Hotel Borg by Keahotels
US$167
US$107
Travelocity
1,234 results
All reviewsart decooverlooking the squarenew wingbeautiful hotelparliament buildingperfect locationour honeymoonroom was largeearly hoursthe heart of the cityunderfloor heatingbreakfast buffetrestaurants and barswithin easy walking distancecentral reykjavikblackout curtainsnorthern lights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I just finished an enjoyable 3 night stay at Hotel Borg. The location is absolutely perfect. On a quiet street facing a park right in the heart of downtown Reykjavik. Less than five minutes walk to many bars, restaurants, shops, supermarket, bank, taxi stand, the harbor, etc.

Like many readers, I was concerned about the reports of noise. I had a room on the first floor facing the back of the hotel. Not a nice view, but no outside noise at all. However, my room was about three doors down from the elevator and stairway landing and one night (Friday night) there was some "ambient noise" from the bar/lobby downstairs which seemed to get loud at about midnight. The sound seems to carry up the stairwell and the bar is open quite late on weekends. It wasn't loud enough to keep me awake or really dusturb me, and I was fortunate that I was three doors down from the elevator/stairway. Some of the rooms are VERY close to the elevator and I think a first floor room right next to the elevator/stairway would have too much bar noise and noise from people talking in the lobby. I do think the hotel should turn down the bar volume late at night and put hotel guests' interests first.

I'm kind of surprised that people have complained about street noise from the rooms facing the front of the hotel -- there is little car traffic there, and though there may be late night revelers wandering by, it's not in the middle of a bunch of loud clubs or anything.

I was happy with my room. Decent size for Europe. Comfortable bed, nice decor, quality linens, free wifi, black out curtains, strong hot shower, heated bathroom floors and towel rack, reasonably quiet except for the background noise from the bar late at night.

I almost didn't stay here because of the "Iced at Borg" review below. I don't think hotels should forbid guests from bringing unregistered visitors to their rooms after certain hours, provided the visitors produce ID and behave appropriately.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We recently stayed 4 nights at the Borg. The location is perfect with excellent walking distance to most restaurants, bars and shopping. I was a bit apprehensive because of other reviews regarding noise. However, of the four nights, I heard noise only one night and it did not keep me awake. The double paned windows really help mitigate the sound. The staff is professional and helpful with tour and/or airport arrangements. The art decco decor is quaint and well maintained. The bar area is nice but the staff is a bit stiff. One word of caution: Do not bother with the breakfast buffet. It is over-priced and not very good. Instead, walk directly across the street to the Cafe Paris for the best breakfast you'll have in Iceland...or anywhere else!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

While we really love the location, our room was disappointing. We were in room 302 and although it was larger than the first one they showed us, we did not like having to go up the decrepit old elevator. The room itself was pretty stark. Also, they need to do a better job at blackout curtains.
The staff in the restaurant was terrific, very personable and attentive.

Room Tip: Not sure how to choose a good room at the Borg
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SuzanneMuntzing
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed at the hotel for two nights during November and we had a lovely stay. We were in a deluxe room on the 5th floor, which was very comfortable and elegantly furnished in art deco style. The hotel is very conveniently located in central Reykjavik and its perfect base to explore the city where all the restaurants and shops are located. I was disappointed that a hotel in this price range should include breakfast as standard. When not included, one would expect something better than the standard continental breakfast because of the 18€ price tag. I also did experience a problem once home as the hotel double charged me a large bill (which had been settled in the hotel) by taking this out of my bank account before checking with me…it took almost three months between many emails and phone calls some of which were not returned before my account was refunded, so please be careful.

Room Tip: deluxe room very Spacious
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maddymay14
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and loved it. Hotel Borg is in a perfect location in downtown Rejkayvik. There are plenty of great restaurants and pubs within walking distance. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated in the art deco style and the staff were very friendly. Parking on the street or right up the road in a big parking lot is very convenient since it is free overnight and you only have to pay at the meter from 10am on. Breakfast was very good as well although at 18 euro per person (unless you book a room that includes free breakfast) we did opt for the cheaper option of coffee and a Danish around the corner a few times

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple