“A fantastic time”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
London, United Kingdom
“A fantastic time”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Our Iceland break was booked quite a while ago and my husband and I had been eagerly awaiting it. The 19th of October was finally here, off on our first break away from the children in 26 years!! We were not disappointed at all.
From our arrival we felt at home and relaxed. The hotel is beautiful and warm and cosy. The art is magnificent, did not get to look at enough and the library has beautiful books. Our room was perfect for us two. Very nice bed, warm quilts-so nice to have one each.
We had been through quite a stressful time before we left the UK and this break lifted our spirits so thank you to all of the staff, we cannot wait to come back.

3 Thank mikahaga
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear mikahaga.

Touching. If we can lift all our guest´s spirits, we will sleep well each night, hopefully like our guests.

You are always welcome through our doors.
Snorri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Finnish first
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I recently (October 2013) spent six nights at the Holt.
If you are looking for the latest in slick modern hotel fashions with all mod cons and remote superior obsequious staff, the Holt is not for you. First impressions are of a rather old fashioned, four star hotel; scrupulously clean and comfortable, centrally located close to embassies and shops, but whisper quiet rooms, with a surprising amount of original art work on the walls. Staying at the hotel, however, is like being a welcome guest in a contented family. The staff are wonderful. Available 24 hours a day, nothing, but nothing was too much trouble, and they also went the extra mile to solve problems & think constructively in this guest's favour, for instance in avoiding multiple credit card charges, or persuading their computer to produce a boarding pass,
What I liked about my single room was that it was spacious, far from the usual broom cupboard, had a comfortable 3/4 bed, plenty of tea & coffee, a modern shower & toilet - and, bliss! - windows I could open at will. Further, there were no irritating, patronising signs telling me what to do with my plentiful towels - just a small advert in case I wished to meet a local artist. Another single room I saw was smaller, but had a small balcony with a view over the town.

The breakfast was varied and what you would expect of a good hotel. My friend and I only ate once in the restaurant, and that too was good, though I found the servings gargantuan.

Improvements, I would suggest:1. I could have done with an easy chair in my room, but, in the hotel, there were many nooks and crannies with comfortable chairs where one could sit & talk without feeling obliged to buy a drink at the bar. 2.The new shower recess seemed slippery, perhaps a mat, or roughing up of the surface? 3.I was surprised not to have a room safe, but probably the art work is worth more than anything I'd be likely to have in my luggage. 4. I would have appreciated a little space in the room fridge for one's own snacks - foreigners find food in Iceland expensive too.

For me, this Hotel was perfect, and great value for the money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Possiblyrobin
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Possiblyrobin.

Thank you for your lovely review of our services and facilities. I love it when our guests feel like they are a part of our family of team members. It means we are doing something right.

For your pointers, thank you. Very constructive and I will look into all of them. All rooms should have safes but you must have landed on one of the two that have broken down in recent weeks. I am looking at a new set for all rooms currently.

I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I would not say i am a demanding individual but when i start finding lists of failures there must be something wrong. First attention to detail is important in all hotels
The standard room we stayed in is not shown in the photographs a refurbished room is, of which i am led to believe only a quarter have been done
Our room had a blood stain on the net curtain at eye level, had a window that didnt lock, a shower that would only be very hot and hot and electrical wires were insecure. I am an engineer so knew it wasnt dangerous, but still not in a hotel. It should have been spotted when cleaning.We arrived on a friday evening,the shower, window and curtain were reported straight away the wires on leaving. The curtain was changed on sunday when we pointed it out to the receptionist as the cleaner could not see the mark, the shower fixed on monday but the window not repaired during our visit.
Due to the window the room was quite noisy as icelandic tyres on the road make a lot of noise
The room was clean and comfortable had tea and coffee facilities, bathrobes and complimentary toiletries
We ate breakfast at the hotel, very nice and lot of choice, we did eat early at 7am so the food had just been put out, as it is a self serve buffet
We ate at the gallery restaurant and that was fantastic
The staff were friendly and informative, i felt they would help you in any way possible
But after reading all the reviews i was expecting something better.
On waiting at check out i noticed the door handle on the main doors is upside down , it has the hotels name on so it is obvious, as i said attention to detail is important
To the manager who replies to most posts,
It is too late after the guest has had a less than satisfactory stay , you need to check the rooms periodically to ensure that guests cannot find several faults in a single room, any more than a single fault in a room shows a lack of care and professionalism

Room Tip: Check the room when you arrive If on the front make sure all the windows close and to stop external...
3 Thank smudge196
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Smudge196.

Thank you for your review. You have good points about management in the hotel and I am glad you stick to criticizing myself since we are extremely proud of our staff and their efforts.

I would like to know where you saw a booking option with only our renovated rooms. I see your booking reached us through Expedia where there are only photos of older rooms. The renovations are taking plenty of time and I´ve taken a lot of care to make sure there is always a mix of photos to avoid giving the wrong impression.

According to our reception, you were a lot more relaxed about the shower and curtain than your review suggests. The shower was hot and very hot, depending on how you set it. Not ice cold as you mentioned you needed. That is unusual and according to our agent, this was not something that needed immediate repair. For things that can be fixed immediately, we don´t take days off or let guests wait unless they express that it is not important.

The stain in the curtain is highly unlikely to have been blood since three of our staff had a very tough time finding it and as you mention, only found it when you pointed it directly out. Those curtains are deep cleaned every 3 months and until now, that has been enough. We will definitely need to monitor them in between washes after learning of this.

Unfortunately, the window issue has taken more time as it is more sensitive than our maintenance people can take care of and we would have been happy to move you to another room but understood it was not necessary.

For all other items, I thank you for pointing them out. The one door handle that has our logo upside down is the door that is open 24/7 and no guest ever needs to touch. I can simply tell you the truth. If we wanted to replace it in the same style, we would have to buy a completely new entrance to the hotel because they don´t make these in this style anymore. So hopefully, future guests will find it quirky and not annoying.

I will be looking over all this with my Quality Manager. She has been periodically checking several of the things that can go wrong in our rooms but the windows is a new thing to monitor and we will continuing to improve with the help of our vocal guests.

In your case, is you point out, it is too late. But it´s never too late to learn something from Tripadvisor. So your 2 star review will not have been in vain for me.

Hopefully you will be propelled to stay with us the next time you visit Reykjavík because of faultless reviews from now on. That is our goal :)

Chanhassen, MN
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Spent 4 nights at the Holt in early October 2013. Great location in a quiet residental neighborhood but just a few minutes walk to the main shopping and dining areas of Old Reykjavik. Extemely helpful and friendly staff. Got to know the front desk and restaurant people much better than we would have if the hotel was one of the large chains. Room was small but cozy and very clean. Not cheap, but not too expensive either and well worth it. Don't let the lack of "curb appeal" fool you, the place is quite nice inside.

3 Thank Mike S
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Mike S.

Thank you for the kind words. We definitely try to attract guests who are not looking for a conveyor belt mentality of the chain hotels. Our big old fashion keys help us monitor what our guests are experiencing and sharing their recommendations to future guests.

I am glad you enjoyed it and hope to welcome you again real soon.
Burlington, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We only stayed two nights at this Hotel on our first and last days of our vacation to Iceland and we really enjoyed our stay. Both rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The Icelandic art that decorate the hotel is incredibly interesting - there are all kinds of artistic genres and its like visiting and art gallery within the hotel.

We did not eat at the restaurant or have breakfast at the hotel, so I cannot comment about the food. However, I appreciated the convenience of having a restaurant/bar and breakfast available on site.

The location is on a residential street a couple blocks off the main shopping area of Reykjavik. It is very convenient to many restaurants, bars, shops, tourist attractions and an amazing bakery about a block away. I liked being in a residential area as it was quieter than the main road. It was a great spot to sightsee around Reykjavik! Plus, if you have a rental car, there is parking available too.

My first night, I did have a complaint about my room. I had reserved a double bed and was given a room with two twin beds just pushed together (not even a double bed mattress pad covering the the two beds. ) I called the front desk and some discussion they changed my room to what I had reserved. On my next stay at the end of the week, I was upgraded to a suite with a lovely view of the downtown area. I had also forgotten my adapter plug in my room the first night and they found it and returned it to me on my next stay. Excellent customer service!

Overall, I think Hotel Holt is a great place to stay in Reykjavik and I would definitely stay here again on our next visit to the city.

1 Thank 13Narya
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear 13Narya.

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the stay with us. Being a "Top Contributor" on Tripadvisor makes this high praise indeed.

We certainly need to consider getting a mattress to join the two beds together as you suggest. This did not used to be a problem but it has been made easier for us by advances in design so I will definitely look to make things easier this way for our guests.

I hope to see you again in Reykjavík very soon.

Alberta
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Just spent 4 nights last weekend at Hotel Holt in Reykjavik. What a magnificent weekend. Iceland is Iceland - and by that - I mean AMAZING. So much to see and do. But where you stay can be important too. I was at the Hotel Holt because of the price and the great reviews. This stay was definitely worth every penny. The hotel is in a perfect location. Located about a 3-5 minute walk from the main shopping street, it is situation sort of in the middle of everything. But it is on a side neighbourhood street - and I loved it for this - made me feel more 'local.' The hotel itself is very comfortable. I had a single room in the back and it had everything I needed - extremely clean bathroom, comfortable bed, desk and tv, and of course free high speed internet. I only stay in hotels that offer free internet. The room is not what I would call small - I call them European size - they are perfectly comfortable. Of course I only was in my room and it was a perfect size. I like the feel of the hotel with the dark woods, the leather couches in the foyer and the artwork. But what really makes this hotel stand out are the staff. WOW! I cannot commend them more for being super friendly and yet professional. I really felt like a guest in someone's home. It was the friendliness and willingness to help of the staff that gave me an amazing impression of iceland. To top it off, whilst booking I was able to chat live online with the Manager and he answered all of my queries.

I am now planning on taking a group of colleagues to Iceland in the spring and Hotel Hot is my first choice!

I highly recommend Hotel Holt and all the staff there!

Room Tip: My room was in the back with 2 windows. It was perfect. The front street is quite quiet so I assum...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank CurtisMan
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear CurtisMan.

Thank you for the lovely review of your stay. I am glad we were able to assist you before during and now after your stay. We love staying in touch with our guests outside of the times they stay with us.

I am delighted to see you enjoyed the local feel of staying with us and our team is always looking out for how to make each guest´s stay unique for them. We agree that charging for Wi-Fi should be classified as a breach of human rights :)

I look forward to welcoming you and your group again in the spring.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Hotel Holt was in a lovely, peaceful neighborhood very close to the main shopping road.

The lobby is old world style décor and very classic and dark - appealing to an older crowd.

The staff was very, very nice and incredibly helpful.

Why I gave this hotel an "average" is because I paid A LOT of money for this hotel and my room didn't seem like it had changed since the 1950's. I had a lot of space but the carpet was very old as was the tv and furniture so it never felt clean, which was a bummer.

The hallways needed repainting as well, the carpet replaced. Again, for the price of this place, I would have expected more upkeep.

As well, I was not told that breakfast wasn't included. My fault for not asking, I take that blame but it would have been nice to have been informed of the charge during check in - I was not and paid handsomely for not such a special breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast, cheese, fruit, cereal). Could have had much better and cheaper in town.

I would not stay here again as I changed hotels and found something cleaner, more updated and cheaper not too far away.

Room Tip: Ask for a modern, updated room if you want to feel your room was cleaned. My room had dirty, old ca...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear DavisEM.

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our passionate guest service and their efforts. Of course, I am disappointed to see that you found the room lacking. Not all our rooms have been renovated recently but the oldest rooms were completely renovated in 1993 so some way off your 50´s mark :)

However, the TV´s were updated 2 years ago so I am not sure what you mean with that part and our carpets and all areas are kept extra clean by our maintenance team, especially to compensate for the rooms looking slightly dated. I am sorry you were not able to fully enjoy that part.

In regards to breakfast, I must protest. You will not find a hotel in any city that goes out of it´s way to show you what is NOT included. There has to be some accountability by the guest in those matters. On most channels, you can choose if you would like to book a rate with or without breakfast. That would imply that there is a choice ahead of time as there is for those who decide against booking with breakfast ahead of time. You can certainly find cheaper breakfast as you can find cheaper accommodation but we are proud of the quality we are serving on both fronts and find that most our guests agree with the pricing.

Of course I hope we will have our renovations finished by the time you visit Reykjavík next time but I have a feeling you would be more comfortable at a more modern looking hotel as you point out. Thank you for staying with us regardless and we´ll put your pointers to good use.