“good location” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Kiev, Ukraine
“good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

nice,clean and the location is very good,great buffet breakfast, form here we did day tours as we hired a car,went to vik and whale watching boat trip by hvalalif.is
sorry I am not the best writer but I do camera talk

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EYEKLIK
RD_Saga, General Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Best regard
Ingibjörg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Olathe, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

The hotel is middle of the road on quality and the breakfast is definitely not worth the extra cost each day. We were on the 5th floor and the the elevators on our end were broken for two days - had to either walk up and down or go to the other end of the hotel. Sat night there were a couple of parties and the band was so LOUD that there was absolutely no way to sleep. They played until 2:15 AM and we had to get up at 4:30 AM to catch our flight back. The front desk really wanted to help but there was nothing they could do. It was a miserable way to end a trip to a great country. I would definitely stay elsewhere.

The Hilton is a much better value all around.

Room Tip: Get a room far away from the main elevators when you enter the building from the front desk. The noi...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JimOB1
RD_Saga, General Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear Guest.
We thank you for staying at Radisson BLU Saga hotel, we take all feedback very seriously and we thank you for your time to write the review. We are very sorry to hear that our Super- breakfast buffet did not meet your expectation, but we follow Radisson Blu guidelines and standards. Regarding the elevators, we apologies for the inconvenience caused but we are in the process changing them which will be completed in eight weeks time. Unfortunately that weekend we had to close the two elevators that we are changing due to a technical problem. We are very sorry to hear that you could not sleep, but like many hotels we do have ballrooms in the hotel which can be rented out for private functions. Our ballrooms are located on the 1st and 2nd floor and as our guestrooms are on the 4th floor an above, private functions generally do not cause an inconvenience. We also have a strict time limit until 2AM which we do our very best to uphold.
We hope you will have the time to visit Iceland again in the future and I sincerely hope you will give us another chance.

With best regards.

Ingibjörg Ólafsdóttir

Travellers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

This hotel is nothing special with average to below average service. We stayed 3 nights. The internet was supposed to be included but the ethernet cord was missing in the room and they could not provide another one. Our overnight flight arrived early in the morning from Canada but could not get a room till 3pm. Some other passengers got theirs at 9am. They said the hotel was busy but there was only 6 cars in the parking lot.!
The restaurant food was below average. The breakfast was good but overpriced at $27.
The room was hot so we ended keeping the window open that resulted in interrupted sleep due to road noise.
The hotel is a mile away from downtown which is for the most part a pleasant walk.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZingerOntario
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Since there are no 5* hotels in Iceland, I guess the 4* Radisson Blu Saga would be considered one the top? I specifically booked this hotel knowing it was a 10-15min walk from downtown due to a good deal I caught, otherwise, I usually tend to stick with more convenient stays.

Location: 10-15min walk to downtown, depending on speed of course. In fact, I really enjoyed the strolls to and from town, whether it was for food, day-trip meetup point, or just to browse around town. I think walking, taking detours is one of the best ways to get to enjoy/know the city a little bit more. Just make sure you have your wind breaker and prepare to dress warm, as it does get quite windy @times. If you have day trips, most companies have hotel pick-ups anyway, so location wouldn't be a problem.

Facilities: I haven't had a chance to enjoy much of what the hotel's got to offer, due to the long day-trips I took. But they have 2 gift shops that sell souvenirs & jeweleries that were designed and made locally, which you can find similar products around down. One big bonus is that ITA (Iceland Travel Assistance) is located in house together with one of the stores. I find that very helpful, since I didn't have to trouble the hotel staff too much, nor do I have to head downtown to find out how/when/where in Iceland. Staff in ITA are very knowledgeable, helpful. If you don't really have things planned out, just drop by the ITA.
My package incl. daily breakfast, and I enjoyed it pretty well. Although most stuff were pretty standard, for some reason, I just didn't expect that in Iceland. Cold cuts/fresh toasts/pastries/fruits/sausages/eggs/juice bar.. etc.. omelets/fried eggs on request. I usually stuff myself so full, I always had to take the stairs back up. For other meals of the day, I would recommend going to down, as there are many popular and good choices available.

Rooms: The room I had was VERY spacious for one. Everything was neat and clean. Although there was no air-condition, it was pretty easy to adjust the in-room temperature by adjusting the window opening. Free Wi-Fi available.

Service: Polite, direct, job gets done. Nothing too spectacular.

Overall: I stayed there for 6nts. Experience was relaxing. Enjoyed the stroll to/from downtown. Spacious room with no defects or problems for the duration. Enjoyed the filling breakfast. Most importantly, I only spent my time sleeping in the hotel, while I was out for a full day of activities, and so should you, if you are visiting Iceland!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank babaa
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

The hotel is a few minutes drive from the central so if you are renting a car, it's fine. Otherwise, you're better off finding a non "branded" hotel in the city central.
Was here for a conference and it served the purpose. There is not much of a view. The rooms vary depending on whether you get the new or old block, so ask for a room located in the newer section.
The double bed was two singles put together so if you're a couple, this may be quite uncomfortable. Otherwise, it is clean and spacious enough.
The staff generally just left me alone. The reception is small and can be understaffed so if you happen to stay during conferences (I think this is quite often as their clientele type is business people), then you may need to wait a while to be served at the reception.

The restaurant has limited opening hours for the buffet that comes with your stay. So make sure to ask them. Food was quite disappointing as anything more than basic was tasteless. So eating in town is a better idea.

As a business traveler, I asked for wifi in the room but this was not possible. But I was given a LAN cable to connect.

All-in-all, not good value for money. So try to find a boutique hotel in the central.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer block where rooms are less worn out.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank pige_paa_ferie
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I must say this isn't the worst place you could stay in Reykjavik but it could certainly improve on one or two things.

The hotel itself is attractive and clean. There were a couple of spots that needed updating but nothing major. In terms of the location, it isn't central but town is 10/15 minute walk in a straight line so you can't get lost and you do get to stroll through a (very attractive!) local neighbourhood. The staff are friendly and helpful and speak perfect English. My boyfriend was unwell whilst we were there and they were genuinely really helpful, even making a call to a local doctor for us. The little tourist office in the foyer is really helpful and booked us onto a bus for the Blue Lagoon within the hour when it rained one day - can't really fault efficiency like that!

On the downside to the hotel, their efficiency did let them down when the cleaner took my travel towel to be washed. This done off-site so I didn't get it back which was irritating. They also claim to have fresh coffee, fruit and energy bars available for those checking out before the restaurant opened for breakfast. They only provided coffee and biscuits, which was a bit disappointing for a continental brand.

I wouldn't say this is a bad place to stay but the two points I highlighted let it down for me, particularly as it isn't exactly a place either. I would probably explore other accommodation options next time I visit.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We booked this hotel because it was a Radisson and have never been disappointed with any of our visits to their chain, however...... The Saga is not to the normal Radisson standard. It is very dated (although they were renovating some areas) and very basic.

The food was limited in the bar and ground floor restaurant, Grillid was unfortunately closed due to the renovations, with only 2 sandwich choices or 2 main courses !!! Breakfast was very poor do not pay the 2700isk for this it is NOT worth it.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and there is a great tour operator in the reception area who can sort out any excursions.

In terms of location this is not central, however it only takes 10-15mins to walk to the centre but there are 2 main roads to cross so bear this in mind if you want to be in the heart of the city.

Overall an average hotel that (at the moment) doesn't quite deserve the Radisson name.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple