“Great Location, Basic Hotel, Friendly Staff”
Review of Fosshotel Raudara

Fosshotel Raudara
Ranked #39 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We booked this hotel as a bit of a budget option and we weren't disappointed with what we received. Bearing in mind how expensive Iceland is, I was happy with this hotel choice.

I stayed with my sister in a twin room and the room was small, the beds were fairly small and the shower room was also rather compact.

In our room we had a kettle and complimentary tea and coffee which was nice. We had a TV that worked, as well as a clock radio. WIFI is also free in this hotel which is great.

In the shower room, washing your face using the basin can be a challenge as there is a shelf immediately above the basin which gets in the way. It can also be tight getting round the toilet into and out of the shower. However, we had hot water and there were also some complimentary toiletries if you wished to use them.

We had breakfast included in our stay, it's a basic continental type breakfast but perfectly adequate. Not a great selection if you need to follow a gluten-free diet but there is cheese, some fruit and some meats.

The reception staff were fabulous, really friendly and keen to ensure you enjoy your stay. One of them even rushed out to our coach for our day trip as I'd left my hat on a sofa in the lobby.

The hotel is located in walking distance of the main street for restaurants, etc. albeit at the "wrong" end but it takes about 25 mins from the hotel to walk the entire length of the street so it's hardly far.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget who just wants somewhere friendly to rest their head at the end of a day. If you're a light sleeper, perhaps take earplugs as there's a little street noise and I found my eye mask useful to block out street light which seeped around the edges of the blackout curtains.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Samantha B

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Got moved from the Klettur Hotel before travelling. Checked out tripadvisor - seemed ok. Got there around 5pm to be greeted by Reynik, who was efficient and made life easy.
Room was clean, corner ones seem to be best....4th floor get a small balcony. City centre was short walk
Reynik was excellent throughout our stay.....nothing was too much trouble when it came to our requirements
Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 4th floor corner
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here recently on a trip to iceland and before I went I read a lot of very mixed reviews.

The hotel is fine, it's not high end luxury (I don't think, there's really anywhere in Iceland that would do the level of 4/5 star we would expect in Ireland/UK) but it was clean, it was quiet and the location was good for walking into town if you wanted a bite to eat.

As others have mentioned, there was breakfast - some meat, bread, cheese, fish, little fruit, tea,coffee and that seems to be about it, there were some vending machines also if a snack was required during the day. Unfortunately the pizzeria which was attached to the hotel closed before we came and the restaurants close by tended to be busy, but as the hotel was close to the city centre it wasn't so bad to try find somewhere to eat. Although beware! It's all pricey!!

While we would have preferred a proper double bed, we were so exhausted our nights in the hotel we made do with the two beds slapped together to make a double. We were upgraded to a junior suite, a bit of a misnomer though as I think the only difference was we had a small seating area by the window.

What no one tells you before you go to iceland is that the hot water smells of sulpher. Seriously, it's like showering in fart! A shame though as the water is very clean and hot water very abundant. The desire is tainted by how long you can put up with the smell! I'm sure over time you would get used to it.

I do wonder what other hotels were like but again, the convenience of getting around and into down town Reykjavik this place was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank izeult
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We recently had a short break in Iceland.We stayed at the best western hotel.The hotel was clean and comfortable and handily placed for the centre of town.The continental breakfast was adequate but the hotel did not serve lunch or evening meals.We went there to see the NORTHERN LIGHTS,but didn't see them.then we went whale watching but didn't see any whales.

1  Thank johnA965OL
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed for 2 nights on arrival in Iceland and 1 night on departure. For Iceland it is not bad, or so I am told by veteran visitors there.

On arrival I was in 214, described as a "good room" by the receptionist. It was certainly very spacious, almost like a suite compared to the other rooms, some of which my fellow travellers described as pokey. The safe didn't work but everything else did. It has a basic, homely, slightly cheap feel to it. Not much more to say. It did the job, and for the money I think the quality was reasonable. Breakfast was a continental style buffet. Nothing spectacular but not bad.

On departure I had a much smaller room. That was after a room change because some inconsiderate and ignorant person had been smoking in the first one, despite it being a no smoking floor. The lift was also went out of order as I got into it, and there are no staff other than a receptionist so it wasn't much fun taking my heavy bags up 3 flights of stairs. A good cardio workout in the absence of a gym however!

The hotel is only a few minutes' walk from the centre of the town, so the location was pretty good, but that is true of nearly all hotels in Reykjavik. The area is not particularly inspiring - some pretty drab and run-down housing is the view from your window.

Room Tip: Try to get 214, 314 or 414 if they are at no extra cost - they are the large rooms at the very front...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank benmychree
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The staff (especially the lady at the front desk and I believe there is only 1) is super friendly and helpful. Her recommendations were good and she helped us with the shuttle reservation.

The hotel is good but lacked the location. You get all the amenities and value of Best Western, but the street it's on is less desirable (see photos). As far as getting to the city center, it's only a 15 minute walk away.

Room Tip: The upgraded room I received was in between floors. I had to take a short flight of stairs down to...
1  Thank cowlemon
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Great small friendly hotel.Thora at reception was just amazing,nothing was too much trouble which is hard to find these days in some hotels.Close to different amenities great little café down the road called CAFE ROMA where you can have a great lunch also Madonna Italian restaurant 100 yards away and Harry's restaurant next door and a great pizza place down the road.Bank and ATM short walk from hotel.Fly bus will pick you up from hotel and take you on trips and take you back to airport.Went horseriding on beautiful Icelandic horse and finished off with a nice lunch prepared by the nice chef at Eldhestar.Will be back in spring or summer as this was a short winter trip.

Room Tip: Had a deluxe room which gave you settee and table which was nice
2  Thank HON495