Open today: 08:00 - 21:00
Review Highlights
4 day laugaveger trek (huts) Incredible!

I did the 4 day trek back in the 3rd week of July ’18 with Trek/Arctic Adventures and I can’t... read more

Reviewed 11 November 2018
Gareth J
London
Laugavegur 6 days huts

Excellent trek with beautiful scenery. Guide (Jono) was well informed and great at managing group... read more

Reviewed 24 September 2018
Froniga G
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Reykjavik
from US$1,740.90
from US$72.69
from US$48.46
from US$48.46
More Info
All reviews hiking poles river crossing eye mask day tour packing list neoprene socks black desert fellow hikers grilled lamb first couple of days arctic adventures guide chris ankle support rewarding experience diverse group group members leisurely pace
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We booked the Laugavegur Trek - 4 Day Hiking Tour (Huts) in January 17, we followed all the information on what to pack and what to expect and it didn't disappoint. What an amazing experience, fantastic, made even better by Friman our guide. His knowledge of the area is superb and has lots of stories to tell.
We had a mixed group, Americans, Danes, French, Australian (really a Kiwi), Japanese, German and us (UK), he managed the whole group very well and we were looked after very well.
The huts are basic but the are clean and dry which is all we wanted after a days trek.
The walk is what I would call moderate (I'm 50 and fairly active but no athlete!), around 10 miles per day over mixed terrain (rock, gravel, snow), but Friman paced it well with plenty of information stops and lunch breaks.
The scenery is stunning, don't forget to take a camera.
Thanks, an experience I will never forget.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 9 August 2017

A fun and exciting hiking activity, the mountain scene is very beautiful. The tour is worth to join.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 9 August 2017

LAUGAVEGURINN/FIMMVÖRÐUHÁLS PASS - 6 Days with Huts.

First of all, why you should consider going on this trek and why it gets a 5 star rating: because it is an Epic Hike. (National Geographic agrees as this hike appears in one of their best hikes in the world lists).

You will travel through a totally unique, unpopulated and truly awe-inspiring landscape that is most likely unlike anything you have ever seen before. Every day is different and unforgettable.

However, before deciding to go read the reviews here and make sure you understand the details. While fantastic, this trip will not be for everybody. There are basically two ways to do this hike. One, make all the arrangements yourself and then strap on a backpack loaded with everything you will need for 6 days including all food; or two, sign-up for the tour, let Trek Iceland (aka Arctic Trek) make the arrangements and transport everything for you except a day pack. Going with Trek Iceland does not change the nature of the huts you will stay in, or the facilities available at the huts, but you will be eating something better than freeze-dried rations and carrying a lot less weight.

A consistent criticism of this tour company is that one guide is not enough for a random group of 16 people. I agree with this and considered making this a four star review for this reason. Our group was lucky in that for the four day Laugavegurinn trek we had two guides: a fantastic main guide Arni and also another great guide who was in training (I did not get his name). This provided a lot of flexibility dealing with the different speeds and abilities across the group.

The next most frequent criticism is the sleeping arrangement. In most cases all 16 people sleep together in the same room on less than 16 beds (each bed a little larger than a twin). As you are in a sleeping bag and will generally sleep with your clothes on this is OK, but definitely a situation uncommon even in low-end hostel travel. However this is simply the only option if you are staying in huts. Definitely bring blindfolds and earplugs! (And maybe a sleep aid like Gravol).

The hike is described as moderate which in practice means it is fairly straight-forward for some and very challenging for others. (I was more on the challenged side). We went on the first hike of the season which meant the 1st day was hiking through snow. We pretty much had rain every day and it was common to get a soaking-foot crossing small streams (unless you have a completely waterproof boot). There are a few challenging climbs, both up and down, but of course this is the price for amazing vistas. I found it very helpful to have hiking poles for both the small stream crossings and tough downhill sections.

So I am very glad that I went, and I am also very glad that we did many training hikes in preparation!

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank TAFandango
Reviewed 7 August 2017

My friend and I joined a 6-day camping trek through Laugavegur and Fimmvorduhals in early July. The scenery was spectacular, the group was lovely and our guide Francois was a gem - knowledgable, thoughtful of the group. and lots of fun. He really made it! Tents were good for the terrain (I brought my own but it almost blew away at windy Emstur). Only two things to consider: 1. although the hiking is not technically challenging, there are long days and for someone with bad knees, this could be a very difficult and painful hike. 2. My friend was a vegetarian and there were limited protein options for her, other than cheese. Otherwise, would highly recommend this company and this trek. And special shout out to all the staff and volunteers who keep the trails and campsites in such good shape.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

I just returned from the 6 day trek that I did with my daughter. We had a fabulous time. We were lucky to be in with a group of very interesting people. Everyone got along and we made new friends. Our guide was awesome. One surprise was the size of the huts. Some are very small and they put a lot of people in them. One small hut was set up to accommodate 20 people! Be prepared for zero privacy and sleeping right next to someone you met a few hours ago. If you can deal with this and are ready for some serious hiking, I strongly recommend this. The sights were amazing.

Date of experience: August 2017