“Great location and excellent service”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #11 of 55 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This was our second visit to Reykjavik and last time we stayed a little bit too far from the city center. So this visit we tried the Hotel Holt, located near the city center. We loved the location. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood, The hotel is 5 to 7 blocks from many major attractions, close enough to walk but far enough to not hear any of the all-night revelers that fill the bars and pubs on the weekend.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. Our room was spacious and well appointed. The hotel itself is filled with wonderful paintings and statues made by local artists and the atmosphere is quite pleasant.

The best thing about our stay was the service! From the moment we checked 'til we returned home, the hotel staff was wonderful. They were polite, friendly, efficient, and attentive. When we asked for an iron and ironing board in the room, it was brought to us in a few minutes. When we called to inquire about getting some ice for drinks we brought to our room, it was hand carried to the door by the desk staff in an attractive container within two minutes. The airline had lost some of our luggage, and when it arrived a few days later, it was brought promptly to our room and the staff inquired after us to make sure we received everything in good order.

We rented a car during our stay. The hotel has its own free parking lot. We never had any trouble finding a place to park.During our stay, we ate one breakfast in the hotel (preferring to explore) and found there to be a fine selection of hot and cold foods. Everything was fresh and delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Holt in would both recommend it and return to it.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank OhioFlyers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed 11 June 2011

Don't expect anything trendy; it is an oldfashioned, lovely place we enjoy coming back to. This was our second stay and we love the location (5 min walk to everywhere!), the calmness and the very kind staff.
Rooms might be small, we were lucky and got upgraded to a lovely suite. Did not eat at the restaurant this time - but a year ago it was very very good.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank AWBerlin
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Its was a good experience staying there, every thing you can expect from a 4 star.
OK breakfast but nothing amazing... receptionist and staff very helpful. location very central and close to harbour.
sleep quality is good. comfortable beds. over all it was a good experience staying there.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank westernsheikh
Reviewed 10 June 2011

First and foremost, anytime one travels abroad, he or she is SO dependent on the help of the locals. The front desk staff was truly accommodating and helpful, no matter how silly a request seemed (such as explaining what key I need to hit to get the @ symbol in an email address). They helped me check on tours and arrange travel to the airport, and recommended great restaurants and assisted me with reservations. Anytime I was leaving the hotel on foot, they were happy to provide walking directions and painstakingly point things out on a map.

Beyond that, the room was nicely appointed and comfortable. It is an older hotel, so the elevator was a riot, but I really appreciated the sophisticated decor and collection of artwork.

The location of the hotel is ideal, as well. You are walking distance to just about everything, and perfectly situated for the day tours... meaning you're neither the first or last one picked up.

I also splurged and got a massage while I was there. They have an option of going to one of the local spas/pools, but I opted for the on-site option. The masseuse was amazing, and it was nice to simply walk a floor up to a small, austere room. It is very functional, so don't expect a full spa at the hotel... it really is just a massage room. But for true R & R for your body, 100% worth it!

My other indulgence: eating in the hotel's restaurant, which lived up to the hype. Wonderful French cooking, and when a complimentary amuse bouche arrived at the table that contained lobster (to which I am allergic), the waiter whisked it away and the chef made me another bite. Kudos!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank lo60435
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The art collection and artifacts in this hotel are wonderful...it's definitely old-school, but if you're into history and like the feel of being transported a little back in time, it's a wonderful experience. We stayed in one of the suites...definitely spacious enough for three. Breakfast was standard. The best part: it was super quiet, yet we were so close to the nightlife...a huge plus. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sleepyplants
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We spent 7 nights at Hotel Holt and there are a few positives. The location is good, the dining room was lovely. However, the entire property needs a facelift. The breakfast was average. The hotel rooms get 4 television stations and the wifi that they advertise is spotty at best. Room service was quick and polite but the offerings were not very good and nothing for breakfast in your room. The staff was friendly enough but I do not think this hotel would be somewhere I would recommend or stay at again myself.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shellysphoto
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2011

I was disappointed to see that this guest was not happy with her stay. It´s true that the hotel´s decor is charming to some and outdated to others. You can´t suit everyones taste. However, nobody can say the hotel isn´t well maintained.

In regards to the televisions, this has been a problem this spring and I am glad to inform that we will have new flat screen televisions in all rooms by the end of June. This should improve the way our guests view the tv´s.

The wi-fi signal is usually strong throughout the hotel but if guests are having problems with it, all they need to do is let us know and we will figure out what the issue is. If we are not notified, there is very little we can do.

I would love to welcome this guest again to our property if she would give us another chance to impress her.
Warm regards,
Snorri Valsson

Reviewed 1 April 2011

It was another one of my birthday long weekends away where an exciting destination and a quite and comfortable hotel awaited us.
I did a lot of research before my choice of the Hotel Holt and I am so please with my decision. I found an amazing bargain online, booked the flights and away we went. We rented a car which is a must if you want to get around in Iceland (other than on planned day trips) so I was pleased to find that the hotel had it’s own parking lot (this was good as it was on a residential street). I was also happy to find that while in a very quiet area, it was minutes walking distance from the main downtown area, amazing restaurants, and night life.
The hotel itself was well appointed, very clean, and decorated with original Icelandic art. The lobby and dining rooms down stairs were cosy and comforting. We did not eat dinner at the hotel, but we did have breakfast every morning that was lovely hotel fare, buffet style. The hotel had Wifi that I was unable to connect to – user error I’m sure, and I know that had I asked or wanted help, the staff would have done everything to assist me.
Our stay was punctuated by a fabulous surprise on arrival to help me celebrate my birthday – a special treat upgrade to a junior suite with balcony and amazing views of Reykjavik (and it’s ever changing weather!). The staff were as helpful as could be, really taking the time to assist us with any questions, recommend local restaurants, book trips, and even suggest downtown bars to our taste. It was these little things and attention to detail by the staff that helped make our stay really worth it. I would recommend this hotel to couples who need a quiet break away and business people who expect a personal touch. Many thanks Hotel Holt!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple