“not all that”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reykjavik, Iceland
“not all that”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed here for a week for business 2 years ago. I had a great price from Expedia on the room ($40 USD/night), but my room was dingy and small. Hot pink carpeting. Breakfast was nice, but I found the lounge to be more stuffy than warm. Passes to the gym/pool are a plus, but you need a car to get to these of site locations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear promo_jake.

Thank you for the pointers, although slightly unfair in my estimation to review a hotel 2 years after staying here.

We cannot do much about the size of the rooms, they are big enough for most but not big enough for some. We try to make up for that with our fantastic service. We are currently changing our carpets but this takes time when you are busy. Stuffy lounge? Sure isn´t nowadays at least. We have a nice mixture of hotel guests on business and leisure as well as plenty of locals from art schools and downtown revellers pass by.

I am trying to make a contract with the local indoor swimming pool to ensure free swimming for our guests within 7 minutes walk, but that is taking time. That is to address the distance between the hotel and the other option, which is worth the trip (Iceland´s largest fitness center and geothermal swimming pool).

I hope you will someday give us another try and see a big difference in experience since this is definitely not what we are aiming for.

Snorri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Finnish first
england
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Having just arrived back in England after a 3 night stay at Hotel Holt with a few friends I have to say we had a fabulous time, the hotel was really clean with very helpful and friendly staff who actually booked our trips for us and were very patient when we were deciding on which ones to do. Food was lovely and the breakfast had a very good variety, drinks are a little pricey in the bar which I think is the only flaw in this hotel . Seems a bit dated i.e dark wood and lots and lots of artwork but I think this adds to the character of the hotel. Shops and bars are only a short walk away. Sadly we never got to see the colourful northern lights only a slight bright cloud but hey ho the blue lagoon and helicopter ride made up for that. Would like to go back in the not too distant future :)) Some of the activities may need booking before you arrive i.e dog sleighing which was so popular it was booked fully for the next 3 weeks so we missed out :((

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sharron S
Dear Sharron S.

Thank you for the glowing review of the hotel and our services. I would point out that we have Happy Hour from 4-7pm each day where the drinks are very cheap. Outside those hours, they are not far above what you see elsewhere, without the comfortable surroundings.

But I am glad to see you will be trying for the Northern Lights again and we look forward to opening our doors to you when you do.

london
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed at the Holt for 5 nights in January. Quiet location but only a few minutes walk to the main street for restaurants. Ask for a top floor room with balcony, they are much larger and the view across Reykjavik is lovely..especially if you are lucky enough to see the Aurora.
Breakfast had enough variety..toast, bacon, boiled and scrambled eggs plus continental foods, fruit and yogurt..to keep you going. We also ate at the restaurant at the hotel on the last night. There are better restaurants around at more reasonable prices. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms and sheets were clean and the beds comfortable. There was also free WiFi.
We would definitely stay at the Holt if we returned to Reykavik.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are larger
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RogueTrini
Dear ashti.

Thank you for the review. I am glad you enjoyed the room and our service culture. I would like to point out that the rooms on the 4th floor are not necessarily larger. It sounds like we might have upgraded you from a double room to a Jr.Suite with a balcony without informing you. At least, to ensure a double room with a balcony, our guests need to book a Jr.Suite. Those Jr.Suites are actually slightly smaller than the Jr.Suites without a balcony.

I am disappointed to see you enjoyed other restaurants in Reykjavík more than the Gallery Restaurant. We are the holders of the Nordic Prize on behalf of Iceland and at the top of our game, culinary wise. But of course, there are many great options and of course different palates.

I hope to see you again soon at Hotel Holt.

Glasgow
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

Just back from a great stay here. A few pointers - looks dull and drab from outside but it is full of charm inside, if a little dated. Asked for a room with a view but didn't get one. Junior suit was ok but very warm.
Breakfast was fine and the reception staff very helpful

Stayed February 2013
2 Thank HappyScot3
Dear HappScot3.

Thank you for your short and sweet review through your mobile device. We appreciate it. We are fully aware that the outside of the hotel is not very current or appealing to all. We have decided to focus on what happens inside the hotel but eventually we will get to update the outside as well.

I´m sorry you didn´t get the room you requested. It has been an incredibly busy winter for us so, unfortunately, we have not been able to give everyone what they want all the time.

I hope you did like it enough to visit us again and we look forward to opening out doors to you again.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

In a quiet residential area this hotel is just a few minutes walk from the main shopping area and restaurants.
We were on the 4th floor on the front of the hotel. This afforded panoramic views of Reykjavik and, fortunately for us, a grandstand view of the Northern Lights from the comfort of our room or the small balcony outside.
At this time of year the balcony is an ideal spot to store drinks and keep them cool. The minibar is well stocked but requires a bank loan to enjoy it.
The bar is cosy but expensive, like all things in Iceland. We did not visit the hotel restaurant but it comes highly recommended.
Friendly and helpful staff compliment this comfortable hotel.
The city is an interesting mix of architectural styles with plenty of communist bloc concrete, slowly giving way to more modern glass structures and interspersed with older, quainter and colourful corrugated iron clad houses.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor at the front of the hotel offer the best views of the city, the mountains, su...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 1957Steve
Dear 1957Steve.

Thank you for the nice review. I will make a note of your criticism of our minibar prices. We do try to keep them lower than at other hotels but of course, this is always a significantly more expensive option than popping out to the supermarket. The same I have to say about our bar. The prices are similar to other bars in town except we are renowned for our happy hour from 4pm to 7pm each day. I would have liked to see you enjoy it at that time at least.

I´m glad you enjoyed the architecture in Reykjavík and hope you were able to enjoy the free ticket to the church tower we afford our guests.

We hope to welcome you soon again at Hotel Holt.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful property during my 4 days in Reykjavik, combining business with pleasure, read more of those in my other recommendations.
I arrived late evening and did not pay much attention, my first impression was that the hotel seemed somewhat worn.
After a good night sleep it seemed as my first impression was not as I thought. A nice ambience met me around the house, with one of the largest private art collections on Iceland, very friendly, service minded and most helpful staff and a nice breakfast buffet with your main needs of your breakfast.
The hotel bar is very charming with an open fire place with nice selection in the bar and seemed very busy during Fridays and Saturdays which for me says a lot! I had a nice room with basic TV, no pay TV, but hey you're on Iceland and you should be out and exploring. For those few hours to kill it had what I needed to see.
The rooms seems also a bit old but again, for me, it all had such a warm charm to it and you thought of forgot the small things but on the larger scale it all was very great to me! I slept perfect in the comfy beds, cleaning of the room was good as well.
Also in house they have a lovely fine dining restaurant, this will also be reviewed by itself.
I would love to go back and stay at this charming hotel with such a welcome home feeling!
The hotel is located close to Downtown Reykjavik where you have all major attractions in walking distance. During the summer should you get tired of walking you can take the hop on/off bus around Reykjavik as in many other big cities around the world.
There is free wifi in the entire hotel.

Room Tip: Would you like a balcony with a view choose one of the rooms on the 4th floor with city view.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank TheTrueGreatDane
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear Great Dane.

It was a true pleasure having you stay with us and we very much value your detailed review of the hotel and the Gallery Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you again and again.
Leicester
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stayed at Hotel Holt for 3 nights on a long weekend away. It's positioned in a quiet residential area but only a couple of minutes walk to the local bakery and 5 minutes from all the action.

From the outside the hotel doesn't look much but on the inside its very nice. Old fashioned style in public areas with soft leather sofas, dark brown wall panelling and lots of art on the walls.

Staff were helpful with making restaurant reservations and arranging coach pickups - all spoke very good English. Rooms were basic but more than sufficient with all the facilities you'd expect. Didn't experience any road noise but walls between rooms did seem pretty thin.

Breakfast consisted of breads, hams and cheeses, hot bacon and scrambled eggs, cereal, pastries, fresh fruit, yogurts and juices & hot drinks. All were fine and the breakfast room was nice too.

Didn't use the highly recommended Gallery restaurant as there wasn't one vegetarian option on offer. I understand it was more Icelandic fayre but 1 or 2 vegetarian options would go a long way to expand the number of diners that could use the restaurant. This was a shame as it did look like a great place to dine.

Overall I'd recommend the hotel and wouldn't hesitate in returning. If you're able to get a good deal including breakfast then even better. A revision of the restaurant menu to include at least one vegetarian option I'm sure would bring in more diners and a bit of a brightening up of the hotel exterior would definitely enhance the curb appeal.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ItchyFeeet
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear ItchyFeet.

Thank you for the glowing review and the pointers about the exterior and the vegetarian option. It is a pity you didn´t ask a waiter or the reception because although the menu doesn´t include vegetarian options, the kitchen is more than ready, willing and able to cook up a storm in that department.

For Icelandic chefs, the menu is kind of like a musicians record release. They want the album to have a theme and a certain ambiance but in concert, if someone has a request that is a little out of the ordinary, they are of course happy to oblige. Of course, in your case, they lost out on valuable business because of this misunderstanding. I have informed them of this and they will take your pointers under consideration for the next menu.

We look forward to welcoming you many more times, both at Gallery Restaurant and Hotel Holt.