“Northern Lights & Golden Circle with Snowmobiles”
Review of Discover Iceland

Discover Iceland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: DISCOVER is a dynamic adventure travel operator in Iceland offering wide range of day and multi day tours and adventures to suit your desires with luxury. We are here to help you discover all the amazing things you can experience in the Icelandic nature. Our experienced driver guides will take you on a true adventure journeys around the most spectacular Icelandic hotspots in our modified luxury 4x4 Off Road Trucks. We provide you with personal service and make sure you have a memorable trip with us. Discover Ltd is registered tour operator by the Icelandic Tourist Board and cares about your safety on our trips.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I went to Reykjavik in the first weekend of April. We did a Northern Lights tour on our first evening with Sven, who was great fun and tried his absolute best to find the lights for us! He made the trip a pleasure even though we didn't have a lot of luck seeing them - even if the camera did! We spent a Saturday on the Golden Circle, with a truly one-off trip across the glacier to the snowmobile center. Georg was a great guide and really helped us get the most out of the trip, and it was great to spend some time in the company of true Icelanders getting their insight into their amazing and beautiful country. We hope to return to Iceland and spend more time there, and would not hesitate to use Discover Iceland again.

3  Thank Peter W
Georg T, Owner at Discover Iceland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for the review Peter and the kind words. It was great to have you over for a visit and to have the opportunity to take you around the amazing nature of Iceland. Yes this thing with the Northern Lights. Some times the photos are always better than when you see them with your eyes, this is the nature and we all have to be lucky to see it at its brightest. We are glad to know that you did enjoy your time with us and hope we get to take you out again when you visit Iceland once again, perhaps in the summer this time :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our group of 10 (6 adults and 4 children) took Discover Iceland's 2- day Landmannalaguar Winter tour on April 16th and absolutely loved it!!! Georg promised us it would be a "top 5 lifetime memory" in his very first email response to us, and it certainly was! Our tour included so many highlights...riding in the FUN and JOY Superjeeps through the snow-covered inlands (no roads in sight...felt like we were on another planet!), towing each other out several times, chatting with our amazing tour guides Orri and Sven, crossing a river to get to the hut, relaxing in the geothermal hot pot outside the hut...while it was snowing!, enjoying the amazing BBQ lamb dinner that Orri and Sven prepared for us while we lounged in the hot pot, and capping that all off with a viewing of the northern lights and a night in the hut before more Superjeeping the next day!!! We are so glad that we chose Georg and his team for our adventure, and we'd recommend them without hesitation to anyone wanting to experience this beautiful country. Thank you again for a top 5 lifetime experience!!!

4  Thank njlovestravel

Thank you so much for writing your story here at Trip Advisor. It does for sure make us proud that we managed to deliver according to objectives and create your top 5 memory of a life time :). Landmannalaugar winter tour is a great tour which offers so much of genuine Icelandic SuperJeep offroading experience, amazing mountain sights, natural geothermal hot pool in the middle of the darkness with perhaps the Northern Lights above us :)...And the BBQ lamb steak which is the most important part of the experience. We will be offering this tour with snowmobiling next winter so you still have a reason to come back he he. Thank you for your visit and we hope to get you over again to maintain top 5 memories of a life time :) All our best to the families.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

After reading the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor, I booked a Golden Circle tour with Georg, guided by Flosi. I wasn't disappointed. Georg's website was down when I booked, so I didn't receive confirmation right away. But I called his US number (very convenient), and he was helpful by phone. Everything went through as promised on the website. As I was traveling solo, Georg connected me with a small Super Jeep tour with Flosi and four other people who also went snowmobiling in the highlands (I did not). Flosi arrived promptly and was a very genial and knowledgeable guide. I enjoyed the day seeing Iceland's marvels and learning about it's geography, history, people and humor from Flosi. It's a long day, but there were plenty of stops with food and washrooms. I was also appreciative of Flosi's skill with his modified Nissan on large snow tires, as we encountered some deep snow in the highlands and weather on the way home. I never felt unsafe. Commendations all around, and I would recommend Discover Iceland to anyone else looking for an overview of Iceland's remarkable landscape and sights! Thank you both.

4  Thank GoHawksRyan
Georg T, Owner at Discover Iceland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, we always love to see the stories we create :). Glad to know you had a good fun out with Flosi. Yes I think it is very important to get deep knowledge around washrooms, they can some times complicate things :) The Nissans with large tires do the job when we go up to the rough highlands. Having the soft tires make the ride more comfortable and give us abilities to drive through deep snow conditions. And we love it :)...Hope to see you in Iceland later on.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Golden Circle (and a bit of South Coast) tour that was organised specifically for us (in a private tour) was good fun. The tour guide did a great job. He was prompt, patient and showed a great deal of knowledge and passion for Iceland – helping us to better understand the country and many of its highlights. The 4x4 jeep we had was comfortable and good fun to experience the off-roading segment of our tour.

I would definitely have no problems recommending this tour and the tour guide who looked after us on the day!

2  Thank ricksta68
Georg T, Owner at Discover Iceland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this management response. You were a great group to spend the day with. Very important part of each tour is to tour out with great people, look at sights and do a bit of offroading in between. I think we would have liked to do more offorading with you guys but because of the ice walking extra activity we were lacking a bit of time. It is great to know that you were happy with your day out with us and hope to see you back in Iceland later on, the flight from UK is so short so it is a good weekend escape destination :) All the best...Georg

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I did the Golden Circle tour with Orri as my guide. The boss Georg did a good job of communicating via email to help get me in with a group as I would be going on my own and needed to join a small group. Orri was professional, kind, and knowledgeable. I was a solo traveler, and was a bit nervous of who I would have to ride around with all day, but ended up being paired with a very nice family from Norway who were also vacationing. There's plenty of room in the vehicles, so it was quite comfortable and never felt cramped.

We had planned to go up to the glacier for some snowmobiling, but after several vehicles ahead of us were stuck, our guide made a safe decision to cancel that part of the trip. We ended up taking the time we saved to see some extra spots off the beaten path that were quite beautiful. Orri knew the roads and landmarks very well and was happy to explain the history and geological facts about many of the things we came across. If you haven't seen Iceland before, you are in for a treat. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth and this tour is a nice way of hitting many of the highlights. Along the way, Orri made sure we were comfortable with stops for food and to stretch our legs.

I'd highly recommend Discover Iceland for their ability to get you places you can't go on your own, for the professional behavior and kindness of their staff, and because of the unbelievable beauty of Iceland!

On a side note (not related to my scheduled tour): The next day I did some trekking of my own and drove about 7 hours from my home base in Reykjavik. On the way back, I had the terrible experience of realizing late at night that the gas stations in the remote parts are un-manned and will not accept American credit cards without chip + pin verification. I was going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with no fuel, but I happened to run into a staff member of Discover Iceland who helped me get things sorted out, get fueled up, and make it back to Reykjavik in time for my flight! He wasn't even on the clock, but still they went out of their way to help and make solutions... these are some really great people!

4  Thank Thomas W

Hey Tomas,
Thank you for this great review. Glad to know that you enjoyed your day out with Orri. Our tours are always small groups tours, we use SuperJeeps which can take up to 6 people on our tours, usually we have 4-5 people on each tour. It is a great opportunity to to get to know other travellers while on our tours, often people become friends and meet up in the evening for dinner, it happens :). Some times the conditions can be extreme at the glacier where we are not able to get to the glacier, in those cases we change the tours and show you more sights to make sure you get the most out of your day with us. I guess you meet up with one of our guides Sven at the petrol station, good to know he was able to help you out, thank you for mentioning this :), we try to help out in any way we can. Hope to see you back in Iceland later on Tomas and thanks again.