“Needs to really sort out its breakfast service”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Scotland
“Needs to really sort out its breakfast service”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The 60’s style exterior of this hotel belies the old world gentility that lies within. Inside it is warm, inviting and full of interesting artwork. The rooms are a decent size, well-furnished and with good bathrooms. It has a decent location, being within a short walk of the sights in the city centre although the street it is located in is fairly nondescript. The hotel makes a big deal of its food, but I found the breakfast to be deeply disappointing and extremely badly managed. We went down to breakfast at 0830h, which is not desperately late, to find the breakfast buffet decimated, presumably by the coach party that I had heard leaving earlier with a lot of banging on doors to wake up. I had to ask a number of times for the buffet to be refilled but in the end I gave up. The hot buffet remained empty for a complete hour, the cold buffet was only refilled with cheese, tomato etc when prompted and so it went on. This contrasted starkly with the Fosshotel in Skaftafell for example where, despite coach parties a cohort of employees kept a large and impressive breakfast buffet looking immaculate at all times during its service. While the staff at reception in Hotel Holt were extremely nice and helpful, those at the breakfast service need serious attention to get their act together, which points to poor and inadequate management. This, as you might infer, really spoilt my stay at a place that I thought would be a real treat.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank BOWUK
, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear BOWUK.

Thank you for your very valid criticism. Since your review and a few slightly less extreme cases this summer, we have had nothing short of a summit with the restaurant to sort the organisation and content of the breakfast out. This is something I have to take responsibility for, since I have not been monitoring the quality well enough. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies and without going into too much detail, assure you that you have helped us to improve immediately on this matter with your comments. Thank you for that.

Of course, you are not likely to be coming back to us very soon but if you would contact me directly by e-mail, I would love to somehow try to compensate you for your bad experience. You can find our e-mail in the business listing of Tripadvisor (since we are not allowed to put it in the response).

Snorri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Finnish first
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 19 June 2012

There certainly isn't anything wrong with the Hotel Holt but I didn't find anything too great about it either. Yes, I can appreciate the dark and clubby lobby with the beautiful artwork but in all other aspects I really wasn't too impressed with the rest of this hotel and just found it to be average in most respects.

We had a regular room on the third floor and paid 24,000 kronur (about $190) for one night's stay. Iceland is an expensive country and while this rate is extremely high for an American hotel room, we found it to be just slightly higher than average for a night's stay in Iceland.

The room size was average for an Iceland hotel but had way too much furniture it in, which made it hard to get around. I thought the room's decor to be dated and except for a flatscreen tv, it seemed like it had been a while since our room had been updated. Since you are on a quiet residential street, you do get less noise than if you stayed by the bars, but it is by no means silent. Just like any other city, you can hear people out on the street at night and traffic noises. It seems like a lot of people, including us, stay here to avoid Reykjavik's noisy streets. What could really set this hotel apart would be to invest in double paned windows to further eliminate noise.

There is a small and free hotel parking lot across the street but it is not gated or monitored, besides a sign threatening to tow anyone who is not a guest. The hotel does not even ask for your license plate number upon check in, so I doubt they are towing anyone. We felt lucky to snag the last empty spot when we checked in. If there had been no empty spots in the lot, I'm not sure what we would have done. There is also no bellhop for the hotel or anyone to assist you with luggage when you arrive at the hotel.

We did like the hotel's location once we found it, winding our way through the narrow streets of the city. Within easy walking distance to the main streets in town with restaurants and shopping and the Hallgrimskirkja.

4 Thank Jason P
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear jpete02.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel at length. I hope I can address most of the things you found lacking.

In regards to the city noise, it would be impossible to block out any amount of noise. Our windows are double paned as it is. Our street is a quiet residential one but if there is even one person making a ruckus in the street, this will interrupt our guests. All we can do is play the odds that this is far less likely to happen in our street than most that are located in the center of the center or thereabouts. It´s unfortunate but I wouldn´t want to invest in another layer of glass and still not be able to deliver on what that should do.

In regards to our parking lot, we do take a day once in a while where we monitor who is parking there and have them removed. Our guests have never had to worry about parking spaces as we remove staff cars from it when necessary. As with luggage assistance and a couple of other issues you bring up, all you would have needed to do is ask. We cannot keep a bellhop on duty for a 41 room hotel. Imagine where the room rates would go if that were the case. But we are always there to assist our guests in any way possible.

I will agree with you that some of our rooms may need to be renovated in some way in the near future. We are currently forming a plan for that but all the furniture serves a function and will not be changed out with the latest fashion just for a newer look so this takes a little longer time than a simple "out with the old, in with the new" mentality.

I certainly do hope you join us in the future and do like what you see.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Traditional dark decor to public spaces; large comfortable modern rooms and bathrooms. Despite reports of street carousing, we heard little over the weekend we stayed, whilst reports from other guests from hotels nearer town center were of pretty horrific noise levels (appears that locals start late. and drink to get wasted, and apparently suceed in their endeavours).
Pleased with our choice; perhaps the most comfortable bed and coverings we encountered on our extensive trip; good breakfast buffet (charge) to set one up for a 24 hour daylight day.
Nice art collection; helpful staff, faultless cleanliness and room presentation. Recommended.

1 Thank seaoceanbooks
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear seaoceanbooks.

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our services despite the threat of partygoers downtown. They certainly do start late and get rowdy so it is always possible that our guests are affected although we are on a quiet residential street.

We welcome you back to Hotel Holt anytime.
London
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Very happy with every aspect of the hotel - it has a huge amount of charm and personality, without ever being less than professional. Our room was a decent size and perfectly comfortable, the hotel decor was old-fashioned in the best sense of the word, and the staff were friendly and on the ball. My wife, son and I had a great stay, and one administrative hitch (a pre-payment that hadn't gone through before we arrived) was dealt with courteously and professionally. You can sort out the logistics of pretty much everything you might want to do in Reykjavik via the front desk, and it's also very handily located down a pretty side street right in the centre of the city. Very much recommended!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dleigh11
Kingston
Reviewed 11 June 2012

The somewhat anonymous exterior belies a traditional dark wood interior with much original artwork in the public areas. The dark wood extends to the interior decor of the rooms which is perhaps a little dated but showers/ bathrooms are up to date.

My wife son and i had a junior which was suitably spacious and available at a competitive rate. However we only stayed one night so unfortunately didn't get as much use of it as we would have liked. As it was we had to catch an early flight on Sunday morning and didn't really need the early morning call due to being kept wake all night by the noise from the constant stream of revellers in the street below on their way home from a night out. The hotel is well located close to the main shopping street and Hallgrímskirkja but in a residential area so we had expected it to be a little quieter than it was.

On the plus side the hotel had ample off street parking and complimentary coffee and juice waiting for us on checkout at 5.30am. All the staff were exceedingly friendly and efficient.

We would stay here again but maybe not on a Saturday night (or maybe ask for a room at the back not overlooking the street)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wrocki
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear wrocki.

Thank you for your kind words. I am surprised to see you were awake due to outside noise. I apologise for that. Our street is usually very quiet but you cannot always control everyone. However, if you would have given the front desk a call, I am sure we would have been able to investigate what was going on and remedied the inconvenience.

We are always more than happy to do all we can to accommodate requests for rooms facing away from the street but in general we have been able to pride ourselves on how quiet both sides of the house are.

I do hope you give us another try next time and we´ll make sure you have a full nights restful sleep.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Hotel Holt made me feel welcome before I even left my living room. The GM (who seems to read and respond to many reviews which I really appreciate) contacted me in person when seeing my attempts to book and threw in the breakfast when he found out my husband and I will be celebrating our anniversary. We were warmly welcomed when we arrived at 9am and offered an upgrade to a regular suite (from jr) as well as breakfast right that morning, very unexpected. We liked the relative quietness of the residential area and a quick wall to downtown. There was plenty of free parking around (we are from NY, there is never parking anywhere).
I love light modern decor so the furniture in the suite was not my taste but everything was comfortable, the deep tub even accommodated the two of us. Front desk staff was super helpful- when I asked for the address of a restaurant we were going to the next night the young man didn't just write it down but explained that it is located in the back alley, saving us 10 min of wandering around. Hotel Holt was a wonderful way to start our stay in Iceland and to celebrate 21 years of marriage and many travel adventures.

1 Thank ilasik
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear ilasik.

Thank you so much for your glowing review of Hotel Holt. With our relative small size as a 41 room hotel, we have the opportunity to cater to our guest needs better than other large chain hotels and this is an advantage we try utilize. I don´t hesitate to boast that my Guest Service Team is the best in Iceland and they all get a kick out of anticipating guest needs and making your visit a memorable one as well as me walking around the whole hotel with candy everytime we get a 5 star review such as this one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to see at Hotel Holt again soon.
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed 1 June 2012 via mobile

Hotel Holt was great. It was wonderful being surrounded by nice art. Even the trip down the stairwell was fun, with a different artful surprise around every corner. I would try to get a room on the fourth floor facing the street for the sweeping view of the city.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amnornes
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Amnornes.

Thank you very much for your great review of the hotel. We are happy you enjoyed the largest privately owned art collection in Iceland and hope you will continue to visit us. We are also trying to be active in social media, so I suggest you follow us on Facebook if you like to follow what is happening on the Icelandic art and social scene (Hotel Holt, Reykjavik).
For everyone´s information, the rooms on the 4th floor with the view are 3 Jr.Suites and 3 basic single rooms. These all have balconies and on a good day you have one of the most impressive views of the city. Thanks for noticing.