“Incredible”
Review of Viking Horses

Viking Horses
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Small groups and luxury rides on the Icelandic horse in the Reykjavik area. We are open all year round and offer day and evening tours. Why us? Our slogan is - Small groups, big adventures - and we strive to make that come true every tour. We are a family owned business, we have top-quality horses and equipment. We love what we do and we love to share it with you. We offer personalised service for beginners and advanced riders.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I opted for the evening group tour and was not disappointed. I had been riding English style for a year and had fallen and broken my arm. Viggo, my guide, however, put me right at ease--found me a horse with a soft step--and we spent the next two hours climbing the lava formations, heading down to the beach and riding through the water, stopping off to taste wild thyme and Icelandic sours that tasted like granny smith apples. Our tour concluded with an evening snack of smoked lamb and flatbread, skyr (Icelandic yogurt), and drinks. It was an outstanding experience and one I wish that I could have repeated several times over. Viggo was attentive, kind, and knowledgable, and the horses were lovely--calm, responsive, and sweet. I would do this again in a heartbeat!

2  Thank platypus2014
harpahodd, Public Relations Manager at Viking Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking Horses and taking the time to write us a spectacular review. Our evening ride is magical, especially when the sky is brightly lit with pink, orange and yellow hues.
It´s great to hear that Viggó put you at ease after your mishap. Great to hear about your enjoyment of the wild Icelandic herbs, thyme and "hundasúra". We love taking our guests out and every single time is a little adventure - we couldn´t imagine doing anything else!

Warm wishes and best regards,
Harpa & The Viking Horse Team

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Wow! If you like horses, this is a MUST do experience in Iceland! I am an experienced rider and my boyfriend had never ridden before, yet we both felt that this was one of the best things we did while in Iceland.

There are many horse tours to choose from, but I wanted to find one that catered to small groups (who wants to ride in a big line??). We were lucky to be the only ones on our morning tour with Viggo! We were picked up at our hotel and drove the 15-20 minutes out to Viggo's stable. As soon as we arrived, it was a full hands-on experience! Viggo asked us about our comfort level around horses and then quickly picked horses that fit perfectly with what I wanted (a feisty one) and what my boyfriend wanted (an automatic one). We then were handed brushes and helped clean up and tack up our horses. We were also provided with warm jackets, wind pants, and gloves - much needed despite the fact that it was July!

The ride itself was gorgeous. We went through fields of purple lupin flowers, near a large lake, and up hills in the lava fields - crazy landscapes! Viggo also let us use his Go Pro camera, which allowed us to take some cool photos (which he emailed to us later). The nice thing about this tour was that we didn't just walk the whole time. Viggo let us tolt, trot, and even gallop! When we went to the lava fields, we literally galloped up the hills - really cool because the horses are incredibly surefooted!

After the 1.5-2 hour ride, we went upstairs to Viggo's home/office and ate a delicious lunch of Icelandic specialties including skyr, flat breads, lamb, and sweet doughnut-like bread.

Would highly recommend this tour if you are looking for a non-corporate, small-business feel!

2  Thank Savanna K

Dear guest and fellow rider,

Thank your for a "wowable" review. I am happy to hear that your ride was such a success and you enjoyed so much. Our motto is, Small groups - Big Adventures! It´s great to hear that Viggó chose the perfect horses for you, "Feisty" and "Auto", and that you loved the beautiful scenery, the Icelandic flora, lava fields and lakes.

Be sure to come by next time you are in Iceland.

Best regards,
Harpa & The Viking Horses Team

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This Viking Horseback riding was such a wonderful, amazing, fabulous experience . I've done lots of horseback riding in the past nothing as amazing as this one. We traveled over the hills, mountains and lakes and I had a blast the horses was so gentle yet strong and very responsive . And view was spectacular!!! Highly recommended ..very relaxing calming trip ♡

2  Thank MARLENNY5

Dear guest and fellow horselover,

We highly appreciate that you have taken the time to sit down and write us a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful nature and spectacular view, and of course or furry and gentle friend, the icelandic horse. If you ever come back to Iceland, be sure to stop by Viking Horses and we will take you on another adventure.

Best regards,
Harpa & the Viking Horses team

Reviewed 27 June 2014

If you are in Reykjavic and you want a real Icelandic experience, you must ride one of these horses! They are beautiful, gentle and responsive animals and will take you through the hills, forests and lava fields on the outskirts of Reykjavic at whatever pace you desire. Viggo was my guide. He carefully chose my horse, gave me a training session and accompanied me on an unforgettable ride. Even though it was raining, I was given rain gear, boots, a riding hat and stayed perfectly dry and comfortable. Viggo carried my camera and took lots of pictures. He prepared a lunch after our ride which was a nice surprise for me. Being picked up and dropped off at my hotel made this all very easy. This is not your typical "horseback riding trail ride" with horses that just follow each other walking in a line. These horses do whatever you ask them to do and you tell your horse what pace to go. If you want to walk, fine, but if you want to trot or canter, you will. I loved visiting Reykjavik, seeing the museums, Harpa etc., but the memory that will be in my heart forever is riding on the lava fields on my Icelandic horse with Viggo.

1  Thank flute7

Dear friend,

Thank you for taking the time to write a such a wonderful review on our little business. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience and our gentle and responsive horses. We do strive to choose the best horse for every guest so everybody can enjoy their Viking Horses ride to the fullest. We are also glad to hear that you liked our unconventional twist to the "horseback riding trail ride" - our motto is - small groups and big adventures :D

Viggó, Svava & Harpa

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Me and my family took a two hour tour with the guides Viggo and Bertha, and though all of us except my daughter, were complete novices in horseback riding, they calmly explained the fundamentals and then took us for a two hour tour with magnificent scenery.
Details like free pick-up at the hotel and snacks/Beverages, complimentary t-shirts and an otherwise excellent customer focus, makes this event one to remember. They even recomended and booked a restaurant for us when we asked for tips of a good one - and it too was great.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Niklas L
harpahodd, Public Relations Manager at Viking Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our business and your experience, your thoughts are very much valued & greatly appreciated.
We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service, how thoughtful and great teachers our guides were. Our guides and the Viking Horses take their roles very seriously and we strive to provide quality customer service every day along with great horses.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Iceland!

Best Regards,