“Tasty food, but portion sizes are too big”

Sjavargrillid Seafood Grill
Ranked #44 of 573 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$17 - US$50
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Scandinavian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In 2010 a young chef from Húsavík, was awarded Chef of the year 2010 in Iceland.The young chef, Gústav spent months traveling around Iceland looking for the real taste of Iceland, along the way he found a few things that are key items of the interior of the restaurant.Take a look at our menu, it will be our pleasure to fire up the old grill when you honor us with a visit.
Reviewed 18 October 2012

This is a great restaurant, and fully deserves its ratings on this website. The food is inventive and challenging, and my one criticism is that the portion sizes are too generous on the set menus.

I had the Taste of Iceland menu, which started with a mouthwatering combination of lobster and golden perch. The second course of puffin, minke whale and shag was an adventure, with the puffin and shag being tasty and gamey in texture. However, the cured minke whale was a textural torture and I couldn't stomach the meat.

The main course of lamb was terrific, with combinations of textures and flavours spot on. Finally, the dessert was a perfect finish to the meal, and was large enough to share!

1  Thank Toptoga
Write a ReviewReviews (3,025)

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We were there and had almost the most expensive food from the list. My friend had a degusto menu. I mean it was good but the waiters? One moment:
Waitress came with the wine to my friend just showed the wine, made the glass full and went away. She didnt say ANYTHING. He was not able to try the wine before accepting it.
I mean the menu was kind of high prized. And it was the most expensive what they had and someone told me its the most expensive restaurant in Reyk. So I would expect something more that this.
Sorry, but for the price and the service we got, would not come back.

Date of visit: September 2012
1  Thank michaelmyshu
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The Seafood Grill is located about 200 meters from the Hallgrímskirkja church that is on the top of the Skolavordustig, so it is very easily found. The interior is very comfortable and inviting. The food all in all was very good and the service was excellent.

Date of visit: November 2011
1  Thank jonpall
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Put simply, this is a first rate restaurant and must definitely be on your Reykjavik to-do list.

But if you do go - make a reservation. I debated making one, and did - and I am very glad I did. We arrived at a packed restaurant, with plenty of people waiting for tables who had not booked. So, definitely pick up the phone.

However, before going here I was wary at first as I am not a fish eater - my friend loves fish and so I conceded. We checked the menu online before making a reservation and there were a couple of options for non-fish eaters like myself. Still, I was wary.

However, after the first course - a sort of more classy Icelandic twist on a green/caesar salad - I knew it was the right decision to come. My main course was lamb, and it is the best I have ever tasted. Just... wow.

My friend opted for the lobster feast - a set three course menu - and basically was groaning with delight throughout the whole meal. His main course was a plate filled with a variety of fish - double, even triple the portion size you could expect in London.

As for the desserts - just wonderful. I had the honey cake and wholly recommend it.

The staff are great - very efficient, friendly, and the atmosphere is busy but cosy.

My three course meal cost me £47.00/$75.00/€58.00 - but the set 'feast' three course menus (there are a few) work out cheaper. Wine is reasonably priced and is served by the glass or bottle. As with all Icelandic restaurants, water is free.

Definitely a place to go. Do it! You won't regret it!

1  Thank MendozaUK
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We gave this place a wide berth to begin with as it seemed a little pricey. However, we went to another restaurant the night before on the basis that it was cheaper...what a mistake the other restaurant we went to was a tourist trap...about 3mins after ordering our food was on the table - ick! Needless to say it was not nice and actually not much cheaper than Sjavargrillid (Seafood Grill). The following night we went to Sjavargrillid (Seafood Grill) and the food was delicious - it felt like a top class restaurant as opposed to somewhere 'only fit for tourists.' It was a bit expensive but if you get what you pay for!