“Highly recommended”

Ranked #53 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Boston, MA, USA
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I stayed in the Town House for a week in August 2012. It was clean and quiet, a short walk from downtown and only a few steps from the pools and spa at Laugar World Class. Harpa and her family were very helpful in guiding me to where I needed to be, as it was my first time in Iceland. When I ran into some trouble and lost my phone/had issues with an airline, Harpa pretty much saved me! The kitchen was ample, the bathroom was shared but only with a person or two at the most. And again; it's very clean. I never had to wait for more than a few minutes for the shower. The bedroom had two twin beds, I believe; I am 6'4" (193 cm) and fit comfortably. When I return to Iceland in 2013 I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Brendan12
HarpaTownHouse, Owner at Town House Iceland, responded to this review, 25 December 2012
Hallo:)
And thank you so much for your kind words, it is a nice Christmas greetings.
I wish you and you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I look forward to see you again, and hope Iceland will be at its best for you.
Take care, and all my best.
Harpa.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Whilst on business in Reykjavik I decided to extend my trip by one day to do a little sightseeing and booked into the Town House for one night. There’s one word to describe this accommodation experience and that is awful! I booked a double ensuite room with single occupancy and I got a twin room with a shared bathroom. The lock was broken on my door. The room was so hot it was like being in a furnace. The landlady told me that if I was too hot I could open this tiny window. I opened the window and also tried to turn the temperature down on the radiator but like my door lock this didn’t work! The shared bathroom was in dire need of refurbishment and like many things in this establishment the shower didn’t work properly. The water pressure was zero and it was an effort just to wash the soap off me! Although breakfast was supposed to be included the guest house owner advised that she doesn’t do breakfast and directed me to a shared kitchen area. She showed me a fridge and advised that there would be cheeses etc. in it for breakfast which sounded fine to me. However when I went to the kitchen the next morning all that was in the fridge was some yogurts and portions of butter! There was no bread, just some crackers in a packet. There wasn’t even a kettle to make some tea or coffee just some old coffee machine with no instructions on how to use it. I ended up in a local café for breakfast. Also this place is in an urban district over 30 minutes’ walk from the city centre so don’t stay here if you wish to be centrally located. I know that the room was relatively inexpensive but you expect the basics to be right!

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DeclanO186338
HarpaTownHouse, Owner at Town House Iceland, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Firstly I want to thank you for staying at my guesthouse.

Secondly I want to say how truly sorry I am that your experience was as you have described here, I feel very sad about this.

Since I started my little guesthouse I have always tried to make sure everyone feels comfortable, everything is clean and that my guests get a personal service. And your review has made me quite upset, as I want nothing more than for my guests to leave satisfied and wish that you would have come to me and told me how you felt.

We take all your comments into consideration as we want to provide a good service and always keep improving our facilities if anything goes wrong.

I do want to mention a few things to correct any misunderstandings:

The day you arrived it was quite cold in the room, therefore I had turned on the radiator so that you wouldn´t be cold when you got there. I do recall that I went over this with you and showed you how to turn it down if you wanted. I also did mention that sometimes the lock would get stuck when locking the door from the outside, and that I would watch out for the room, and make sure no one would go in there, which I did.The carpenter then arrived and fixed the lock, like I had mention to you.

I do not offer breakfast included in the price (if it is written anywhere then please let me know where, so that I can correct it) I do however keep things like crackers, cream cheese, butter, tea, coffee and yogurts in the fridge for people to have, free of charge, so that my guests don't go into the day with out anything to eat, the reason is that most of my guests like to use our fully equipped kitchen and make there own breakfast, I have a microwave to heat water, but surely a kettle is on the list of things to buy:)

The whole house, inside and out, was refurbished between 2006-2007 and the pictures that I have posted on here, and on my website show exactly how the rooms look like, I am not hiding anything and they are taken with my regular camera and posted online without any alterations.

A guest came and knocked on my door shortly after you had left and asked me about the shower cord, as the water was not coming out properly. We went right away upstairs and checked it, and the cord had spun around itself somehow so that the water was blocked to come out. We fixed it right away, and have now replaced it.

I would like to ask you to please contact me for a refund as this is of course not how I want to leave things with you, and surely not the experience I would have liked you to have in my little guesthouse.

Kind regards,
G. Harpa Hauksdottir
harpa@townhouse.is
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This is a very nice, simple, small guesthouse run by an absolutely lovely woman, Harpa. I stayed for two nights before traveling elsewhere in Iceland. My single room was large and bright, with two beds (shared bathroom). Harpa was extremely kind and helpful (told me to just knock on her door downstairs where she and her family live if I had any questions, and also gave me their card with phone number and told me to call them if I needed anything else or had any problems during the rest of my stay in Iceland). Harpa takes great care with small details to make your stay comfortable -- for example, there is a fresh bathrobe in your room, some chocolates at your night stand, and she keeps the kitchen stocked with yogurt, nutella, coffee/tea, cookies and crackers since breakfast is not included and she doesn't want you to starve in the morning before you get your breakfast (she said). While she was very kind and helpful, she also was very respectful of my privacy and space. It is true that this place is a bit far from the city center (though 45 minutes stated in another review seems like an exaggeration to me!! Check google maps...), but walking is totally doable -- you can actually take a lovely route that goes right along the sea. You can also easily find cabs in the centre at night to get you home (though they are expensive). I commented to Harpa that she should encourage her guests to put reviews online as she has few, and she said that she does not like to bother her guests with those things. A very refreshing perspective in a city where tourists are constantly bombarded with such requests. There is also a hot tub that I did not use.

Note that the street name is listed incorrectly on this site. The correct address is Laugateigur 26.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
HarpaTownHouse, Owner at Town House Iceland, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Thank you very much for the review and your kind words! I am very glad you enjoyed the stay at my guesthouse, and hope you had a very nice time visiting Iceland!

You are always welcome to stay with us at Town House if you decide to visit Iceland again in the future:)

Summer greetings,
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed in Rekjavik for 5 days. The service and willingness to help from Harpa surpassed any of our expectations. Info Car rentals, Info on the town, where to do laundry, where to eat, etc could not have been handled any better. You don't get this type of personalized service at any of the larger hotel chains. It is a bit of a walk into the city center but but it is only a 45 min walk maximum and it's easy to hop on the bus or take a taxi. The neighborhood where we stayed was very quiet. The beds were comfortable. I would definitely stay here again if I ever returned to Reykjavik. -JP

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review and so glad you enjoyed the stay at my guesthouse!

I hope you enjoyed the stay in Iceland and I am always happy to have you back at Town House when you visit again:)

Summer greetings
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 8 July 2012

stop-over in reykjavik, lovely, heartful and indeed serviceminded owner!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review and I am happy you enjoyed the stay at Town House.

Hope you had a nice time in Iceland and you are always welcome to visit again:)

Summer greetings,