“Careful on party nights”

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura
Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Westchesterd County NY
“Careful on party nights”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Small tidy rooms, clean and efficient. We arrived on a Saturday morning on an Islandair package from NY and were pleased the room was ready before 10. What we weren't pleased about, however, was the raucous noise from the party room downstairs that evening. By 10, as it got louder and louder, I called downstairs and was told the party would go til 1 AM. I asked for a room change and was fortunate to get it -- to the third floor, farther away and higher, which was quiet. The next day we met two couples who called later than we did and there were no more rooms available for a switch. They said the noise lasted past 2 AM -- and they couldn't sleep through it. They got "sorry's" and ear plugs from the front desk. So if you are there on a Saturday night, check out if there's a party and how far your room is from the banquet hall by the elevators. It's probably easier to get a quiet room before the party starts.

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Icelandairhotel, Front Office Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear 24 theroadoflife
Thank your for your honest review of your stay at the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura.
I have read and acknowledge your comments on the event in our banquet halls on Saturday night. When private events take place we always try to anticipate the possible impact these may have on other guests even before the event starts. We always go to great lengths to try to find rooms away from the banquet hall, and in case people have already checked in, offer to move them before the night. Sometimes this is impossible, which was the case last weekend. I am glad we were able to move you to another room, even though this must have been an inconvenience for you, but realize that the other two couples were not as fortunate. Please accept my sincere apologies. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
I am glad you were able to take advantage of our early check in policy, and that you liked the rooms.
I very much hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel.
Katelijne Beerten, kate@icehotels.is

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I would have rated this 4 stars except for one thing. We stayed in Room 203 for 4 days -- very quiet until Saturday night. We came back from a 12 hour tour after midnight. There was a "private" party being held right under our room. The music was so loud, the bathroom walls were vibrating. We went downstairs to complain and were told there was nothing they could do, the party was booked until 2am (and the music continued until then which is when we were finally able to sleep).The man at reception was not even nice or sympathetic and refused to do anything. In fact, we found that most of the folks at the reception area were not especially nice or helpful. They would answer specific questions, but weren't at all forthcoming with any additional information. The other staff, however, were very friendly -- particularly the ladies at the Tour desk and spa personnel (who i thought were exceptional). Regarding the restaurant, the food was very good (didn't have the breakfast buffet). We particularly liked the hot smoked salmon dish, the lamb and Icelandic cheese. So all in all I would come back here (loved Iceland) -- just don't stay in that wing of the hotel if there's a party going on.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the wing where Room 203 is located.
2 Thank jennylynn
Dear Jenny Lynn
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us this past weekend. Whilst I am pleased to hear that you liked the hotel and the restaurant overall I am most disappointed to read about your experience on Saturday night. When private events take place we try our utmost to place the guests attending the event in rooms affected by them. Unfortunately, last Saturday we were not able to do this for all rooms, including yours. On top of that, and very discerning to me is that the warm and friendly service on which we work hard seemed to have been off. I want to offer my sincere apologies for all of this, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at the below email if you want to discuss this further.
It would be my pleasure to personally find you a quiet room which would not be bothered by any private events should you decide to try us once more which I sincerely hope you will.
Kind regards
kate@icehotels.is
Surrey, British Columbia
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This is an older hotel but has been updates recently and is clean, comfortable (cozy even) and very well maintained. It is located at the regional airport but I could barely hear the aircraft right outside my window. The staff are very friendly ave very helpful. Excellent breakfast spread too. The location is an easy and interesting 20 minute walk to downtown, but there are shuttles and lots of taxis. Of interest is the hill right across the street that takes maybe 12 minutes to walk up. There you will find The Pearl and a decent view of the town. This was part of a three day Icelandair package which is an excellent value.

Room Tip: Mine was 302 right a the east end. Quiet and cozy and spotlessly clean. If you are interested in avi...
Dear Terpening
Thank you very much for your kind words. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our team at the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura met your expectations. The Icelandair packages are indeed an excellent value, and the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura has a good location: perfect for pick up for tours, close to nature trails and the seaside, but still, as you mentioned, an easy and interesting walk to downtown.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sincerely
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed here on an Iceland Air special. It was a fine, modern hotel and is well known in Iceland as something of "the national hotel." Perhaps comparable to a big airport hotel in your city. Dignitaries stay there; funeral dinners are held there. We were on a four day tour and it was perfect - all the tour busses stop there, and it is closer to the airport and Blue Lagoon than is downtown. They do have free shuttle if you want to be in the city from eleven to five or longer, which we were a couple of days. If I were to stay longer, I would probably prefer a downtown hotel. The breakfast is great, lots of variety and plenty of healthful options, and compared to local prices, it's a good deal at $20 US (we took food to cover lunch for the day also, which helped.) One dinner at the Satt restaurant gets mixed reviews: at simliar prices, the fish stew was delicious, large and filling, whereas the lamb soup was small (imagine a can of Cambell's chicken soup without noodles and with a few slices of lamb) thin and overpriced. Yes, the hotel is too warm indoors, so it was very nice that windows opened in the rooms. Everywhere indoors (and in busses) in Reykjavik was warm - be prepared to dress in layers! The Circle Tour was great. In Reykjavik, we enjoyed the history museum as well as the interesting manuscript museum at the Culture house. We went in late February, and in the rain and sleet, there were not many folks on the streets downtown. For brunch in the town, try the Laundromat cafe: if you have young kids, there is a great play area downstairs. Finally, there is a snack cart by reception at the hotel with very reasonably priced yogurt and fruit. If you are on a budget, bring some munchies and your favorite tea bags.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lela26
Dear lela26
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us here at the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura. Whilst you appear to have enjoyed your overall stay with us, I noted your mixed review on the satt restaurant. Please accept my apologies as we recognize this is an important part of your experience of the hotel. I have forwarded your comments to our restaurant management, and hope to be able to welcome you again in the near future.
Best regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Reykjavik Natura Feb 7-10 as part of Icelandair's package tour. For the tour price, you couldn't beat the hotel. The outdoor architecture is not inviting at all, but they manage to warm up the inside with patterns and colors tastefully dotted around the lobby and hallways. I found this hotel to be basic but more luxury could be had for an a-la-carte price. Icelandair has some corporate offices in the building (I briefly went though these to meet up with one of the staff) and the building was used frequently while I was there for general conference purposes.

A few things: I did not eat at the restaurant, or use the spa/pool facilities as I was away from dawn (10:30A) until well past dusk every day. I did drink at the bar, and I found the prices to be high but on par with other drinking establishments. Hotel is nonsmoking! Yay! There are a few computer terminals in the lobby for checking email, internet access and Skype.

The staff at the front desk were accommodating and helpful. Cleaning staff for the most part did not speak any english as many other Icelander's do, but I think many of them were of foreign descent and didn't speak any Nordic language either. We made do with miming. (interpretive dance with towels , coffee packets, etc..) They were also very nice.

There were snacks just to the left of the front desk (sandwiches and drinks) available for purchase 24 hrs if you needed something. Tip: I am a coffee freak, and with all the conferences coming through, there was a Kaffitar coffee machine in the conference area. I did sneak over and have about a dozen or so cups while I was there (thank you Hotel Natura catering staff if you're reading this!!) which was wonderful.

I had a basic room. I bought an Icelandair package and landed in an Ikea display room! The room was small, but functional, as was the bathroom. The shower fit a single person only but had fantastic water pressure and the toiletries had a wonderful herbal scent. All the amenities that I really needed were there, including wireless internet, hair dryer, etc. There was a small electric kettle to heat up water in the room: good for coffee, tea, and soup cups that I bought at the local convenience store. One thing truly lacking: no refrigerator. I kept some cheese and canned soda on the windowsill to keep cold. Also, and I think this is just an Iceland thing: the room was very warm in early Feb, even on the lowest heat setting. I had to open up the windows for temperature control. The bed was surprisingly comfortable.

As far as location, it was a long walk to the city center from the hotel. There is a shuttle, but one had to be aware of the very sporadic times. Ended up taking a cab at times to get to other locations, e.g. public baths, shopping mall. If the weather was nicer, probably would've walked to the shoreline nearby, but it just wasn't the time of year to do so. I am a student pilot, so being next to the Reykjavik airport was great (this is not the main airport, BTW) in that I could walk right over to the nearest FBO (fixed base operator) and go flying if the weather was permitting. BTW, flying yourself around the area with an instructor and passenger was about a third the price of an air tour. If you had signed up for any air tours or flights, the domestic ones left from right next door. The airport was not loud at all.

As I was there as part of a tour package, the busses all come right to the front door. Word to the wise: be ready to leave in the lobby half an hour BEFORE your scheduled departure time for any tour or bus. Oftentimes the time on your bus departure schedule is for another stop or the bus depot, and you may miss your bus, although the drivers do everything to ensure that they have all reserved people on board.

Did make a local call from the room: this was quite expensive. Also bought an adapter plug for the wall socket at the front desk: this was about $11 or so.

In all, I really enjoyed the stay. I think that next time I come to Iceland, I might want to stay in something more like a B+B only as a matter of personal taste, but Icelandair's package deal was too good to pass up, and really was comfortable overall.

Room Tip: Consider an upgrade, but not really necessary. Rooms were quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank silvergirl70
Icelandairhotel, Front Office Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Silvergirl 70

Thank you for your kind and detailed review of the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us. Our team works hard to ensure our guests have wonderful stays with us.
I hope we have the opportunity to look after you again in the near future.

Kind regards
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Our first trip to Iceland. We booked a great package offered by Icelandair that included airfare, 3 night hotel stay and glacier/northern lights tour. We had a selection of 2 hotels. Hotel Natura was clean, the rooms were adequate in size, neat and adequately decorated and comfortable. The location was right next to the domestic airport but we did not hear any noise during our stay. The staff were very friendly and efficient. On our first day, we arrived prior to the confirmed 10am check. The front desk checked us in early. We were given a gift voucher for breakfast after our check in. The buffet breakfast had an extensive selection of hot and cold foods which included scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausages, great baked beans, pikelets, assortment of breads, cheese, cold cuts and an array of local dishes including Skyir (Iceland form of yogurt) etc. There is a shuttle bus that dropped you off downtown which was only less than a 10 minute drive. Although the times were not that frequent and the shuttle bus stopped servicing early taking a taxi was easy and cost around 1,800 IKR for downtown. The hotel staff were very good at ordering a taxi for us each time we needed it. In all not a bad place to stay.

Room Tip: Each room is decorated in different themes. We stayed in the Poets room. Other rooms that our friend...
1 Thank Elmo M
Dear Elmo M

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel, we always love to hear from our guests! I was particularly happy with your honest feedback on the breakfast, which we have been working on. Indeed, as you wrote, we have an array of truly Icelandic dishes in our restaurant.
Regarding the shuttle and transportation to downtown, we have tried to find a schedule that accommodates most of our guests, but we do realize that we cannot accommodate all. Taxis, as well as the local city buses that run every half hour by the hotel are a good alternative, and the 20 minute walk isn´t bad either on a good day.

Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to make use of these, we certainly look forward to welcoming you .

Best regards
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I recently spent 6 nights at the Natura. The hotel is clean and the spa is good. The restaurant staff was great! The food was excellent. Had the lamb and several fish dishes. The hotel staff was not friendly and the tour staff person was incompetent. They were very lackadaisical and not helpful. I needed a cab to go to the Pearl which is nearby but I cannot walk much and I asked the clerk to call a cab for the Pearl. She did so but did not inform us that it does not open until 10am. It was 9am. We had to wait outside in the cold wind and rain until it opened. She could have told us about the hours. Just an example. Overall I loved Iceland but I believe that the hotel staff needs further hospitality training especially the tour person who had long lines and was constantly taking breaks and did not answer the phone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear llamalily,

thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the unfortunate service inefficiencies you experienced, I can certainly understand your frustration with having to wait outside the Pearl. I have forwarded the comments and will review them with our team.

If any future travel brings you back to Reykjavik, we would love to have the chance to show you on our best side.

Warm regards,