“I would live here!”

Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family was lucky enought to be recommended this bakery from our bed and breakfast hostess. We always pay attention when a local recommends something as they know the best! We waited in line a little (if there is a line, that is also a good sign your wait will be worth it) and then dove in to our selections. We ordered sandwiches to go - fabulous things on crusty french bread with a variety of fillings - chicken with crunchy veggies of all colors with fabulous dressings. While the sandwiches were being made and wrapped for us, our eyes surveyed the wonderful selection of sweet delights temptingly displayed in the case in front of us. We could not leave without some fruity croissant-type rolls also being packed up for us. All these bakery wonders made for a superb picnic, we could hardly wait to tuck into them. Not only were they scrumptuous, they were also a feast for the eyes, very colorful. Unfortunately we did not discover this place until right before we left for the airport. We only wish we had a bakery of this caliber locally because we would have a standing order which would be good for business, good for our tastebuds, but maybe not so good for our waistlines! If you are shopping in Reykjavik, stop here, you will not be disappointed. There is seating in the back if you cannot wait to start your enjoyment.

There are newer reviews for Sandholt

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Went there 5 out of 6 mornings during my visit in Reykjavik. The pastries are as good and refined as they would be in Paris, the croissants and the pain au chocolate have a crispy buttery crust and light inside. Everything looks and tastes great. It is one of the rare time that when I order a hot coco that I can actually taste the rich taste of real chocolate, the scoop of home made whipped cream on top does not hurt either. Their sandwiches are also good and on the healthy side. Price wise an excellent value, most high quality food establishments charge a fortune in town but the bakari Sandholt is cheap by the Reykjavik standard. The place is comfortable a modern Nordic feel and makes you want to linger a bit. Although I gave this restaurant a rating of excellent there was a big negative; the service! The first day I sat down at a table and waited a good 10-15 min for a server, got up to get a menu and was told that you have to order at the counter, OK fine no big deal I can handle that, maybe a sign would be helpful! Another day I ordered at the counter and sat down and to my surprise a server came to my table so of course I asked....the answer was if they short staff you got to managed on you own if the staff shows up you're good to go. The other negative is the clearing of the table, basically the table will be cleared after you sit down and not really cleaned. When the staff shows up they're sweet, pleasant and helpful so i guess its part of this place charm and character and I can't help coming back ie: excellent.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We arrived in Reykjavik at 6:30 AM after a long flight from Denver and wanted to have a good breakfast before we got started on our drive up to the Snæfellsnes peninsula. It took maybe 45 minutes to get there from the airport and was easy to find with directions we had printed out beforehand. Food was very good. While we had coffee, excellent pastries and yogurt parfait they had a wide variety on the menu and we didn't find the prices to be expensive. The place is obviously very popular as it became quite busy right after we got there. If you are planning on having a sit down breakfast you might have to wait but it wouldn't take to long to get something for the road.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Food can be very expensive in Reykjavik. We ate a LOT of different places. This place had huge delicious deli sandwiches for about 9000-10000 KR. About 9-10 dollars each. In comparison most other places would be 20-25 bucks for a lamb sandwich which I had there. Amazing desserts well priced as well. Highly recommend. Best place for budget conscious foodies.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Sandholt bakarí has been a favourite café/bakery for many years. Their cakes and hand made chocolates are top notch, as befits a professional patisserie/chocolaterie. Service has always been excellent.
I must admit that I find that the place has lost some of its charm after they doubled their space, but not to the extent that I would lower the rating based on that. The quality of their products remains constant and excellent.