“Wood Paneled Heaven”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Berlin, Germany
“Wood Paneled Heaven”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This is my dream hotel. It is like walking out of the streets of Reykjavík into another era. A prettier one.

The walls are wood paneled, and the most beautiful paintings and drawings hang on them. The couple that built the hotel in the 60s were art collectors, and their treasures are on display throughout the hotel. It's dim, there are many book shelves full of pretty books and the sofas are just so comfy!

The bedrooms follow the same spirit of the hotel, and the decor is somewhere in the elegant part of the 70s. Our room wasn't big, but wasn't small as well. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. The bathroom didn't have a bathtub but the shower was good. There were bathrobes and toiletries. Our room was on the back of the hotel, so it was quiet.

The breakfast was really good, diverse and well executed. The tiles in the breakfast room are gorgeous.

Treating yourself to a meal at the restaurant is worth the price. The food is amazing and the service is impecable. Also, some of the best paintings in the collection are there, and it feels wonderful to eat great food in such good company.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ncrln81
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear ncrln81.

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. A truly unique description of our facilities and services. A most enjoyable read. It looks like you live in Hveragerði. Please let me know the next time you are in town and I will take you on a personal tour of the art collection.

Snorri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This is the third hotel where I've stayed in Reykjavik and it is my favorite. The location was lovely, overlooking the square and slightly away from all the nightlife. The room was spacious and clean. Very efficient check-in and check-out; got a terrific rate that was much cheaper than some of the less nice hotels in the city, so I very much enjoyed my stay and would return.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking square
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheLadyinRed03
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear TheLadyinRed03.

Thank you for the warm words about the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to share your satisfaction with the Tripadvisor community.
We look forward to welcoming you at Hotel Holt again in the future.

Colorado, USA
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Our stay here was very pleasant. The staff was very friendly, and the accomodations were excellent. The hotel towels were soft and fluffy, and the hotel was very conveniently located.

There is a bakery two blocks down the street with delicious bread and pastries if you want to save quite a bit on breakfast.

We stayed here twice during our travels around Iceland. The first time, wifi worked perfectly in my room. The second time I had to come down to the lobby to access internet. Also, the second time we ended up with a room that wouldn't open if you turned the doorknob too quickly, as well as a toilet that took some jiggling to get it to flush. Even with those issues, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again (though I might look into other options first)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank linteater
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear linteater.

Thank you for your review. I would love to know which room you stayed in since we just recently updated the WiFi and expect perfect connection no matter how many devices are connected. Needless to say, I am deeply disappointed to see you did not experience that and it says you stayed in March so you should have been able to without a problem. If you are able to get in contact with us and inform us of which room you stayed in, I would greatly appreciate it.

Of course, that would be useful for the other small things you found lacking as well.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Hotel Holt
London
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The hotel was not at all bad in any way, it was just that it was a bit of a let down.
it had both its good and bad points, but something it completely lacked was any form of life - it just seemed so dead.

The hotel itself if approximately located nearly half a kilometre away down some very small side street from the main shopping street 'Laugavegar'. It's a very small road and one whereby when planning a day out, you have to get a local mini-bus to pick you up, whereas a coach cannot do this and the nearest coach park is about a good km away at least as well.

Lot's of your time will obviously be out of Reykjavik, and every time you need a coach to do this. This is where there are many better positioned hotels than the Hotel Holt which is closer to the terminals and has a better view!

Our room was in a good presentable state. However it had no simple things like a 'kettle', which defies belief considering this is considered one of Reykjavik's better hotels. Every time on the way back I would buy a hot drink to compensate. The room view sucked. Then we had the fact the shower water smelt so badly of sulphur it makes you gag. It's like rotten eggs. The problem is not the hotel itself - this is a nationwide issue to use the natural resources where they can in return for cheap heating. But I do know some other hotels do not suffer this issue.

So for the food. Well, it was French. I prefer French food in France, and even in Paris I'm sure it would have been less expensive. So I was not prepared to pay £60 for a bit of beef tenderloin. Madness. I could feast on a proper tenderloin in a proper michelin star restaurant in Bray for half that amount with a better dining experience I'm sure.

Continuing on the negative vibe, we had no Internet for a couple of days either.
So onto the positives.

The staff were friendly. For a country that weirdly relies on tourism after they realised they were not well equipped to being a banking super-power, Icelandic friendliness is not a given. So thumbs up to our hotel for this. English speaking in Iceland is really not an issue - they are well educated people - just one big group of middle class. I did start to think if they had things such as bin men and tramps. I digress.....

Room was cleaned every day and the common parts were a delight with a plethora of paintings, sculptures etc. Nice and homely. Loved the lift as well, if not a little small. But very quick. I was thinking our 40 storey London landmarks could do with something like this. It's all about the door closing times; press button, 3 seconds later lift arrived with manual door opening. No waiting for the 'bing bing' 10 seconds later door opens and 10 further seconds later door closes. Little things you see? Love the lift! But I digress further...

The hotel locks its doors at silly o-clock, which was quite a shock when arriving from London at the wee hours of 2am on Friday night.

So to conclude: Nice friendly hotel in very quiet area in relatively close proximity to everything to see in Reykjavik. Not the best in-room amenities and not the best atmosphere where other places like a certain hostel I shouldn't mention did a far better job.

If you're young and adventurous, my advice? Stay in a hostel, honestly. I'm a luxury traveller and I could even see the major advantages. If you're of the older saga generation, then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank davicio
Dear davicio.

Thank you for your review although I have to say it is one of the worst researched and unfair I´ve seen us receive. I welcome the chance to address your negative points as they are mostly either not pertinent only to us or can easily be viewed as positives. Here we go:

-Lacked life? That is quite simply ludicrous! You say yourself that you arrived at 2am from London on a Friday night. That is precisely the reason we need to lock the doors and why we are perfectly placed in town to shelter our guests from the rowdy downtown crowd. I´m equally sure that you would have been outraged, had you encountered a lobby full of life and noise at that time of the night. I am sorry we have to keep the door locked but I´m sure you didn´t have to wait more than 30 seconds after ringing the bell as our night watch is almost next to the door.

-Our street is not so small that it doesn´t allow for larger coaches to pick you up for tours. The tour companies pick guests up from EVERY hotel on a smaller coach and switch at their headquarters. That is for their convenience, not ours. There are certainly hotels in the noisy center of downtown where you could book so you could just jump outside and grab the tour without a pick-up but that is only one company. We are the closest Hotel to the biggest company´s headquarters but in the middle between that and their biggest competitor, so no more than 10 minutes walk to their respective starting points. Not fair of you to imply Bergstaðastræti is so small that it might just be the only street in Reykjavík that needs smaller bus pick-ups.

-It is regrettable that your room seems to have been without a kettle. This should have been rectified immediately. It must have been stolen or broken and we have spares to give you immediately, had you informed us of this. I will remedy this at once.

-Thank you for the review on the view that "sucked". We do not sell rooms based on view but we have some that have a more pleasant view than others. I will leave your words about that to judge themselves.

-In regards to the sulphur smell of the hot water, you are dead wrong! ALL hotels and houses in Iceland have been heated with geothermal water since the 50´s. There is no other option and the smell is not worse in one place than another. A very unfair statement with no basis in reality and you point that out but couldn´t help but maintain that you know places that don´t have this smell. Untrue.

-60GBP for a Beef Tenderloin?!?! I am not sure you were even staying in our hotel. The menu is available for all to see on our website (sadly I cannot put links in my replies) and I´m sure you will be very pleasantly surprised when you see your credit card bill because you seem to be doubling the value of the ISK versus the GBP. Restaurants are expensive in Iceland and the Gallery Restaurant is the best in Iceland but I am sure you would have enjoyed the tenderloin had you tried it, at 29GBP. As for the French influence with Icelandic ingredients. Of course you are free to choose but if you had to eat nothing but viking food because you were in Iceland, you would have been very dissapointed with the fermeneted shark and haggis diet.

-WiFi out? I am not sure when you stayed with us but just two weeks ago we updated our network at a huge cost to include better connection to all smart phones and devices with worse antennas than laptops. If the network was down during your stay it must have been during the transition and it was never down longer than 2 hours in the middle of the day. We updated the network as a preventitive action since we believe a good Wi Fi connection is as important as running water in our hotel. It is never down for days. No hotel would survive that in Iceland.

-I know the hostel you refer to but I assure you they have to close their bar at 11pm as to not bother the dorm room guests. Our bar is open till at least that and everybody wins but you seem to be looking for more of a party atmosphere which is not to be found at Hotel Holt at 2am (nor any hostel actually).

Of course you are always welcome to stay with us again but I think you have already realized we should see other people and you are better off at a "party" hostel.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We have just returned from our stay & I feel compelled to write this review as the service was excellent, reception staff were so helpful at all times and went above & beyond expectation. I had an issue with an excursion & the receptionist phoned on her mobile & sorted it out as soon as I mentioned it. The rooms are very comfortable and although we only had breakfasts as we ate out on an evening the food was buffet style with plenty of choice. Overall I would certainly recommend the Holt Hotel to anyone visiting Reykjavik

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank cagsy243
Dear cagsy243.

Thank you ever so much for your glowing review. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your satisfaction. I love when our team "compells" people to write a review with their attitude and service culture.

Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed overnight last Saturday and had an enjoyable stay. The hotel is decorated beautifully and was full of activity given they were part of a food & wine fest going on in the Gallery restaurant. Our room was on the 4th floor and was good sized, with a small detached living room area. The staff at breakfast and at the front desk were friendly and helpful.
Parking was definitely tight, I'm not sure how it is normally but given the event they were hosting, we had troubles.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JTRos
Dear Jenny T.

Thank you for the short and sweet review. We appreciate it. Parking is usually ample but as you point out, the Food and Fun festival gave us a bit of trouble. They had 3 full seatings each night, which is unusual for fine dining and the hotel was full with a fair few Icelanders who usually bring their cars as well.

Parking should not be an issue the other 350 days of the year :).

We look forward to opening our doors to you the next time you are in Reykjavík.
Hamar, Norway
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Very disapointing. After having done much research on quality and location this hotel gambled on guest not showing up. The result was that we didn't got the rooms that we prepayed. The only compansation we got was a free taxi to another hotel that was much further away from the city center and breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LarsAlh
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Mr. LarsAhl.

I feel terrible that we had to turn you away due to a systems oversight on my part. For such a small hotel, it would be crazy to bet on people not showing up. I would understand it in a 200 room hotel but we certainly are not gambling with people´s holidays.

We simply got too many bookings through one channel that I had failed to close down. Since your booking was the most recent, I had to move you to the other hotel. It was further from the center as the whole city was full that weekend.

I am very sorry you did all that research for nothing and would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Please, contact me directly through our website or live chat, and we can figure something out.