Radisson Blu Saga Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Holt(Reykjavik)
Hotel Hilda(Reykjavik)
2,274 results
All reviewsbusiness classnational museumminute walkcity centreevening buffetbit datedtop floordecent hotelnorthern lightsbreakfast was excellentskyrdomestic airporttwin roomcold meatshappy hourshort breakbread
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had arranged to stay for a weekend with friends. The rooms on the website looked OK and having stayed at other Radisson's I assumed everything would be fine. When we arrived there was some confussion about where the entrance was but we soon overcame this. Plenty of parking if you have a hire car, as we did. Location is far away from any amenities, shops and town centre. A hire car is therefore recommended.
Checking in was stressfull as we had 2 rooms booked and they only had record of one. The young man on reception spent 15 mins looking at our bookng form, his computer, the back office and back to the booking form, as if the booking would majically appear. We asked if they had had rooms, which he told us they did, but they they were also full. A bit confusing. Eventually we were sorted and allocated 2 rooms on the same floor. The rooms were, I have to say shocking. Not since my son was at university have I seen such basic rooms. The windows were so dirty you would have been forgiven if you thought it was foggy outside. One of windows was broken, it would not shut properly and the hotel had stuffed the gap with toilet paper to keep the draft out. There was a wall power socket just hanging out with bare wires behind it, the room itself was not that clean and waste bin had not been emptied since the previous occupant had left it.
We went downstairs to complain and were served by Gunnar, a very helpfull chap, who tried his best but informed us we could not be moved that night but he would upgrade us to the business class rooms at the other side of the hotel. Next day we left our luggage out and the staff moved everything for us. The new rooms were very much better and ensured we had a pleasurable remainder of our stay.

Room Tip: Before arriving ask if you are in the rooms that are accessed via the lifts near the reception. If so ask for the better rooms in the other wing. If you are not happy, complain.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank ukpolo
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments on tripadvisor with your feedback following your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Saga.

I can assure you that I have started an investigation as soon as I saw your comments and have taken precautions that similar issues do not happen again in the future.

Once again, I apologize that this unfortunate experience has given you a wrong impression about the Hotel’s services and standards and I sincerely hope that the experience will not deter you from returning to one of our properties in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Had never stayed in a Radission before but our travel company recomended it but was very dissapointed, was told it was a 4 star but i've stayed in better hostels!!!! When we arrived we were told our room wasn't ready then we had to complain about the shower as it broke, we had a leak in the ceiling, and it was my partners birthday when we arrived and mine the day we checked out and not even a bottle of cheep plonk, would'nt stay there again......

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback that you have shared about your stay in Radisson Blu Saga hotel. We both value and respect your kind comments. I assure that your comments and experiences during your stay are very valuable to us and will be taken very seriously without any delay. We always prefer the listen every guest's experience in details to improve our service standards. For this reason, I would highly appreciate if you may contact me directly on the e-mail isey.thorgrimsdottir@radissonblu.com to let me know your experience thoroughly in our hotel.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Upon arrival, we parked and discovered that what appeared to be the "main" entrance was locked and appeared abandoned. Not a welcoming start to any hotel experience.

The closest alternative door puts you as far from the reception as you can get on the ground floor. While the staff were charming and efficient at the reception (check in and check out), when we decided to treat ourselves to a drink at the bar, we were overcharged by 9 (NINE) beer x 990 ISK. The bartender didn't notice the error, despite our order containing only one beer and one cocktail. When we sat and did the calculation--we were still getting used to the currency conversion--and returned to ask that the matter be corrected, the (new) bartender informed us he couldn't adjust the bill and would have to wait for his colleague to come back and take the bill to the reception to correct it. Not wanting the matter to be forgotten, we remained in the bar far longer than we might have. The bar is overcrowded with wing chairs that have seen better days.

While the hotel is well-located and has plenty of parking, it is in need of a facelift. Breakfast buffet was unappealing--with hot dishes sitting under red lights (making them unidentifiable) and fruit tossed willy-nilly on a platter, cheese and charcuterie looking as though they'd been dumped out of supermarket packaging.

I thought I might treat myself to a room-service lunch one day when I finished work early--but when I discovered that the room delivery charge was ISK1100, I decided I could take myself to the restaurant. I was the only person in the resto at 13:00; but I couldn't find a clean table to sit at, and no one was clearing tables, or offered to clear one for me. I ended up sitting in a corner near the kitchen. The only staff member pointed me toward a buffet (heavily picked over) full of fish products. I am allergic to fish and asked if I might eat from the a la carte menu. "Yes, you can. What did you want?" Thankfully I'd already seen the menu in my room, and I ordered a club sandwich, which was delivered quicky. I was disappointed that there were only six over-cooked onion rings; and that the ketchup was in a container too deep and narrow for an onion ring to fit into. When I turned to asked for my bill, the server had a mouth full of food (apparently from the buffet) and disappeared when he saw me looking around.

As there were no economy rooms available, we chose the "upgraded" business room. While we found the room clean, it was tired--especially the bathroom--and some of the furniture had seen better days. The chain on the bath plug was broken; the light fixture over the bathroom mirror was constantly flickering; the heat control was very basic and hard to find behind a curtain, with a bare wire attachment. The cable TV is inconsistent, with minimal channels in English, several channels not available, and other channels (CNN, BBC) going blank/silent for several seconds at a time. The internet struggled to manage several browsers at one time.

We did find that there are plentiful electric sockets and sufficient lighting, and appreciated the Nespresso machine. The beds and linen were fine, but we were left several towels with obvious large holes. My partner (who came with me for the weekend) checked out on Tuesday morning, and suddenly, only one of each towel was provided. While I understand the principle, when you're leaving holey towels, the least you can do is leave me two...

We are frequent travelers--travelling often to European, Latin American, North American and Asian destinations. We expected that the Radisson Saga would conform to our European and North American experience and expectation, as we are well-versed in the "norms" of business hotels and boutique hotels. Unfortunately, we will not return and we will not recommend this hotel to other travelers to Iceland.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank ACthree60

Dear guest,

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and soon realized that we were in a bad location with absolutely nothing around us, not a simple shop to buy water from. As the food in the hotel is very overpriced, you always need to trek across the bridge to go to the center of town. We should have stayed somewhere central.

What was worse was the level of the service by the receptionist downstairs. As we felt cold on the first night we asked for extra blankets at the reception next morning. The lady we spoke to told me that we should have used the radiator in the room though we could not find any booklet on the facilities in the room. To our request on blankets she said that we could only have extra bed sheets, not blankets, and we said it would be fine with us. To our surprise, we were shocked to find two pillow cases in our room when we returned. I do not know why anyone would think that we would need more pillow cases when we were feeling cold. Shocking. Very cold, unattended service by the receptionist. We are sure that we will not return here. There is no reason to.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Honesty98

Dear guest
I am very sorry to read of your disappointing experience here at the hotel, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused and sincerely regret that you were not satisfied with the service you received and the assistance was given.
The sink water in Iceland is fine to drink, however we do sell water at the front desk. Next to the hotel there is a gas station and only 3 minutes walk we have a small grocery store.

On a positive note, I am glad you shared your honest feedback with us. We make guest satisfaction top priority and are always eager to improve.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to in the near future

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Hotel, especially room (business class) in much need of makeover. Bath enamel chipped, window curtains torn, woodwork aged. Food was never more than warm with inadequate food warmer equipment. Best thing was the staff who, without exception, were very helpful, friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family