“Honeymoon”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Worcester, MA
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I spent two nights in Iceland. We did not know what to expect. From the time the shuttle left us off at the hotel, we knew we picked the right place. The staff was phenomenal. The hotel is in the perfect downtown location. We could walk everywhere. I noticed a previous comment that said it was not luxurious. It was spotless and maybe it was not luxurious but the service was definitely 5 diamond. I was in France at a luxurious hotel but I felt like the staff was doing me a favor whenever I asked for something. Not at the Hotel Holt, they enjoyed doing things for the guests.

I have already recommended this hotel to everyone that I have spoken to.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarkWorcesterMA
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear MarkWorcesterMA.

Phenomenal? Wow! That is high praise indeed. Thank you for sharing your happiness with the rest of the Tripadvisor community. I am delighted you found our guest service team to be enjoying their work. With guests like you, how could they not?

I look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Holt again in the near future.

Snorri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Finnish first
Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Firstly the hotel and its art and total ambience is refreshing. The stark and sterile modern hotels have nothing on similar types of hotel like the Holt. My wife and I found the hotel terrific. The staff were great and very helpful. The restaurant serves exceptional food with a superb, extensive wine list to match. Our room was a suite and was of a good size. It was comfortable, clean and gave us what we wanted from a hotel room especially after spending 17 days driving around Iceland and staying in a wide variety of accommodation. Breakfast was good and we enjoyed the offerings. The walk to main street and other areas is ok. Nothing to get upset about. Its a walk. That's what we have legs for -walking. There is only one negative - street and aircraft noise. The hotel is on a busy street. Car noise WILL be a problem for light sleepers. The occasional aircraft landing can also be a problem. We stayed for 2 days, if we were staying longer then we would have asked for a rear facing room. Other than that the hotel is very good and worthy of consideration.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room - and enjoy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ausman57
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Ausman57.

Thank you very much for the great words of encouragement. We love it when our guests share our view on being slightly unique. I am especially glad you were able to enjoy the restaurant during your. I know the team at Gallery Restaurant would be very grateful if you had the time to give them a separate review but I will be sure to pass on your delight to them regardless.

In regards to the street noise, that is regrettable. I would have been happy to move you to the back of the house for a sounder sleep experience. We have been getting more traffic with more tourists in our street and the city as a whole but we still maintain our street is the most quiet in the downtown area for a hotel. I will reiterate with the housekeeping department that we need to have the room at a temperature when you arrive that does not force you to keep your windows open. I don´t expect to be a problem moving into winter, though ;).

I hope to see you again at Hotel Holt soon and wish you a pleasant winter in Australia.
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have just returned from spending 5 nights n Reykjavik and was delighted with the country and hotel. don't expect bellmen to haul your luggage, there is a tiny elevator for this 4 story large version of a B&B. the single rooms were tiny and simple but after one night I found the size appropriate and cozy. don't be put off by the smell of sulphur in the water taps. the water is pure but it is rather offensive for drinking.
the breakfast buffets are delicious and the one evening we ate here it was sensational if rather slow and tedious. 3 1/2 hours from start to finish but you need to taste the delicious desserts.
the art in the main rooms are by Icelandic natives and to be enjoyed by all. the front desk staff was courteous and knowledgeable.
the international film festival is rather a distance from the hotel so be prepared for taxis unless you are in excellent shape for walking.

Room Tip: all rooms were about the same size, the only noise would be from the early morning garbage trucks
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank phoebeparker
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear pheobeparker.

Thank you for the kind words about the hotel and our services. I will look into why dinner took so long. That is unusual. The Film Festival was all over town so it really depends on which theater you were going to for the walks but certainly, we are slightly out the noise and hustle bustle of the main street and if you are not much of a walker, a short taxi ride is just what the doctor ordered.

The cold tab water is great for drinking but we also have bottled water in the minibar for those who prefer :).

I look forward to welcoming you for next year´s Reykjavík International Film Festival.
London, UK
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The hotel is well located in a quiet residential area but an easy walk to central shops etc. The hotel website describes it as "quaint". This may be accurate. By no normal standards could it be judged First Class or 4*. The room I had was tiny with a view of a flat roof. The window sills (inside) hadn't been cleaned for some time. The bar on a Friday at 20.30 hrs had no staff. They are summoned by ringing a bell, repeatedly, and waiting 13 minutes. A person arrives, serves a drink, and leaves. Then another bell ringing session if another drink is required.
Breakfast is adequate, but the "scrambled" eggs are simply a large lump of egg, off which a piece is cut. The two young ladies at breakfast are ONLY there to take room number. Once taken they retreat to a back room to chat.
The hotel is old and looks tired. I have no problem with old hotels if they are clean and provide modern conveniences such as currency conversion (the Holt was out of local currency). The walls of dark faux wood panelling are covered with "art" of which the hotel seems proud for some bizarre reason.
I've stayed in many of Reykjavik's hotels over the years and this is my first and last visit to the Holt. It simply doesn't compare to the many hotels in the city which are bright and efficiently managed and where the staff really do want to help.

Room Tip: Try the Hilton Nordica
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BobLondon_UK
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear BobLondon_UK.

First of all, thank you for sharing your experience, although I am very disappointed to see it was not up to the standards you were expecting. It seems like there was a perfect storm of everything going wrong for your visit and I will go into details with my team to rectify the parts you mention and are within our control. You certainly should never feel like the guest service team is not taking care of you and currency exchange should always be available although it is usually so expensive that most guests choose to use their credit cards in Reykjavík, which are accepted literally everywhere.

Some of our rooms certainly are not large in size but cleanliness is usually never a problem in our hotel. I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact us directly so I can investigate which room you stayed in and make sure everything is up to standard everywhere.

I do have to protest you putting the word art in quotation marks. We have Iceland´s largest privately owned art collection filling the walls of the hotel that are most certainly not faux wood. This collection includes paintings from all the greatest painters in the history of Iceland. Painters that have similar paintings in the president´s residence, the federal bank and other official buildings. I understand that landscapes and portraits are not everyone´s cup of tea, but this is certainly something a huge majority of our guests appreciates immensely.

I will be taking steps with my team to improve on all the things we can improve on and use your comments to prevent such disappointment with another guest in the future.

I wish you an enjoyable stay elsewhere the next time you visit our fair city.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We have just returned from spending five nights at the hotel. It was a wonderful experience. The staff at the front desk were always incredibly helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they genuinely gave service with a smile. Like a previous reviewer we had a superior double at the front of the hotel. But unlike them we did not experience undue noise. I am pleased that we had the extra space and a bath because at the end of a full day's touring we were able to relax and charge our batteries before going out for a superb meal (at every restaurant bar one). The hotel is comfortable and we thought exceptionally well located being no more than a five/ten minute walk from the main streets and maybe 15 minutes from the centre. We walked at night and did not feel threatened in any way. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the rooms clean and warm. We needed to leave windows open at night. And of course an infinite supply of hot water and beautifully clear drinking water in the cold taps. The only aspect that could be improved is the breakfast - it is perfectly adequate but a limited buffet which was the same every day. We ate at the Gallery restaurant one evening and took the chef's tasting menu, which was delicious. Wine in Iceland is very expensive but at least the restaurant provides half bottles of decent wine. Reykjavik is a "village" and totally charming. We took two jeep trips and just had the most wonderful holiday. We have vowed to return next year to see some other parts of the island. There can be no friendlier people in the world than the Icelanders who are justly so proud of their country and it's achievements. Highly recommended!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Wonderlander65
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Wonderlander65.

Thank you so much for the glowing reference for your stay. It is always a true pleasure to know we are impressing our guests to this degree. Thank you for the pointers regarding breakfast. We have certainly heard this before and we are continuing to try and improve breakfast. Having different things available each day has backfired on us sometimes as some guests start expecting the same everyday. Different tastes, I suppose. But if we keep adding more variety, everyone should have something new to try everyday.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Nice hotel in the center of Reykjavik with a perfect restaurant. The rooms are small but they are comfortable and have everythgin you need.
It is a nice hotel and jsut some minutes Walking from the city center.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Arne P
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Arne P.

Thank you for the short and sweet review of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again at Hotel Holt.

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We spent 7 nights at Hotel Holt and even before we arrived the customer service was excellent. With it's online chat facility I had my questions answered fully prior to arrival. The hotel arranged our transfer from/to the airport and advised the best way to book excursions and booked everything for us on arrival. The hotel itself is quite small and is set in a residential area so it is fairly quiet. It is only a few minutes walk to main shopping/bars/restaurants areas....no need to use taxis or buses to get around. The only noise was from other guest coming back in at night but once they settled it was ok; there is some traffic noise in the night from a few cars but it is not a busy road. From the outside the hotel is very plain looking but as soon as you enter there is a relaxed air and you immediately feel comfortable in the tasteful surroundings with its dark wood paneling and leather chairs and sofas. The art work may not be to everyone's taste but it does add to the character. The bar area is very busy during the happy hour 4pm - 7pm with locals and there is a good atmosphere. As soon as happy hour is over they move on elsewhere. Check out the tourist free paper Grapevine for details of all the bars/restaurants etc in Reykjavik. The hotel provide it in your room.The breakfast was of a good standard and there was plenty of choice. The rooms are a little tired and could do with some updating. Our room had a faulty window which couldn't be closed completely and there was a loose electrical socket.This didn't bother us. Apart from that it had everything you need in a hotel room....comfortable beds, tea/coffee making facilities, TV (BBC and ITV) a free to use safe, small bathroom but with an excellent shower (ignore the rotten egg smell...your in Iceland, it's expected), toiletries, towels and bathrobes. There are plush red carpets throughout the rooms and corridors.
Our stay at Hotel Holt was made all the more enjoyable due to Elisa and Sigrun who worked on reception; they were friendly, professional and helpful and even at the end of a long shift they always greeted us with a smile and inquired about our day. I would definitely stay at Hotel Holt again.

Room Tip: Before arriving use the online chat facility, it really helped and I used it to ensure we had the ty...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BlackPanda_12
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear BlackPanda_12.

Thank you for the kind words, especially about Elísa and Sigrún. I am always delighted when guests are impressed with our team enough to remember their names.
In regards to room renovations, the are ongoing. In the next two years, all our rooms will be renovated with a fresher look.
I would welcome an e-mail from you, telling us what room you stayed in since we certainly do not want to leave windows and sockets out of order. I will find out before too long but an e-mail would certainly speed up the process.

I look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Holt again in the future.