“Simply perfect”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We booked the hotel Holt as our base for a recent long weekend in Iceland to celebrate my wife's 40th Birthday, and I have to say we made an excellent choice.

The hotel were very easy to contact before our stay via their website and chat function which I found to be very useful and the staff helpful.

The hotel itself, from the outside is nothing special situated in a residential area of Reykjavik yet still only a couple of minutes from the main downtown area. The hotel had kindly upgraded our room, to a suite which was very nice of them, and we had our pre ordered bottle of sparkly awaiting us on ice in our room. The room itself was spotless (as is all the hotel), and the bed very comfortable. We found the room was hot at night, but you can open the windows to let some air in and the radiators can be adjusted.

We chose the Bed & Breakfast room option and we were glad we did as the breakfast was very good, continental, cereals plus scrambled eggs & bacon. Good coffee, juice and real tea pots! Even when you go for breakfast late (served until 10am) there is still plenty of food and the staff will bring bring more if you wanted. We also ate in the Gallery Restaurant, which was excellent if not on the expensive side (but what isn't in Iceland!). The steak was to die for and the quality and presentation are top class. The hotel bar has a good happy hour 4-7, and is a great place to relax. Very cosy with a lovely atmosphere. There is a good room service menu and breakfast can also be ordered on room service for a charge. You get tea and coffee in the room as well as a decent choice in the mini bar.

Overall, we found our stay at the hotel Holt to be most enjoyable. The location, hotel amenities, hotel staff were all perfect and all added up to a great time in Iceland. Thank you Hotel Holt!

TIP: The hotel will give you a free ticket to the viewing area at the top of the big church just up the road from the hotel. Just ask at reception. Great for photo's of the city.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The Hotel Holt was a welcome respite after exploring the wilds of eastern Iceland. Firstly, the lobby is a warm and inviting place. The small elevator is charming but don't plan on taking more than two people and their bags up at a time! The decor has been spoken of widely on Trtipadvisor, but let me just echo most of the positive sentiments. You could spend DAYS checking out the art here! Very interesting stuff! Our room was on the second floor and was on the back of the hotel and was very quiet. The room was immaculate and the shower was the best I've ever had. PERIOD. BEST EVER. Breakfast was typical Icelandic fare and was well presented. Drinks in the bar were pricey but the atmosphere made it more palatable. Location is great. Short walk to the main shopping area and excellent restaurants. Stay here. You will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Try for the back side away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I booked this for the last night of my photo trip to Iceland. We stayed mostly in basic accommodations in more rural areas so this was a "big city" end-of-trip treat.

I loved it! The lobby is filled with big leather chairs and sofas, wood panelling, oriental carpets and dark, broody art. Friendly reception staff booked my Flybus ticket and also found my hat that I lost in the lounge.

My room was quite small but it was just me so it was fine. It was very well appointed and comfy. I took a HOT bath in the huge tub, used all of the yummy spa products and cuddled up in the robe and slippers.

My room was on an upper floor and opened out onto a long balcony that ran the full length of the hotel. It was a neat little feature.

I should also mention that the elevator is the old fashioned sort where you have to open a door. My 1st trip up in it, I just stood there when it arrived at my floor...and then the elevator headed back down... Ooops! Don't forget to open the door. It's such an instinct now to wait for the door to open automatically.

Breakfast was included and good but not amazing.

Wifi is available.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed in Hotel Holt for 4 nights/5days as part of package to see the Northern Lights. Hotel is centrally located but a short walk from shops, restaurants, gift shops etc. We had a small sitting room with toilet and shower unit, and a bedroom with a bathroom - adequate for our needs. There was central heating, tea and coffee making facilities, and the cold water is drinkable in fact it was better than most bottled water! Shower unit had all the toiletries, replenished daily.

Décor is a bit dark with walls of main public areas full of wood panelling and art which I believed belonged to the owner - why not eh? Breakfast was served daily- continental or nearly full English with hot or cold dishes on offer.

Staff all round were very friendly and will contact tour company to ensure your reservations to excursions are confirmed.

We love the whole package and we managed to see the Northern Lights! The package also included a trip to the Blue Lagoon and an excursion to the Golden Circle. All of us loved this experience. Try making reservations with Fleetway!

We highly recommend this hotel for people who want to do a short trip to Iceland... nothing grand but a very VFM hotel!

Room Tip: choose a high floor
1  Thank Joe8168
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Nice clean hotel right in the centre, easy walking distance to restaurants and shops. Hotel staff really helpful, good advice on tours etc. Breakfast buffet offers a good range. Some of the decor is a bit like walking back into the 70's, and rooms are a bit small - but does offer all the facilities needed. Opted for this hotel over Borg, and whilst is not as modern, it makes up for it in service and charm.

1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hotel is very well located in the old town. The room was very comfortable and a reasonable size. The bathroom is small but is modern and has everything that is needed. The staff are very helpful, friendly and very willing to please.The breakfast buffet had a good selection of hot and cold dishes. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

the outside is somewhat " off-putting ". However the inside was very comfortable and was what I imagine a gentleman's club in london may be like. Art everywhere but not always very appealing. The staff were really friendly and helpful despite our first impressions (being kept waiting to check in for over 15 minutes as the receptionist was on the phone) . The rooms were comfortable tho somewhat spartan and were really noisy. I was woken up one night by a mobile phone ringing in the room next door and then heard every word that was said. Another night I was kept awake by people talking loudly after midnight in the lobby below. On the positive side there were tea and coffee making facilities, towelling robes and good accessories in the bathroom. I think we probably paid a lot to be in this hotel as part of our holiday and felt it was definitely not worth it

Room Tip: probably I would ask to be away from a staircase where the added noise from people going up and down...
1  Thank Sue F