“Right in the heart of the city - loved it!”

CenterHotel Skjaldbreid
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 16 May 2014

What a great little hotel! I booked a package trip to Iceland through IcelandAir for this past March, and I thoroughly enjoyed staying at CenterHotel Skjaldbreid. I selected a single since I was staying by myself, and while the room was certainly reminiscent of my college dorm room, it was plenty big for me. I had little plans of being in the room for long but for sleeping! The room itself still had a mini fridge and a coffee maker, as well as a TV for those who feel inclined. The bed was quite comfortable, and the room has privacy blinds that block out the sun for daytime naps.

Daily breakfast is included - and for the prices of dining out in Reykjavik, I was glad to not have to worry about finding breakfast each morning! It's Euro style (which I love) - cereal, toast and jam, hard boiled eggs, cold cuts and cheeses. Their coffee was delicious - I want to say it was Illy brand - and they even had to-go cups for their guests that wanted to sip their coffee while exploring. I took advantage of that while trying to catch a tour out to the Golden Circle one morning.

My favorite part about this hotel is that it was so conveniently located on Reykjavik's main street Laugavegur, which has a lot of the city's most popular restaurants and bars, boutiques and thrift stores. This is perfect for a solo traveler. I couldn't even really hear the noise at night.

Definitely recommend a stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Holly R
There are newer reviews for CenterHotel Skjaldbreid

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The location of this hotel is within 10 minutes walking distance to everything to see and do in Reykjavik. It is very close to wonderful restaurants (ask at front desk for suggestions), shopping is at your door and the harbor is just minutes away. Rooms are not big, but ok sized. Very clean accommodations as well as comfortable beds. Front desk staff, Tony, is extremely helpful not only with planning tours but insider knowledge. We visited with friends and we all enjoyed the stay. Breakfast was simple but ample. Coffee and tea were available all day and into the evening. We will stay here again when we return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back and on top floor for a water view and away from street noise, especially...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jcburdick3
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel was clean and very well located in the main shopping district of Reykjavik. It is within easy walking distance of downtown and the harbor. There were plenty of cafes and restaurants within a couple of blocks.

However, due to the traffic on the narrow street, most of our "hotel pickups", whether for tours or transfers, were actually 1-3 blocks away. If we were disabled, or had heavy belongings, it would have been a bad situation. As it was, we made do.

The included breakfast was the same every morning, but plentiful and nicely presented, with lots of options from cereals to fish, meats and cheese. Fruit was always fresh and appeared to be locally grown. The breakfast room is on the top floor of its section, with plenty of large windows: the aura was spacious although the room was not large.

In all, this is a fine place to stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Perfect location (right on Reykjavik's main street), friendly staff, breakfast buffet was basic but good, free high speed WiFi.
The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly. Would definately recommend and visit again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, try not to get a room on the lower floor over the street or just wear ea...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Arnarhar
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Slap bang in the middle of Reykjavik on the main shopping road, you couldn't ask for a better base for your Iceland adventure!
The guy on the desk was very welcoming and very friendly - telling us all we would need to know, he felt very approachable. And of course, like all Icelandic people, spoke perfect English! Cannot fault the service.
The room is absolutely fine; it's a reasonable size and well equipped with a TV, tea and coffee making facilities and a fridge. The heating is phenomenal! For someone who gets cold easily - the top setting is roasting - loved it! The room was clean and I slept very well, especially considering the central location.
The 'Sun Room' was a lovely welcome addition, somewhere you can go and relax and make coffee and tea and most times of the day.
Breakfast was perfectly adequate, exactly what we would expect for the price, and because food in Iceland is so expensive - it was great to be able to not worry about the most important meal of the day!
We had a car as well, we were able to park for free very close to the hotel, maybe a three minute walk away. The guy on the desk was able to give us some good advice about where to park without getting a ticket.
Iceland itself is positively stunning. If you are thinking about going here, just go! We went here for four nights, and spotted the incredible Northern Lights, explored the golden circle and relaxed in the hot pools - Iceland I will be back! Thanks Centerhotel for making our trip amazing!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KaylaManning
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Although our twin room was tiny, we liked it. It had everything we needed: iron with board, flat screen tv, kettle and small fridge. Reception staff extremely friendly, we felt very welcome. Perfect location on main shopping street, plenty bars and restaurants around.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Agnieszka X
Reviewed 2 May 2014

First off if you are person who's number one criteria for a hotel is location, this is your baby! It's got a great location in the heart of Reykajavik and everything is walkable from the front door.
The hotel is small (most hotels in Iceland are). My first problem was a large suitcase and navigating the stairs. There are stairs coming in and stairs getting to the elevator. When I got up to the check-in I found a very helpful desk clerk. She was friendly and gave me all kinds of helpful information for my short 24 hour stay in Reykjavik. She even booked a day trip to the Blue Lagoon as I was standing there. Very helpful and great service.
My room was very small, about the size of a budget room on a cruise ship or a college dorm room. It was sparse. The bathroom only had a shower and it too was very tight. However it was clean. I had a nice view of the street below.
The problem was that you think of Reykjavik as a quiet town, but this is the center of town and late into the night people walking under my window screaming (mostly American teenagers) kept me awake. Plus the bed was not so comfortable and a very narrow single bed.
The next morning I found the breakfast to be delicious and a fun view of the roof tops of Reykjavik. Overall the hotel had both hits and misses. It was fine for one night, but I might look else where for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Try not to get a lower floor over the street - there was a lot of street noise late into the night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo