“Fun Slide and Hot Tub”
Review of Laugardalslaug

Laugardalslaug
Ranked #2 of 22 Fun & Games in Reykjavik
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Seemingly more focused on proper shower procedure than pool safety but possibly worth the loss of modesty when you can relax in the pool. Wonderful for children, lap swimmers alike... Slides, Rope bridges, hot tubs, and 50 meter pool.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Took the bus to the pool from Hospital area. I think it was #49. We rented towels. Was shocked when I walked in with my 6 yr old and everyone was naked. I would advise families to prepare their little ones. Originally our plan was to visit the BL only but last minute surprised our daughter and don with a trip to the public pool. My husband was very apprehensive after the public showering episode...lol...it was kinda funny to see him forced out of his box. We went around 7pm and it wasn't full. The pool closes at 10pm so I think that was a great time.

Locker rooms are okay. A pair of flip flops might help as there are many wet areas where you can slip inside the locker rooms. The attendants make an effort to mop up excess water though. There is a hotdog stand outside where you can get a snack. Great alternative if looking for a geothermal pool while in the city.

2  Thank deniuh
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Well, yes, we all feel obliged to 'do' the Blue Lagoon, but to be honest, given the cost and the travelling, I could have happily missed out on BL and stayed here instead.

We came on the Sunday afternoon after the solstice, with a festival going on next door, and it STILL wasn't that busy.

I have to disagree with some of the other reviewers though:
1) Waterslide. Not fast??? Oh yeah? I came out of there kidneys-first and swear it was like being a skimmed pebble. I think they've lined the bl##dy thing with Teflon. My second go :-) I tried to be a bit more conservative at launch, but no good - still came out looking like a shop's dummy stuck in a crate. The third attempt displaced me gonads, but at least I stayed the right way up.
2) Tattyness. The place is nothing like "run down" as some have said. It's certainly well used, and has a comfortable lived-in feel. If you're used to Disney-style water parks where the plants are vacuumed and even the mosquitos get washed, then maybe you'll notice an odd missing tile or flake of paint - but otherwise, if it's good enough for the locals then it's good enough for you.

Aaargh, panic, getting nekkid! A.k.a showering protocol!!!
Yes, I'm a shy brit too, and I was apprehensive before i even left the UK.
Once you realise that the water isn't full of bromide or chlorine (great!!) then you appreciate that you need to be clean BEFORE you go in. The idea that you shower naked is just an equaliser - we ALL know that we're ALL scrubbing our, erm, bits 'n' bobs. Once you've done it the Icelandic way, you'll wonder why we do it differently back home.

We walked out to Laugardalslaug from the city centre - basically just follow the main shopping street out past the bus station - 45 minutes at a slow pace.

Caught the bus back. Dead simple, it's a flat fare, just drop your money in the slot. The name of each stop shows up on a display, and there's a linear route map on the timetable. Nothing to worry about (and if you did muck it up, you're never going to be miles from anywhere).

Recommendation?
1) Camping towels, so you don't have to rent a towel, but rolls up nice and small for carrying - do wash the thing a couple of times before travelling though, otherwise it just sorta pushes the water around you rather than wicking it up.
2) Correct money for the bus. 350isk at time of writing, and they absolutely don't have change.
3) Take towel poolside with you and leave it on a ledge/chair/windowcill . Don't worry, no-one is going to nick it!!

12  Thank impvan
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Laugardalslaug (or "Loogiesloog" as I affectionately refer to it) is a place for everyone, young and old. It has attractions that will appeal to all; small slides for the kiddies, a three story water slide for the adventurous kiddies and grown-ups and hot tubs ranging in temperature from body temperature up to the temperature in hell ;-). There is even a salt water hot tub, steam room, indoor and outdoor lap pools and newly renovated locker rooms. And this is just the pool. Loogiesloog also offers an array of other amenities including massage. But I've never taken advantage of these. There is no need to. The pool is fantastic in itself - and WARM! Plus, you can't beat the price of admission. It's a steal. And, you never know, you may even run into some Icelandic celebrities.

1  Thank Sabrina H
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Went on a cloudy, rainy, 55F (13C) day. Once you are in the water you don't notice the air temperature. The water slide was kind of cool, not terribly fast for those scared of that type of thing. Tried some of the hot pots surrounding the pool area. Didn't try the indoor pool. There's something about being that far in latitude north and swimming outside. I can only imagine what it is like in the middle of winter.

I didn't think too much about showering naked before and after getting out of the pool. Just kind of got through it, everyone else had to do it too and it was "sort of" neat to be an Icelander for a day, although I can't imagine doing this back here in the States. Give one of the local pools a try one day and live the experience!

2  Thank Dan809