“Overall very pleasant”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 10 November 2013

After reading the reviews of many hotels in Reykjavik I noticed a commonality that you don't want to stay near the main street, especially on weekends, as the noise level can be very high until late in the night. Hotel Holt is about a 5-10 minute walk from most anything in the downtown area of Reykjavik that a tourist would be interested in and it was very quiet on my Saturday night stay. Although the lobby is kind of dark the room had very good light. Very easy to read at night. The only reason I did not give a 5 star review is because the breakfast buffet, included at many hotels, is about $20 here. I know food is expensive here, but that is just a little pricy. I did not look at the buffet and maybe there were fine and expensive items on it, but still more than the food budget should include.

Overall I would consider staying here if I return

Room Tip: Hotels in Europe tend to be small. The up charge to the next tier is not so much and you will be mor...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mark S
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Mark S.

Thank you for the kind words about the hotel. We certainly value our location off the most noisy part of downtown but still close enough to walk almost everywhere.

In regards to breakfast, it is certainly pricy but ours is still the most affordable of all high end hotels in the center. You will be pleased to know that from 1st January, the standard room rate will include breakfast although those who will be on a strict budget will be able to negotiate a rate without it.

I hope to see you soon again at Hotel Holt.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Holt

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Holt in November 2013. Picked it after reading Tripadvisor reviews. Not disappointed at all. The hotel is a short walk to the town and close by to some very nice eating places. The hotel itself is a delightful gallery of some wonderful paintings and sculptures.
We chose a junior suite (418) with nice views over the rooftops of Reykjavik. The decor was nice, even with the painting of the faceless lady eating the banana.
Nice buffet breakfast was included the package. Loved the soused herrings which stayed with me all day.
The staff on the desk were wonderful and most helpful.
If you want a middle range priced hotel with a upper range taste of quality this is the place to stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike M
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Mike M.

Thank you so much for your review. "THis is the place to stay". That´s all we´re trying to say to everyone. Thank you for making it that easy for the Tripadvisor community.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Hotel Holt is very near the downtown area but NOT right on top of it, so away from the hub bub. Nice walk to the downtown, quaint little hotel. Loved the lift. clean. helpful staff. They were able to help us book some tours and the tours picked us up directly in front.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank lorit5
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear lorit5.

Thank you for the short and sweet review. We will try to stay small and quaint for your next visit. The lift is definitely not going anywhere :)

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Nice hotel overall, just worthy of a 4* rating. The staff are extremely helpful and polite which really does make a difference. The room was ok, a little dated and there was some noise (either from a heating system or neighbouring rooms). It was in a great location, only a few minutes walk from the main street and tourist attractions.

Pros: Staff and location.

Cons: Maybe a refurb especially the shower in the bathroom.

Location: Only a 5 minute walk to the centre including the Reykjavik Excursions office.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andrew M

Dear Andrew M.

Thank you for making us your first review on Tripadvisor. I completely agree about the revamp and it is underway already. We will have all rooms renovated in the next couple of years in a sustainable way. All plumbing will additionally be refurbished this coming January.

We are nothing without our guest service team and I find it delightful to see that is translating to happy guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I recommend this comfortable and cozy hotel with 40 rooms for all reasons: located in downtown, low prices, cleanness, simplicity and sympathy.
Even though the rooms are nor surprisingly large and the internal ambience not sophisticated you feel at home in this hotel. But you have more: the hotel looks an art museum which is certainly a plus for art lovers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Débora S

Dear Debora M.

Thank you very much for your review. If you would like to move in forever, we would be happy to be your actual home :). Until then, you are welcome to stay as long or short as you like.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Our Iceland break was booked quite a while ago and my husband and I had been eagerly awaiting it. The 19th of October was finally here, off on our first break away from the children in 26 years!! We were not disappointed at all.
From our arrival we felt at home and relaxed. The hotel is beautiful and warm and cosy. The art is magnificent, did not get to look at enough and the library has beautiful books. Our room was perfect for us two. Very nice bed, warm quilts-so nice to have one each.
We had been through quite a stressful time before we left the UK and this break lifted our spirits so thank you to all of the staff, we cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mikahaga

Dear mikahaga.

Touching. If we can lift all our guest´s spirits, we will sleep well each night, hopefully like our guests.

You are always welcome through our doors.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I recently (October 2013) spent six nights at the Holt.
If you are looking for the latest in slick modern hotel fashions with all mod cons and remote superior obsequious staff, the Holt is not for you. First impressions are of a rather old fashioned, four star hotel; scrupulously clean and comfortable, centrally located close to embassies and shops, but whisper quiet rooms, with a surprising amount of original art work on the walls. Staying at the hotel, however, is like being a welcome guest in a contented family. The staff are wonderful. Available 24 hours a day, nothing, but nothing was too much trouble, and they also went the extra mile to solve problems & think constructively in this guest's favour, for instance in avoiding multiple credit card charges, or persuading their computer to produce a boarding pass,
What I liked about my single room was that it was spacious, far from the usual broom cupboard, had a comfortable 3/4 bed, plenty of tea & coffee, a modern shower & toilet - and, bliss! - windows I could open at will. Further, there were no irritating, patronising signs telling me what to do with my plentiful towels - just a small advert in case I wished to meet a local artist. Another single room I saw was smaller, but had a small balcony with a view over the town.

The breakfast was varied and what you would expect of a good hotel. My friend and I only ate once in the restaurant, and that too was good, though I found the servings gargantuan.

Improvements, I would suggest:1. I could have done with an easy chair in my room, but, in the hotel, there were many nooks and crannies with comfortable chairs where one could sit & talk without feeling obliged to buy a drink at the bar. 2.The new shower recess seemed slippery, perhaps a mat, or roughing up of the surface? 3.I was surprised not to have a room safe, but probably the art work is worth more than anything I'd be likely to have in my luggage. 4. I would have appreciated a little space in the room fridge for one's own snacks - foreigners find food in Iceland expensive too.

For me, this Hotel was perfect, and great value for the money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Possiblyrobin

Dear Possiblyrobin.

Thank you for your lovely review of our services and facilities. I love it when our guests feel like they are a part of our family of team members. It means we are doing something right.

For your pointers, thank you. Very constructive and I will look into all of them. All rooms should have safes but you must have landed on one of the two that have broken down in recent weeks. I am looking at a new set for all rooms currently.

I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.