“Perfect Hotel!”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We enjoyed this hotel during our week stay in Reykjavik. It was very clean and the rooms were very nice. We had a single and superior room. The superior room was quite large and suitable for our family of 4. Only negative thing was the sofa bed was quite uncomfortable even with the foam padding that was added but the staff were very eager to help.
Breakfast was also good and the staff stocked it well. Perfect location in a very nice area of town on a quiet street (away from the clubs and other noise-it was very quiet but we did face the back of the hotel and were on the top floor - 4th floor) and only a 5 minute walk from the main shopping areas. Great hotel and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lkgervitz

Dear Ikgervitz.

Perfect? Well, I can´t ask for more. I´m blushing. Thank you for the review. I cannot see who you are from your user name but I would love to know which room you stayed in so that we may replace the sleeper sofa you are referring to. If you have a couple of minutes, please send me an e-mail stipulating where in the hotel you stayed.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon!

Reviewed 2 March 2013

We stayed Monday to Friday as a surprise for my 40th Birthday. I loved every minute of my time in Iceland and this hotel.

Staff were really friendly and very helpful, the location is great (close enough to bars/restaurants, etc but far enough away to be quiet) and I felt there was a really nice atmosphere throughout. The dark wood and art work throughout really give the hotel a sense of character and mark it out as different from many of the more bland hotels we've stayed in previously.

We didn't use the bar or restaurant in the hotel as we were out on excursions for most of our time but they certainly aren't over priced compared to other places in Reykjavik and we were told by a few locals that the restaurant is very good - sadly, we had to cancel our reservation due to a rearranged Northen Lights tour.

We really fell in love with Iceland and Reykjavik and plan in returning to see it in the summer. When we do, the Hotel Holt will be our preferred place to stay.

1  Thank Total13

Dear Total13.

Thank you so much for your kind words. We do try our best to maintain a friendly and cozy atmosphere. I am glad to see it is coming through to the guests. Please let me know when you are planning to visit during summer because those dates book very fast.

Hopefully, you were able to see the Northern Lights. Otherwise, you have an excuse to visit us next winter.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

We booked through 'Travel Republic' and got a double room for 3 nights including breakfast for £175 - a lot cheaper than anywhere else we looked.
The hotel is in a great location, just a short walk from some very good restaurants and bars.
The hotel was surprisingly luxurious with big leather sofa's, wood panelled reception area, bar and lounges.
The breakfast was very good and the staff very very helpful - we also booked all our trips and transfers through them.
(If you're travelling to Iceland to see the northern lights, as we were. Try and go when there isn't a full moon)

Room Tip: Our room was at the back, possibly because we paid a very cheap rate. It was a bit noisy with delive...
1  Thank keithSurrey

Dear KeithSurrey.

Thank you for the glowing review. This rate must have been a mistake on our part. It is embarrassingly low :)
I am glad you made good use of our concierge services and enjoyed them.

Let me assure you that the location of your room had nothing to do with your rate. We have been unusually busy for this time of year so it is entirely possible that more deliveries mean more noise. We will certainly look into how we can minimize that.

Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a birthday present for my husband. I emailed the hotel a few times before I went asking various questions and advice on things. They were excellent in their responses and really helped me before we arrived. We were given an amazing room with a huge balcony overlooking the rejakvik. It was a shame the northern lights were not out otherwise this would have been outstanding. The rooms do not contain baths only showers but there are plenty of geothermal swimming pools if you fancy a warm bath. The hotel gives free entry to the biggest outdoor swimming pool and gym. The pool had a Huge heated pool and hot pools its quite a walk but worth doing. Hotel is excellently located just of the Main Street and easy walking distance to everything. The breakfast is nice offering croissants, pain au chocolat, bread, toast, fruit salad etc. it can get little repetitive if you there for a week as the selection is not as big as we've had before but still good and excellent croissants. The staff are some of the most helpful and friendly we have ever had the pleasure of having. They went above and beyond to make my husbands birthday so special. They were always there to help and make calls for us and we had constant communication. The hotel may seem masculine in decor and a little dated but I would say from visiting other places this is just Icelandic style. The hotel has a real charm about it and such excellent customer service I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in rejakvik. If you can spare the extra money definitely upgrade to the rooms with a view.. Well worth the extra pice. Amazing holiday thank you hotel holt :)

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Tinkwills

Dear Tinkwills.

Wow! Thank you for staying with us and sharing your satisfaction! It was a pleasure to have you with us and to participate in the big birthday.

We will definitely turn the Northern Lights on the next time you visit us :)

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I booked a Junior Suite for myself and my two children. The hotel was easy to find and had a small (but big enough) car park which was handy as we had a hire car. Literally 2 minutes walk from the church and the main shopping areas of Reykjavik. The hotel has a nice "classic" feel to it throughout the public areas and the rooms. It felt a little dated in areas but that is all part of the charm. Without exception every member of staff was polite, friendly and helpful and we had a great time. The breakfast buffet was not too extensive on choice, but there was plenty of quantity! And the kids had a great time in the tiny, tiny lift up to the 3rd floor where our room was. A great location for a short break and we certainly had a fantastic time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank James H
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear James H.

Thank you for the review of our hotel and our services. We appreciate you taking the time to share them. We are aware of some of our decor being dated and we are gradually working on improvements in that area. We are one of very few family owned hotels left in Reykjavík so we will go slowly but surely in that department and not jeopardize our charm in the process.

We look forward to welcoming you at Hotel Holt again and again.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Arrived at this hotel at 2pm on Saturday, to be told that the room I had booked (and paid for!) weeks before, was unavailable and that we would have to move to an extremely unimpressive looking hotel a few streets away.Although I was told at first that I had cancelled, then that they had lost my email address - neither true - it turns out that they had overbooked.
After a furious (on my part) argument, the manager was sent for; he arrived 25 minutes later (from home apparently-no manager on duty in the middle of the day!), we were upgraded to a small suite and a bottle of Cava(!) sent in apology. Now to me the extraordinary thing is: if they had overbooked and couldn't give us the room I had booked, why on earth, if they still had room in the hotel, they didn't offer the upgrade immediately. A very poor show, extremely unprofessional,a hugely disappointing end to our stay in Iceland, and therefore I cannot recommend this hotel .

2  Thank Judy J

Dear Judy J.

Thank you for your review and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. I am pleased to have this platform to reply although I fear it is too late to convince you of our intentions.

Let me make one thing very clear. We do not overbook the hotel as a rule. However, we do have a duty towards our staying guests and by law, we cannot kick them out if they need to stay longer for any reason. In your case, we had a long time return guest who had an accident and could not leave on Friday or Saturday so we did need to move someone to another hotel. From what I understand, our receptionist had a difficult time explaining that to you because of your upset state.

We usually do not need a manager on duty in our small hotel to manage the one member of staff we have in the reception on weekends since when these unfortunate situations arise, we usually are able to get the guest´s understanding and try to reward them accordingly. In your case, our Guest Service Manager was here well before the 25 minute wait you mention and did all he could to calm the situation.

You find it extraordinary that we had the room all along? We most certainly did NOT have the room for you all along. We simply had to complicate things and move other guests to the other hotel, which is more than acceptable as a competitor to us and within 2 minutes walk from our doors.

I am certainly not interested in profiting from your dissatisfaction so you will see a full refund of your stay in your account within a couple of weeks (it is already done but can take a couple of weeks to show up on your card statement).

I sincerely hope you were able to enjoy other parts of your journey in Iceland and we will use this unfortunate incident as a training item to improve our services in the future.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed here for a week for business 2 years ago. I had a great price from Expedia on the room ($40 USD/night), but my room was dingy and small. Hot pink carpeting. Breakfast was nice, but I found the lounge to be more stuffy than warm. Passes to the gym/pool are a plus, but you need a car to get to these of site locations.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear promo_jake.

Thank you for the pointers, although slightly unfair in my estimation to review a hotel 2 years after staying here.

We cannot do much about the size of the rooms, they are big enough for most but not big enough for some. We try to make up for that with our fantastic service. We are currently changing our carpets but this takes time when you are busy. Stuffy lounge? Sure isn´t nowadays at least. We have a nice mixture of hotel guests on business and leisure as well as plenty of locals from art schools and downtown revellers pass by.

I am trying to make a contract with the local indoor swimming pool to ensure free swimming for our guests within 7 minutes walk, but that is taking time. That is to address the distance between the hotel and the other option, which is worth the trip (Iceland´s largest fitness center and geothermal swimming pool).

I hope you will someday give us another try and see a big difference in experience since this is definitely not what we are aiming for.