“Amazing way to see another side of Iceland”

Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My friend and I signed up for an evening tour and were extremely happy with our experience. Inga picked us up at our hotel and it was a quick drive over to their stables. She gave us a brief history on Icelandic horses (NOT ponies!) and a tutorial on how to ride. Although I'd ridden horses before, I was curious to try the new "Tolt" specific to Icelandic breeds.
Since it was a colder rainy evening, they decked us out in a set of waterproof jackets, pants and rubber boots so that we were comfortable on the trails. They also had small lockers that you could put your purse or other small belongings in, which I appreciated.
Outside, we had a few minutes to get acquainted with our horses and Inga gave a quick lesson on how to mount the horse.
The trails were fantastic! The lava rock formations looked stunning in the background as our horses trotted along. Overall, the ride was about 2 hours and Inga spoke about the landscape as we went along.
I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone looking for something special to do in Iceland. Warm, friendly people to match their horses!

1  Thank canadian_bot
Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)
All reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 25 reviews
"great introduction"

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was definitely a highlight for our family. Our girls who are both teens have prior riding experience and our boy who is 12 and husband and myself had none. I was extremely nervous going into this ride as I had only ever been on a horse 2x in my life and thrown both times. I cannot say enough good things about our tour guides. Inga who is the lead tour guide was simply amazing. She took her time in explaining things and paired us with the perfect horses.
It was a great experience and our girls are already talking about wanting to go back an extended ride.
It was raining and even that didn't diminish from the ride as the company provides rain gear that is definitely adequate.
Thanks so much for a great experience!

1  Thank Jackie Heagy B
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had done the two hour ride previously and agree with everyone else that it is excellent. So good in fact that we decided to go on the 5 day Snaefelsness glacier ride last week; and that was absolutely amazing!

The rides were spectacular, going though National Park areas which larger operators can’t get access to and over terrain that would be impossible for any other than the tough and sure footed Icelandic horse. The horses themselves were so good natured and willing that I would be happy to believe that they were unusual, if Begga hadn’t told us that all Icelandic horses are like that (she is an ambassador for the breed!). Begga and Sveinn who run the company are charming enthusiastic and knowledgeable and they and their team (Sveinn and Sophie) couldn’t be more helpful. It was like being with friends.

The riding was very exciting but not too hard or too challenging, so long as you have absolute faith in the horse and the tour leader. We coped ok and are in our sixties and, although we are quite fit, I’d say that to describe our riding abilities as “moderate” would be generous. The famous “tolt” is less hard work than trotting and cantering so even after seven hours of riding we were raring to go the next day. We would recommend one of Islenski Hesturinn’s longer trips to anyone. We don’t even have to worry about next year getting sold out as we’ve already got our booking in!

3  Thank john p
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Horseriding with Begga and Inga was absolutely exquisite. I've fallen in love with Icelandic horses, and this experience has much to do with it. Begga is wonderfully informative, funny and encouraging. She makes the riding experience much more welcoming and easy to adapt to. A marvellous experience that I would recommend to everyone.

1  Thank YiningHe
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This time we new EXACTLY what we didn´t want. After a not so fun experience a year ago at one of the largest Icelandic riding companies we decided to go for Islenski Hesturinn this time - an already well-reputed company we had learnt. Our high expectations were beaten manyfold - we had an extraordinary experience! Me - an unexperienced horse back rider - my fiancee - who has been riding for more than 10 years - could that really work without one of us being disappointed? Oh yes it did. Love at first sight with Inga, picking us up on time - speaking swedish as if she had lived there (which she had - being a "Dalkulla" it turned out). Being there for you when I felt insecure - even afraid - what have I gotten myself into. Don´t worry, she told me and gave me a warm smile. Teaching me how to do the tölt, always having a smile to give you when you felt you could´t handle the horse.

Love at first sight with Ingo, the rookie of the year at Islenski Hesturinn I guess - he turned out not to be smiling, singing (an extra plus from me for knowing some songs of Sven-Ingvars) and enjoying being our guide, our lead singer and continuous bird watcher - but also knowing just about everything what is worth knowing about the lava, craters, glaciers and caves of Iceland.

Love at first sight with Begga and Sveinn, making us feel "at home" instantly (which is NOT the case at all stables...).

Last but not least: Love at first sight with the horses, we had the possibility during these two days to ride half a dozen different horses - all with their own peculiarities - just like us! Lif, Somi, Adam, Pila, Twistir and Juni - all of them have a place in our hearts! What a good temper these horses show, still young at heart, all of them with the impossible combination of infinite patience and limitless curiosity. Carrying us more than 65 km during two days.

To all of you horseback riders in spe: don´t go for any horse back riding company – they are very different – and you may get painfully aware of it. Go for the best - you will not regret it.

1  Thank Klingan66