“Great Location - Thin Walls”

Castle House Luxury Apartments
Ranked #1 of 108 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I stayed here with my husband just after New Year's in apartment 10. I think self-catering is a great option in Reykjavik since dining out is expensive and not that popular with the locals it seems.

Positives are that the location is terrific - within easy walking distance of the whole downtown and also within walking distance of the bus terminal where the shuttle to the airport and the tour buses stop. The apartment was very well supplied with sattelite tv, dvd player, free high speed internet, and everything you need in the kitchen. The stove only has two burners and there is no oven, but it's adequate for holiday cooking. The apartment was very warm and cozy and the water pressure in the shower was fabulous. Also, they offer a really cool service where they will grocery shop for you before you arrive so that you have things for breakfast on hand when you get there. I definitely recommend doing this - the coffee was great and it set a relaxing tone for the trip not having to worry about finding a store first thing on arrival.

Negatives are that the walls are very thin - you can actually hear people in the apartment above you peeing- and the birds in the lake nearby honk almost all night long. For the first three nights the people upstairs made a huge racket all night long stomping back and forth in what sounded like steel shod boots and arguing. The curtains are only made of sheer gauze and there is a security light left on all night long in the courtyard which shines directly into the bedroom. I am heavy sleeper so was okay anyway, but my husband didn't get much sleep at all. There is also the issue of cleaning. If I were staying at a friend's house it would have been okay, but for a hotel the cleaning was not up to snuff. I found hairs in my clean towels, on the sheets, and all over the shower drain and there was a fair bit of dust around. Also, when we arrived I found out that we had been moved from apartment 40, which I booked, to apartment 10. Although the apartments were almost identical I felt that they should have told me about the change before my arrival.

Despite these problems it was still a good stay and I'm glad I didn't stay at any of the big hotels which are a bit out of the way.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Homebrewer_2
There are newer reviews for Castle House Luxury Apartments

Reviewed 6 January 2009

We booked apartment 50 for 5 nights in October.

The location is excellent, within 5 mins walk to the shops and restaurants yet quiet and peaceful being very close to the large pond and museum.

Apartment 50 had a lounge/bedroom with T.V and sofa, a small but adequate kitchen, small dining room and separate bathroom. This was fine for 5 nights for the two of us but we did get a peak at the apartment next door which was much bigger and had a separate bedroom (not incorporated within the lounge) so would book this apartment next time.

And yes, they do your dishes for you!

Free WIFI was also excellent.

Had an excellent stay in Iceland, only downside is that we didnt get to the Northern Lights - never mind, we will just have to book another trip!

Reviewed 30 October 2008

I don't believe that you can beat the Castle House Luxury Suites for the price. The location as others have said is top notch, as you are within a two-three minute stroll to the main shopping and drinking strip but you wouldn't know it with the quiet, pond-front view from your balcony. We had Apt. 30 and it was totally cozy and comfortable. Adequately furnished sitting and dining area leading out to a nice size balcony overlooking the Art Museum a church and the town pond. Small but well equipped kitchen which was great for keeping our vodka and mix cold in the fridge and having ice cube trays already filled in the freezer like they knew what our intentions were :)
Just across the street is an AWESOME pizza place, Pizzaversmudjan which we ended up eating at at somepoint of almost all six of our days there. We were there for the Iceland Airwaves music festival, which I HIGHLY recommend for any live music lover. A great selection of indie bands from across Iceland, North America and Europe. I'll probably write a separate review to go into more depth about the festival, but the point being here that we were able to easily walk to all concert venues....which saves a ton in cabs as opposed to being in some of the city outskirt hotels. All in all, loved Iceland, was more than happy to have the Castle House to stumble home to at 7am (yes, last call at the bars on weekends is 6am or so! ) and would recommend it as a vacation to anyone who likes a kind of off the beaten path trip. Beautiful and weird and constantly changing scenery as you get out of Reykjavik and explore other parts of the island. I could write for much longer about our trip but I won't....if anyone wants additional info feel free to contact me directly. (I'll post some pics shortly too)

2  Thank ScottyC
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Close to everything in Reykjavik. Very good standard. They even washed our dirty dishes everyday. We loved it!

Recommend to everyone.

Reviewed 2 September 2008

Staying at the Castle Apartments was like having a flat of our own in the middle of reykjavik. It was clean, comfortable, and fully equipped. I could make my own breakfast the way I wanted and experiment with Icelandic foods. And I didnt have to do the washing up. The wifi, and everything else I tried, just worked without fuss. The apartment was in a beautiful location, walking distance from all the places I had to visit. When I rang to ask if we could stay on for a few hours beyond the official checkout time, the staff were completely relaxed and helpful. I'd recommend the place to anyone who likes to travel independently but in comfort.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Myself and my wife just spent 5 nites at Castle House. We were very pleased with our choice. Our unit had a comfortable queen bed, a small kitchen, a living room area with a balcony. The bathroom was equipped with a shower that you will not want to get out of. Plenty of geothermal hot water and great water pressure. We never heard a sound from our neighbors. The House is located about 5 minutes from the centre of town. We got up every morning and ran around the small lake that is located right in front of the House. The grocery store is only a few minutes away. We stocked up on breakfast food/coffee and nightly refreshments. There is a coffemaker in every unit. Go buy some icelandic ground coffee at the store. The staff was helpful. More than happy to answer any questions. We arrived at 1am and the key was waiting for us. There is no lobby. This is not your typical hotel with a big noisy lobby and bar area. It cost us about 200$/nite tax included. We travel out of the country twice per year .Great value, clean, perfect location.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We only booked for one night but were so comfortable that instead of searching elsewhere extended our stay for another night in Castle House. Conveniently located near the city centre. Good size rooms and value for money. Extremely clean and no complaints at all. The flybus from the airport dropped us at the the apartments so we didn't have any problems finding it in the middle of the night but once you wake up you realise how close it to the look and all amenities. Highly recommend it!

Stayed: July 2008