My partner and I stayed in Apartment 40 for 5 nights in Aug 2014.
- Small apartment style, so you have a separate bedroom, ensuite, kitchenette (with utensils, basic cooking equipment) and a small lounge area.
- Impeccably clean (and they service the apartments daily too)
- Central location to 'downtown' Reykjavik and the tourist/shopping area.
- Free wifi (in does drop in and out a little bit - but remember it's free! There are 4 wifi network options and you can choose the one that has the greatest strength).
- Small milk in the fridge (it's the small things - enjoyed a bit of milk in my coffee each morning)
- Parking lots and street parking right next to Hotel. About $10 a day - but only if you're parked there between 10am and 6pm (free there after). We never had to pay as we were out exploring all day.
- Secure entrance.
- The remote reception wasn't a problem at all. You just buzz through the intercom, they open the door remotely and your keys are on a bench inside within a marked envelope. Maps and brochures also there with some tourist attractions etc.
- Check-out is a breeze. Because you pre-pay (or we did), you just leave the keys in the apartment and go!
CONS (for consideration, but not show-stoppers)
- It is a little bit noisy - or was on our floor. We could hear the people up stairs walking around quite easily - creeking floors, I guess. Unfortunately, they had a tendency to do this at 2am in the morning...
- They do warn you (there are literally signs on the wall!) - but the hot water is REALLY hot! I struggled with the shower because i couldn't keep the water cool enough to stand under half the time. My partner had better luck. Let's say, once you go hot, you can't go back. Be careful if you've got children that they don't get scolded.
- This is a preference one - but we found the bed really really soft (maybe made of just foam?). Husband actually slept on the floor one night, as he prefers a firm mattress. You sink into this bed. But, as i said...that's a preference thing; so you may have no issue at all.
- Satellite tv had quite a few stations that didn't work (mostly all the english news channels...) but we weren't there to watch tv anyway and used the free internet to check the news.
Overall, we liked this apartment hotel. If you stay here, i recommend asking for a top level floor to avoid the noise issues.
Enjoy your stay - Iceland is a fascinating place. We loved our time there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An airport bus is available for all flights and takes passengers directly to our hotels. You need to book in advance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotel.de and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Castle House Luxury Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle House Luxury Apartments Hotel