“Walking distance to everything, very helpful staff!”
Review of City Center Hotel

City Center Hotel
Ranked #39 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I booked this a while ago on a third party site so don't know exactly how much I paid, but I think I got a good deal. The hotel is located in the city center, a 5 min walk from Laugavegur, & 2 min from the famous hotdog stand. It's also within walking to distance to the harbor, making it a good, central location. I hear the Center hotels have bigger rooms by Icelandic standards, which is def true! I was a little scared based on the reviews from ppl saying the rooms were small, but our room (a double) had plenty of space for 2 ppl, a nice big balcony, & big bathroom. It's definitely not what I expected, I've stayed in much smaller rooms in other cities (NYC, Boston.) The part that makes this hotel stand out is how helpful the staff is. The front desk people did everything (called taxis, confirmed tours, gave us umbrellas for the rain, provided directions & recommendations) & I can't say enough good things about them! Our flight arrived early the first day, & the guy who checked us in provided a map along with a written guide to tourist attractions that he showed us on the computer. The hotel provided a lot of extras (nice complimentary toiletries in bathroom, robes, slippers), room was always cleaned when requested, & extra towels were provided. For $12/person, you can get the breakfast buffet in the morning, which has a lot of unlimited choices (cereal, cold cuts, skyr, bacon, eggs, toast, fruit, fresh juice etc.) Prob the cheapest breakfast you will find! I def recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Iceland who wants to be within walking distance to the main attractions!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Laj0iedevivre

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in March having booked 3. This was owing to a double booking by the hotel on the first night. However, we were accommodated in another hotel nearby for the first night, which was free of charge and the staff could not have been more helpful! We were glad to return to the City Center Hotel as the accommodation was far better and the location very convenient for walking around, booking tours, eating, drinking etc. As other reviews mention the staff are excellent and the micro brewery a useful addition. Reykjavik is compact and from the hotel you can walk to most places of interest. Be prepared to pay quite a lot for tours, eating out and drinks but try not to let this dominate your experience, it is a city break after all! The place is very different from most places we have visited and the general feeling is one of being safe with little or no litter anywhere, even after the well publicised weekend revelling. Food choices are abundant but we found (1) Prakid good for burger/chips meals and good beer (2) Caruso good for more intimate dining but not too expensive (3) Cafe Paris 50 m from the hotel is great value for lunch with specials Mon-Fri for soup and meat/fish dish, much more competitively priced. Coffees are nice in most places but we liked the Chaqwa in Around Iceland, which is also a tourist information/cafe/gift shop. Most things worthy of seeing locally are around the main street of Laugevegar. Northern lights trip is hit and miss naturally but make sure you are prepared for the cold! Blue Lagoon is worth a visit if somewhat expensive for a swim! But the experience is well worth it. The airport is modern and has plenty of duty free shopping if that's your bag. Nice visit, very unique place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank A R
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of Reykjavik and within walking distance of restaurants, tour bookings, Hallgrimskirkja, Solfar, the Old Harbor area, grocery store, and many bars/clubs. The room was perfectly adequate for our 7 day trip with enough storage for our stuff (2 large and 2 small suitcases). We had a king size bed (two twins pushed together, couldn't tell any difference). We were on the 6th floor and had a view over Reykjavik and the harbor that was beautiful. Water smelled a little like sulfur, but then again welcome to Iceland :) Staff was extremely helpful and assisted us in verifying some of our tours were still on despite the inclement weather. They allowed us to check in early (got there at 8 am and our room was ready around 9- luckily there was no one in the room the night before). They stored our stuff and seem to do this regularly for guests due to the odd arrival times. Breakfast was a good mixture of items- fruits, juice, skyr, cheeses, eggs, sausage, bacon, cereal, breads, and coffee/tea. If you don't want to spend the price on breakfast there are a few other places around the area, but I have to admit it is a good price unless you just want something light. Only suggestion I would advise people to do is bring earplugs. Friday/Saturday nights are clubbing nights for Reykjavik and they take their partying seriously. If you want to partake, you are only a few steps away from one of the most popular clubs in Iceland (across the street). If you don't, no worries just bring a pair of earplugs and you are good. My husband and I did not go out clubbing but were not bothered at all by the clubbers. In fact, we had fun watching the line up from our window. This is a great hotel with a great value. I would recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: There is a club across the street so rooms in the back if you want less noise. Views are great from...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amber K
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Interested to read other reviewers mentioning the noise for the runtur revellers on the main street. Unfortunately if you're still suffering from your own runtur, you might find yourself wakened from your recovery snooze by protesters outside the Icelandic Parliament which the hotel outlooks on the other side! That aside, though it looks a little bland from the facade, the City Centre makes you welcome from the moment you step through the door to be greeted by the helpful and cheerful staff even if the quirky Icelandic sense of humour does take a while to get used to!
Had a double room with plenty of space to crash out, a piping hot geothermal shower and basic coffee making facilities. One quibble was the satellite TV which had a number of channels missing or scrambled and proved difficult to scroll through the ones available. Tip to the owners, how about a simple printout of channels?
Breakfast was a little bit hit and miss, more hit than miss though, just depended on who was up before you as to how much of the hot sausage, egg and bacon was left!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 604 which has a lovely uninterrupted over the main square and beyond.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here for five nights at the end of February. This was a clean, comfortable hotel. I had a single room facing the road, on the first floor, whilst other members of the party had a room on the 5th floor. The single room was a good size, with a double bed. I would recommend asking for a higher floor as almost opposite the hotel there is a nightclub and our first night - Saturday night - it was open until 4.30 a.m. and even though it was freezing most of the people were standing outside, as happens in London on hot nights, on Friday and Saturday nights in Reykjavik bars close at 4.30 a.m. It was very noisy. Apparently you can get earplugs at reception, but they did not warn us of any noise and no earplugs were offered!! On the last morning, fortunately we had to be up anyway, a vehicle turned up with like a fireman's ladder at about 5.30 to clean the windows of the bank opposite as the road is so narrow they cannot do this during the day! If you are a light sleeper, which I did not realise I was, ask for a higher room.

The staff at the hotel were mostly helpful. The hotel is in a very good location and that is why I have given it a 'very good' rating, as this made up in part for the down sides. There are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. You are close to where the coach tours leave to take you to see the Northern Lights, Golden Circle Tour and Blue Lagoon. All these trips I would recommend.
I thought that the breakfast in the hotel was very limited for the price, but adequate. You had to ask for cheese, ham, bread etc as they did not seem to replenish regularly, but that said Iceland is a very expensive place as they have to import everything, so I suppose they try to avoid waste.

There is a bar on the ground floor of the hotel, which is very popular, but it only serves beers unfortunately, so if you are not a beer drinker then you need to look elsewhere. It got very crowded but the noise did not seem to reach up to the rooms.

We were so lucky to see the Northern Lights on the first trip out, it was magical. You are taken to a spot about an hour's drive from the centre of Reykjavik where it is really dark - and cold, and wait until the Northern Lights arrive. If you do not see them on the first outing then you can go again for free until you see them, which I thought was great, as often the weather can be cloudy and you cannot see them

Remember to take all your cold weather gear with you as it can be very, very cold and there is often a biting wind and to buy anything in Iceland can be expensive.

I had a wonderful trip to Iceland and can thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Convenient, courteous, clean, accommodating. My family recently stayed here and were very happy we did. This hotel is right in the center of town so we could walk to everything: restaurants, stores, sights. They offer single rooms with twin beds and a full bath which worked well for us as we were traveling with young adult children. I had contacted the hotel by email to ask some questions before arriving and was responded to very quickly. I had made a request and was graciously accommodated. I had previously read about noise at the front of this hotel so we had brought along some earplugs but wound up not needing them. The hotel was clean, and the staff very friendly and helpful. Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I arrived early in the morning totally bushed from the overnight flight. They were able to accommodate an early check-in for me. Breakfast is included with your room. The staff is super friendly and very helpful with everything from room accommodations to booking tours for you. There is a small grocery store, coffee shop and a tourist information center all in the same block. This hotel is an excellent base for exploring Reykjavik and the surrounding areas. I would highly recommend this place to all that visit Iceland.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo