“Classy Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Classy Hotel”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Holt in November 2013. Picked it after reading Tripadvisor reviews. Not disappointed at all. The hotel is a short walk to the town and close by to some very nice eating places. The hotel itself is a delightful gallery of some wonderful paintings and sculptures.
We chose a junior suite (418) with nice views over the rooftops of Reykjavik. The decor was nice, even with the painting of the faceless lady eating the banana.
Nice buffet breakfast was included the package. Loved the soused herrings which stayed with me all day.
The staff on the desk were wonderful and most helpful.
If you want a middle range priced hotel with a upper range taste of quality this is the place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mike M
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Mike M.

Thank you so much for your review. "THis is the place to stay". That´s all we´re trying to say to everyone. Thank you for making it that easy for the Tripadvisor community.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Snorri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Finnish first
iowa
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Hotel Holt is very near the downtown area but NOT right on top of it, so away from the hub bub. Nice walk to the downtown, quaint little hotel. Loved the lift. clean. helpful staff. They were able to help us book some tours and the tours picked us up directly in front.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank lorit5
Dear lorit5.

Thank you for the short and sweet review. We will try to stay small and quaint for your next visit. The lift is definitely not going anywhere :)

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Nice hotel overall, just worthy of a 4* rating. The staff are extremely helpful and polite which really does make a difference. The room was ok, a little dated and there was some noise (either from a heating system or neighbouring rooms). It was in a great location, only a few minutes walk from the main street and tourist attractions.

Pros: Staff and location.

Cons: Maybe a refurb especially the shower in the bathroom.

Location: Only a 5 minute walk to the centre including the Reykjavik Excursions office.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andrew M
Dear Andrew M.

Thank you for making us your first review on Tripadvisor. I completely agree about the revamp and it is underway already. We will have all rooms renovated in the next couple of years in a sustainable way. All plumbing will additionally be refurbished this coming January.

We are nothing without our guest service team and I find it delightful to see that is translating to happy guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I recommend this comfortable and cozy hotel with 40 rooms for all reasons: located in downtown, low prices, cleanness, simplicity and sympathy.
Even though the rooms are nor surprisingly large and the internal ambience not sophisticated you feel at home in this hotel. But you have more: the hotel looks an art museum which is certainly a plus for art lovers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Débora S
Dear Debora M.

Thank you very much for your review. If you would like to move in forever, we would be happy to be your actual home :). Until then, you are welcome to stay as long or short as you like.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Our Iceland break was booked quite a while ago and my husband and I had been eagerly awaiting it. The 19th of October was finally here, off on our first break away from the children in 26 years!! We were not disappointed at all.
From our arrival we felt at home and relaxed. The hotel is beautiful and warm and cosy. The art is magnificent, did not get to look at enough and the library has beautiful books. Our room was perfect for us two. Very nice bed, warm quilts-so nice to have one each.
We had been through quite a stressful time before we left the UK and this break lifted our spirits so thank you to all of the staff, we cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mikahaga
Dear mikahaga.

Touching. If we can lift all our guest´s spirits, we will sleep well each night, hopefully like our guests.

You are always welcome through our doors.
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I recently (October 2013) spent six nights at the Holt.
If you are looking for the latest in slick modern hotel fashions with all mod cons and remote superior obsequious staff, the Holt is not for you. First impressions are of a rather old fashioned, four star hotel; scrupulously clean and comfortable, centrally located close to embassies and shops, but whisper quiet rooms, with a surprising amount of original art work on the walls. Staying at the hotel, however, is like being a welcome guest in a contented family. The staff are wonderful. Available 24 hours a day, nothing, but nothing was too much trouble, and they also went the extra mile to solve problems & think constructively in this guest's favour, for instance in avoiding multiple credit card charges, or persuading their computer to produce a boarding pass,
What I liked about my single room was that it was spacious, far from the usual broom cupboard, had a comfortable 3/4 bed, plenty of tea & coffee, a modern shower & toilet - and, bliss! - windows I could open at will. Further, there were no irritating, patronising signs telling me what to do with my plentiful towels - just a small advert in case I wished to meet a local artist. Another single room I saw was smaller, but had a small balcony with a view over the town.

The breakfast was varied and what you would expect of a good hotel. My friend and I only ate once in the restaurant, and that too was good, though I found the servings gargantuan.

Improvements, I would suggest:1. I could have done with an easy chair in my room, but, in the hotel, there were many nooks and crannies with comfortable chairs where one could sit & talk without feeling obliged to buy a drink at the bar. 2.The new shower recess seemed slippery, perhaps a mat, or roughing up of the surface? 3.I was surprised not to have a room safe, but probably the art work is worth more than anything I'd be likely to have in my luggage. 4. I would have appreciated a little space in the room fridge for one's own snacks - foreigners find food in Iceland expensive too.

For me, this Hotel was perfect, and great value for the money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Possiblyrobin
Dear Possiblyrobin.

Thank you for your lovely review of our services and facilities. I love it when our guests feel like they are a part of our family of team members. It means we are doing something right.

For your pointers, thank you. Very constructive and I will look into all of them. All rooms should have safes but you must have landed on one of the two that have broken down in recent weeks. I am looking at a new set for all rooms currently.

I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I would not say i am a demanding individual but when i start finding lists of failures there must be something wrong. First attention to detail is important in all hotels
The standard room we stayed in is not shown in the photographs a refurbished room is, of which i am led to believe only a quarter have been done
Our room had a blood stain on the net curtain at eye level, had a window that didnt lock, a shower that would only be very hot and hot and electrical wires were insecure. I am an engineer so knew it wasnt dangerous, but still not in a hotel. It should have been spotted when cleaning.We arrived on a friday evening,the shower, window and curtain were reported straight away the wires on leaving. The curtain was changed on sunday when we pointed it out to the receptionist as the cleaner could not see the mark, the shower fixed on monday but the window not repaired during our visit.
Due to the window the room was quite noisy as icelandic tyres on the road make a lot of noise
The room was clean and comfortable had tea and coffee facilities, bathrobes and complimentary toiletries
We ate breakfast at the hotel, very nice and lot of choice, we did eat early at 7am so the food had just been put out, as it is a self serve buffet
We ate at the gallery restaurant and that was fantastic
The staff were friendly and informative, i felt they would help you in any way possible
But after reading all the reviews i was expecting something better.
On waiting at check out i noticed the door handle on the main doors is upside down , it has the hotels name on so it is obvious, as i said attention to detail is important
To the manager who replies to most posts,
It is too late after the guest has had a less than satisfactory stay , you need to check the rooms periodically to ensure that guests cannot find several faults in a single room, any more than a single fault in a room shows a lack of care and professionalism

Room Tip: Check the room when you arrive If on the front make sure all the windows close and to stop external...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank smudge196
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Smudge196.

Thank you for your review. You have good points about management in the hotel and I am glad you stick to criticizing myself since we are extremely proud of our staff and their efforts.

I would like to know where you saw a booking option with only our renovated rooms. I see your booking reached us through Expedia where there are only photos of older rooms. The renovations are taking plenty of time and I´ve taken a lot of care to make sure there is always a mix of photos to avoid giving the wrong impression.

According to our reception, you were a lot more relaxed about the shower and curtain than your review suggests. The shower was hot and very hot, depending on how you set it. Not ice cold as you mentioned you needed. That is unusual and according to our agent, this was not something that needed immediate repair. For things that can be fixed immediately, we don´t take days off or let guests wait unless they express that it is not important.

The stain in the curtain is highly unlikely to have been blood since three of our staff had a very tough time finding it and as you mention, only found it when you pointed it directly out. Those curtains are deep cleaned every 3 months and until now, that has been enough. We will definitely need to monitor them in between washes after learning of this.

Unfortunately, the window issue has taken more time as it is more sensitive than our maintenance people can take care of and we would have been happy to move you to another room but understood it was not necessary.

For all other items, I thank you for pointing them out. The one door handle that has our logo upside down is the door that is open 24/7 and no guest ever needs to touch. I can simply tell you the truth. If we wanted to replace it in the same style, we would have to buy a completely new entrance to the hotel because they don´t make these in this style anymore. So hopefully, future guests will find it quirky and not annoying.

I will be looking over all this with my Quality Manager. She has been periodically checking several of the things that can go wrong in our rooms but the windows is a new thing to monitor and we will continuing to improve with the help of our vocal guests.

In your case, is you point out, it is too late. But it´s never too late to learn something from Tripadvisor. So your 2 star review will not have been in vain for me.

Hopefully you will be propelled to stay with us the next time you visit Reykjavík because of faultless reviews from now on. That is our goal :)