“Inga was so sweet and a great guide!”

Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Denver, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Inga was so sweet and a great guide!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Inga picked us up from our hotel in downtown Reykjavik and drove us to the ranch. We didn't realize she was not only our transportation, but also our guide on the horse-back ride! She gave us lots of history of Iceland, the horses, and a little geology lesson since the tour was around some volcanic craters.

Clearly Inga enjoys her job and it really makes the whole experience that much better! It didn't seem like there was a time limit for the ride and it just started and finished naturally. Not rushed and not too long. We even got to trot and "tölt" (a gait unique to this breed of horse).

Some things to keep in mind. Iceland's weather is unpredictable. It rained and hailed on us within the first few minutes of the ride. They will provide you with boots, cover-alls, and a helmet. Use them! Even if the weather looks fine at the start of the ride, it can change quickly.

PS They aren't "ponies", they're "Icelandic horses" :-)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sydney
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A must do if you're in Reykjavik!!!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

First of all, Begga - the owner and lead guide is so warm and welcoming.
She makes sure everyone is feeling comfortable, even those who have never ridden a horse before.
She has a great sense of humour and is just an amazing tour guide!
The stable is only a 10minute drive from the city centre in Reykjavik. The company offers pick ups, but my friend and I hired a car, so we drove there ourselves, and it wasn't that difficult to find.
We did the afternoon tour which started at 2pm and finished at around 4:30pm... About an hour and a half of that is on horseback.
You ride through the lava fields, and Begga takes pictures of everyone on their horse and also gives some history lessons on certain areas you ride through.
This was an awesome experience!
Icelandic horses are so beautiful and have wonderful temperaments.
They're so friendly! The horse I had was named Gaukur and he was such a gentlemen and a well behaved.
I highly recommend riding with Begga and her crew!
It's worth every cent.
This one of the highlights of my trip in Iceland so far :)
Thank you Begga!

2 Thank Lanananaetc
Sydney, Australia
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Introduction to Iceland”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My first day here and off I went to try out the Icelandic horse. What a great experience and I was very fortunate it was a private ride as no other bookings. Inga picked me up promptly at Marina Hotel and a short pleasant drive, we arrived at the stables. There are plenty of friendly horses to chose from. Their easy going nature makes them suitable for beginners, but being an experienced rider, I was keen to keep up the pace. Tolting along through the picturesque scenery was a great way to start my two week trip. Inga made an effort to provide me with local information and also take the obligatory photo shots. A terrific way to spend the am.

Oslo, Norway
“Great experience!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely horses, fantastic landscape and friendly and knowledgeable guides! Would definetely recommend :)

Oakville, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wow what a smooth ride!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The highlight of our visit to Reykjavik was our Icelandic horse riding tour. The last time I was on a horse it didn't go well, so my recent outing was like getting back on the horse so to speak! Becca did an excellent job of introducing the activity and outlining the do's and don'ts to ensure we had a positive experience. While time was spent getting acquainted with your horse, the actual riding time wasn't compromised. The door to door pick up and drop-off service was amazing. The bonus is that the stable takes pictures throughout the riding tour so you don't have to worry about it because they email them to you afterwards. This tour was the best value I experienced in Iceland.......don't miss this one.

2 Thank EPike