“Excellent hotel, lovely place”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Very helpful staff. Stunning hotel decor internally with good bar and excellent restaurant (though pricey). Few trivial issues.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
2  Thank bencb

Reviewed 10 January 2011

We stayed here in January 2011 after seeing a good review in The Guardian. It's a great hotel, with nice clean rooms, friendly staff and it's close to the bus station for tours and the central street in Rejykavik. The breakfast was good and the dinners - if expensive - were lovely. I'd definitely stay again. Plus the young lad behind the desk was very handsome :-)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Robot3021
Reviewed 7 December 2010

We stayed for two nights in November and to be honest it was perfect. We were given an up grade to a suite as we were celebrating my hubby's birthday and after that, every staff member we met would always wish G "happy birthday" "I hear it is your birthday" etc!.....The staff were all so charming and friendly. Especially at the check in desk and the gentleman behind the bar. 'Happy Hour' much appreciated after spending the day on the Super Jeep Golden Circle Tour.
Our room was great, lots of space and a wonderful bed. We did not have any problem with noise and we had the breakfast room all to ourselves.
When I was organising this special trip, I really did not know where to start but with help from fellow Trip Advisor's but more so from the Hotel Holt I created a fantastic itinerary. The staff always answered my emails (general questions/queries) quickly and they were a superb help to me!
What a wonderful city, and you should aim to experience this stay at the best hotel, and that in my eyes is the Hotel Holt. We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paws2paws
Reviewed 23 November 2010

As soon as you come in from the icy street, warmth and colour welcome you. The distinctive feature of this lovely hotel is Art and indeed, either in the lounge, library, bar, breakfast-room or corridors, paintings, sculptures and art works are everywhere, giving the place a rich and refined atmosphere. I had a wonderful time in Iceland and my stay at Hotel Holt certainly contributed to the full success of it. The staff is incredibly helpful even in the smallest of matter, and my room if it was a single was very large and comfortable. The breakfast-buffet is a good, classic one with the healthy option of cod liver oil if one so feels inclined ! I would only mention two little hic. 1- the shower took for ever to get warm but then got quickly boiling, so had a timing of about 3 minutes in between. Not great. But not so bad that I bothered to query if it was only my room or everywhere the same. 2- Even though the hotel was very quiet, I had someone staying all nights above, and one night got pretty noisy. I realised that if all the rooms were occupied, it would make the place rather too lively...Not great sound-proofing. But again it was not really a problem and overwhole, I would definitely warmly recommend this hotel, perfectly located in a quiet street, 5mn walk from the main shopping street and from the lake. It is very comfortable and welcoming as you wish an hotel to be away from home.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Josephien
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Holt twice during July. I found the staff extremely helpful and kind: nothing was a problem. At my second stay the hotel manager upgraded me to the jnunior suite - which was a lovely treat. The food is fantastic, if a little salty for my taste. (A quiet word to my waitress and the rest of the meal was fine!) The service in the dining room is quiet and unobtrusive - it's a real treat to have silver service at table. Lounging the reading room is so restful you can't help but have a little nap! The artwork is unusual and very interesting. They have coffee set up for people leaving early - a good way to start the day. All in all a good hotel with fantastic staff and good price. I definitely will stay again! Thank you to Snorri and his wonderful team!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank tdk451
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We stayed in April for my 40th birthday. We arrived late on Friday having travelled from Akureyri airport as the ash cloud had closed Reykjavik. When we arrived, the staff were very welcoming and helpful - unfortunately we would have to have breakfast in our room, which suited us fine and they brought us a feast ! We were doing the Gulfoss trip the next day so it kept us going in the cold until lunch.

We had a problem with our return flights being cancelled due to the ash and the receptionist couldn't do enough for us - she contacted Icelandair and had us transferred to an alternative flight - we'd booked a trip to the Blue Lagoon and when we returned all we had to do was call the airline to confirm arrangements.

The hotel is really lovely, close to town without being noisy and the staff can't do enough for you. Will definitely stay there again

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travel_girl_2770
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Lovely hotel, near the centre with an incredible art-collection and the best kitchen of the island! Although the room are not very big, they are very comfortable. The staff was great and attending to every need we expressed.
The dinner in the hotel restaurant was incredible, worth a Michelin star!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends