“Great location and good value”
Review of AR Guesthouse

AR Guesthouse
Ranked #88 of 107 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Great location for hostel, close to central attractions, though apparently a little difficult for some of the tour and airport busses to find! The room was a good size, clean and warm, but a little noisey on the ground floor. As others have said, bathroom is not the best but is okay for a few days. Staff are friendly and speak good English.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank northmcqueen

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I was very surprised to read some of the other reviews of this hostel so thought I would add my thoughts as we stayed here as a couple for 5 nights in February for my birthday. Firstly the location couldn't be better, in a quiet area 10 minutes walk from the town centre and a 5 minute walk from the docks where the whale watching trips depart from. As two 40somethings it has been a long time since we've stayed some where and had to share a bathroom but due to how expensive hotels, eating out and trips are we decided to save our money and paid £128 for 5 nights, which to us was an absolute bargain. The rooms, kitchen and bathroom, we found to be clean and of an overall good standard, we cooked breakfast most mornings in the kitchen and left our food in the fridge which we had bought from a supermarket two minutes up the road with no problems at all. Our room was next to reception and was a good size, I think we were woke up once during our stay by other guests coming in but to us this wasn't a problem. I was expecting a lot worse from a hostel so I was pleasantly surprised by our overall experience. During our stay we saw the northern lights, geysers and dolphins on a boat trip and I would have much rather stayed here and paid less than other hotels so that we could have such an amazing stay in Iceland. If I was to ever visit Iceland again I would definitely stay here :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank follybooth
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our stay here was positive. We found that everything was clean and sufficient for our needs. The place was very reasonably priced which was important to us since we wanted to have money for seeing the sites and shopping. One suggestion to make this little place easier to find is to have obvious signs on all sides of the building.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

If it weren't for the awful sleep quality that this guesthouse promotes then I would be rating this a lot higher. The place itself is a nice place to stay and whilst the rooms are basic, housing a sink, chest of drawers, bedside table and a reasonably comfortable bed, the heating working is also a bonus.

However, you have to pull every door shut to close it properly in every guestroom and the noise rattles and vibrates to every other single room. Every time the tap is used in a room above or in the shared shower room, the sound of the pipes working echoes around the building. In the 4 nights I stayed here, I was woken up countless times in the night by every movement.

It does the job but if you want to actually sleep well, look elsewhere first.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We read a lot of bad reviews about this place and were feeling dubious about staying here but we're so glad we did. Our room was tidy and clean, as was the bathroom and kitchen for the duration of our stay. We were provided with our own fridge, sink, small dining table and a tv with dvd player. However only about 3 DVDs so bring your own if you're likely to watch any! (or buy for cheap at the local flea market) The receptionist is only there from 9-1 everyday but can be contacted by phone. And the location is great.. on a quiet street but only 5min walk from centre and about 1min walk to a small supermarket that seemed to have everything. We would stay again.

Room Tip: We had a room in the first house, the reviews on the second house seem bad so maybe try and get one...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We arrived late in the night. The way to the reception is through a dark alley past trash bins, would have never found it if the bus driver didn't tell us where it was. Keys had been left on the reception with printed instructions on how to go to our room in the next building. Room had cracked ceiling and door had dents, shared bathrooms were crowded with things, dirty and a bit mouldy. Seemed like I was using the bathroom in another person's house. It was relatively cheap and staff were helpful though not there much. Basic room, towels provided. Could use kitchen and there were books and guides for reading. Located near to the old harbour.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yuninthesky
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Hostel owners have charged us twice - both in cash and by charging our credit card for 3 nights. Further on, they did not answer my e-mails sent to the official e-mail info@accommodation-reykjavik.is nor did they pick up their phones, stated on the official web-site of the hostel. (Well, they have picked up once and promised to book the payment back, which has never happened until after I contacted the website Booking.com through which I have booked this hostel. The customer service of this website turned out to be very useful, since after the customer service has contacted hostel owners, the hostel owners quickly picked up the contact with me and have refunded the amount they owed me on my credit card) Anyway, I would recommend to avoid staying in this hostel!

There are other reasons to avoid the hostel as well (not only payment issues). Baths and kitchen are never cleaned, towels you get are wet (we did not complain on this part, but we noticed several other guests who also received wet towels). One prominent example during our stay was that a kitchen towel was so dirty that we threw it on the floor - it has not probably been washed for weeks or months.. The blond girl, who is also working at the reception (and who we actually gave our cash to and she assured us that the payment is done), just picked up the dirty towel from the floor and laid it back on the table in front of our eyes!

The last but not the least, we have booked a double room, but we have got a single room - at least it is advertised as a single room on their website. I have recognised the photos of the room we were staying at and we thought it was a double room. In fact, I do not mind staying in a small room as a young couple and I have lived in even worse conditions, but this again confirms the overall fraudulent behavior of its owners.

I have not experienced such a behavior so far. Even less I have expected to encounter such problems in Iceland - a very developed country from my point of view. The way this hostel is run is really a shame for such a beautiful country.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple