“Perfect spot in Reykjavik!”

Castle House Luxury Apartments
Ranked #2 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Castle House. The location was conveniently located near wonderful restaurants. The apartment had plenty of room for a comfortable stay and was very quiet. We hope to return to Iceland on a future trip and will definitely stay at the Castle House again.

1  Thank Angela60956

Reviewed 17 November 2010

Just got back from my long weekend trip to Iceland and loved where we chose to stay! We stayed in the smallest apartment but it was plenty of room for 2 people for just a few days. I thought the apartments were such a great value because its right next to the downtown area but on a quiet street (best of both worlds). Everyday someone came to clean up the apartment but we had total privacy other than that, never even saw anyone who ran the place even though we could contact her 24 hours a day (and she always answered). Having our own kitchen was a great way to save money (Reykjavik dining out can get expensive!). We were right around the corner from a grocery store where we bought food to make some of our own dinners, breakfasts, and even have drinks before going out (make sure to hit up the duty free shop at the airport when you arrive!). I would definitely recommend this place to others, we had such a fun and relaxing trip!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovetravel525
Reviewed 30 October 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights -- very comfortable place, and it was nice to have more space than in a hotel room. It's within easy walking distance from downtown destinations but is just far enough away to avoid loud weekend goings on.

For a very reasonable small fee, they will stock your refrigerator with breakfast items.

Restaurant meals in Iceland are quite expensive, so having a kitchen is helpful with costs.

3  Thank Mary079
Reviewed 26 October 2010

The room was very good. Well-appointed, comfortable, in a good location. I would recommend staying here and would stay here again.

The issue I had was with luggage storage. Before booking the room I provided my details and asked about storing my luggage and was told that it would not be a problem. I confirmed this a few days before the trip. When we arrived the "secure" door to the building was wide open. We went in and it is just a small landing with no desk or reception. We buzzed the reception area and after a few tries no one answered but simply buzzed us in to this already open landing area. I buzzed again and finally got a person and asked about the luggage storage. I was told that I was just to leave it in the landing for the day.

This was unacceptable (obviously not secure - door was open, buzzed in indiscriminately, no hotel staff there, open to other guests) so we had to go all the way back to the bus station to store the luggage. I didn't mind paying, I minded the time and effort to go back and forth. I wish that they would have told me this was the "storage" ahead of time so I would have known. Just something to keep in mind for your planning.

4  Thank Pugman24
IcelanderReykjavik, Manager at Castle House Luxury Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2010

Thanks again for all the good reviews. Our check out time is at 12 noon, then we need to clean the apartments so check in is at 3 pm at the latest. If the apartment happens to have been free the day before, we let our guests check in from 8 am without an extra charge.

We store luggage until the apartment is ready. If we are not at the reception desk when guests arrive we offer them to leave the luggage in the hallway. However when we arrive, we put the luggage in a better place. There are only 4 apartments sharing an entrance so very little traffic goes through the hallway.

We do not open the doors to just anyone, our apologies if this was done in this case. We will
go over the procedure with our reception staff to make sure this does not happen again.

There is another possibility to store luggage: The BSI Bus terminal has lockers available.

The flights from the US almost always arrive very early. Some of our guests take the opportunity to stop at the Blue Lagoon on their way to Reykjavik. The Flybus takes them there and picks up again for the trip to Reykjavik.

Reviewed 20 October 2010

I stayed at these apartments (no.64) last week when I was attending the Iceland airwaves festival in Reykjavik. Perfect location- minutes from the festival venues and city centre, clean, quiet- apartments are away from the main road behind a church, and all needs catered for- British tv, fast wi-fi, even coffee and tea. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank BarnyBaal
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We just returned from our visit to Iceland and couldn't have been happier with our choice of places to stay. I chose Castle House based on the positive reviews and wasn't disappointed. It is a PERFECT location to base your Iceland adventures. All the tour operators know where it is and arrive promptly to pick you up. It is just a few blocks away from Iceland Excursions - one of the best tour companies in Iceland, so if you choose not to be picked up at the hotel you can walk to the main office in five minutes. The view from the balcony is amazing and it is very close to dozens of restaurants and a 24 hour supermarket. The docks are again - just blocks away for whale watching adventures. It is tucked just far enough from all the activity to be quiet and peaceful. The major shopping street filled with shops and restaurants is just a five minute walk from your front door. It just couldn't have been more perfect and was one of the best experiences we have had choosing JUST the right place to stay.

2  Thank nyimagery2010
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We were in three different apartments since it was not available the same for the six days there, It was always the same procedure, they carried our luggage to the new apartment and left us the key. The apartments are very nice, very clean and very close to everything, plus the area is very quiet. I especially liked the apartment 62 is really small, but cozy and whit enough space for what we needed, we didn´t go to Iceland to spend his days in the hotel room

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple