and we had to keep it closed to contain it.

One of the bedrooms had a window overlooking a common hallway with a light that was on all night and a curtain that was inadequate to cover it. This did not help our quality of sleep.

The kitchen lacked a toaster, which was kind of annoying, as we had selected this place in the expectation of saving money by making breakfast for ourselves. It would have been nice to have a toaster.

The unit seemed a little cramped, but we were also a lot of people, so that could have been part of the issue.

Based on our experience, I would not recommend this property - the location is good, but we found the problems with the unit very off-putting.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jeevmon
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Just spent a week here - very impressed. Clean, large rooms. Plenty of space to cook, hang out etc.

Perhaps only issue was internet was very intermittent. Better than nothing though.

Not too far from the main drag - easy parking and other facilities were good too!

Would recommend overall.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked the smallest and cheapest available room (the double studio). When we arrived, finding our keys and room was very easy.

The room was small but very clean - the bedding smelt very fresh. We also saw a family studio which was bigger and again very clean and pleasant.

I asked to upgrade our room as I wanted a bit more space (the prices are very reasonable and I was happy to pay more). However when the owner and Thora heard it was the last leg of our honeymoon, they upgraded us to a 3 bedroom apartment for a very nominal increase. The owner even gave us a bottle of wine to celebrate!

The apartment was amazing - lovely city view, again very fresh and clean and lots of things included that I wouldn't expect in a lot of self-catering facilities (e.g. ground coffee for the cafetiere, toilet roll, some toiletries, porridge, cooking oil, dishwasher tablets etc). The bathroom was clean and spacey and the flat was so cosy and warm.

The apartments are a 30 second walk away from the main shopping street in Rejkavik so it's very central; however it's on a quieter road so there's very little noise. I slept soundly all 3 nights.

I would definitely book at these apartments again! Thora and/or the owner are always about to help and are really friendly (like everyone I met in Iceland!)

I would advise anyone staying more than one night and planning on spending an evening in the apartment to select one of the larger rooms, just to give yourselves a bit more room to move about. We had a balcony too which had a great view (sadly the weather was too wet for us to use it!)

Room Tip: We had a family 3 bed apartment - but for a couple I'd say a one bedroom apartment would be plen...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We were travelling in a group of 17, so finding nice accommodation for all of us seemed like it would be tricky. But these apartments in Reykjavik were wonderful. We booked two penthouse apartments and were very pleased by the size of the both, Both had three double bedrooms (some had double beds, some had two singles) and huge sofas that pulled out. There were also two bathrooms which was excellent for such a large group. The onsite parking and lift were ideal for our backpacking group and there were washer/dryers downstairs which we could use free of charge.
The only difficulty was getting into the building when we first arrived. There is currently construction at the front desk so it is closed. The back door has a pin number entry system- which was given to the person in our group who booked the stay. Our group arrived separately so we didn't have the code (our fault not theirs!) so it would have been handy if they'd had a door bell, instead of an international phone number.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Was here for a 5 days to sightsee Iceland and experience Reykjavik as a whole. The rooms are fully furnished and quite stylishly at that. Great location in the main area of Reykjavik, within walking distance of everything we needed basically. The host was easily accessible and very friendly. Would definitely return here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul P
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Our large group of couples and friends travelled to Iceland to tour the country and take in the 2013 Iceland Airwaves festival. We were greeted warmly upon arrival by Thora, who was incredibly kind and helpful throughout our 8-day stay in Reykjavik.

The apartment itself is located steps from Laugavegur, one of the main shopping and entertainment streets in downtown Reykjavik. Though everything we needed (banks, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.) was within arms reach, the property is located on a very quiet corner. There is a great record shop just down the street, for anyone interested.

Our unit was very clean and cozy, equipped with fast WIFI, cable TV and other comforts such as in-suite dishwasher and a community laundry room downstairs. While we enjoyed some meals out and plenty of entertainment, it was important for us to have all the 'home away from home' amenities that were included with our apartment. Plenty of parking out back, which suited us well having rented a vehicle for our stay.

I would not hesitate to stay again and look forward to doing so again in October 2014 - can't speak highly enough of the character and flexibility demonstrated by our hosts. We thank Thora and DRA for an amazing week and can't wait to visit this beautiful city again soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends