“Loved the horses (and the people of Islenski Hesturinn)”

Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Loved the horses (and the people of Islenski Hesturinn)”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our group of four took one of the afternoon rides. None of us had any real riding experience to speak of, so we were all a bit apprehensive. However, the team at Islenski Hesturinn is great at explaining the basics of riding. The brief orientation does take about an hour, but it provides sufficient background information. One should not be concerned about booking the ride even with minimal or no experience! Overall, Begga Rist, the lead guide, and her colleagues are very insightful when it comes to managing people and, needless to say, they are great at making 10-12 horses ride as a well-gelled unit. Every horse brings unique character traits and behaviors (for example, my horse made every effort to avoid puddles of water and had little patience for staying in line), but by the end of the 2 hour ride one is sure to have a new four-legged Icelandic friend. The ride takes place along a picturesque gravel trail that winds around mounds of ossified lava and green fields. Conveniently, the team provides riding boots, gloves and neon-yellow water repellent suites for all riders who are concerned about protecting integrity of their attire. The boots certainly come in handy, since some horses tend to ride right into water puddles. A few weeks after the ride, the team at Islenski Hesturinn sends a link to bunches of pictures that they took during the ride. Our pictures turned out great and brought back tons of memories, as well as a multitude of laughs. Overall, the experience offers one of the best price-value ratios - can't beat a combination of competent people and strong friendly animals! Must do activity in Reykjavik!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank AndreiV05

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kirkland, Washington, United States
“Great ride - I did the tolt”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very nice place to ride horses. Owners are friendly, happy to have you there. Horses are well taken care of. If you can ride they give you a great horse with lots of pep. Boots, coat, gloves, helmut all provided.

I would go back for more if I ever come back to Iceland.

Stockholm, Sweden
“Beautiful landscape, wonderful horses!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I went on a afternoon tour with my mum. I have been riding a lot but my mum haven't at all. She was a bit nervous but the guide Inga was very nice and instructed her before and during the tour. So she felt very safe and we had a lot of fun. We rode through beautiful lava fields and the small Icelandic forest. The horses where so kind and fun to ride! Also we got to borough shoes and helmets and Inga drove us back and forth to Reykjavik.
So super friendly horses, great service and guiding in a beautiful landscape just outside of Reykjavik!

Edmonton, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Exceeds expectations”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The horses are great, the people are great and the landscape was brilliant!!! Couldn't imagine a better way to spend my layover in Iceland. Got picked up at my hotel in the morning, learned about the horses then went for a ride and got dropped back off at the bus terminal in time for the Reykjavik Excursions bus back to the airport!! I will definitely be returning on my next trip to Iceland.

Nice, France
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing horses and guides!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Owner and guides provided a pre riding orientation which was excellent. Strong focus on safety and understanding Icelandic horses. Guides were able to accommodate to all riding skill levels and also explained the flora and geology along the way. Icelandic horses, in addition to being smaller, are friendlier than other horses and have a gait similar to cantoring, that is smoother than other types of horses. We also rode through beautiful areas that would not be accessible by vehicle. I would highly recommend this activity. It was one of the high points of our trip.

1 Thank Joel S