“Good business-style hotel”

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I spent a couple of nights here. As others have said, this is a corporate/business-style hotel, and a pretty good example of the genre. Staff were consistently polite and helpful, and all (as almost everywhere in Iceland) spoke good English. (No bad thing as few visitors speak even a smattering of Icelandic!)

The room was decently furnished, with coffee-making facilities (although my room had only a couple of small packets of cheap instant) and a comfortable chair. Oddly, for hotels of this style, there was nowhere to put a bag whilst I unpacked, so I had to use the bed. Not a problem, but the lack will surely lead to more wear and tear. There was plenty of hot water, but the shower was closed by a curtain, with some water inevitably landing up on the floor outside.

The breakfast was typical of similar northern European hotels, and the food was of a better standard than I have found at many. Flasks of coffee (ok, not outstanding) were available for guests to take to their tables.

The location may not be ideal for everyone, as it is near the Reykjavik domestic airport (NOT the international airport at Keflavik) and the long-distance bus station on the outskirts of town.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John987654321
Write a ReviewReviews (2,262)

Reviewed 22 November 2013

This hotel was very nice. We got a basic room (for two) which was small but very clean. The bed was very comfortable with a nice fluffy down duvet. It is not in the downtown area which was fine for us. There is a bus that is right across the street that will take you into town or you can walk the 20 minutes into town if you prefer. The hotel provides a free bus pass - you need to ask for it. The breakfast buffet is very inclusive and you should take advantage of it (hours 7:00 to 10:00) because food is very expensive in Iceland; about $22.00 for a hamburger - to give you an example. I would definitely go back to this hotel if I get the chance to visit Iceland again. Had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: There is a small airport right next to the hotel. We did not hear anything because I think they can...
1  Thank nomorcamping
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Did a three night package ( flight and hotel) ex Ireland. My first time on a package break so I wasn't totally comfortable with the idea as I like to book my own accommodation. The hotel is very basic but comfortable. Our room was small but the bed was comfortable. Bathroom was adequate but was very disappointed I didn't have a bath! There seems to be a shortage of towels as we never had the full consignment required for two people even though we brought this to the attention of Reception. I was also surprised that the room wasn't very warm and even with the thermostat at its highest it was only just adequate. Breakfast is definitely the best part of what the hotel offers. Food is served in the bar area and though it is perfectly fine it's not great. We used the Spa once and I was surprised at how small the pool was. I'm really glad it wasn't busy when we were there.Overall the hotel is fine. We were given passes to use on the bus service into Reykjavik and that was a nice touch. There is a small airport at the back of the hotel and even though I am a light sleeper this was not an issue. Not sure that I'd want to return to this hotel unless I was guaranteed a better room. Maybe we were unlucky. Iceland is incredible so I will definitely be back. The travel broker ranks this hotel as a 4* but I think it's a 3*.

4  Thank Contessa1000
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The hotel is what you expect from a national chain -- clean, comfortable, and staffed by friendly and helpful people. The hotel also provides a guest bus pass for you to ride into downtown if you don't have a car. If you have a car, there are ample free parking spots.

The breakfast buffet is one of the better ones of all 5 hotels I'd stayed at.

The standard room has almost everything you need minus the frig, but it is on the small side. There is free WIFI in the room, and a flat-screen TV. I'd requested a double, but got 2 twins pushed together. It seems that is the norm in Iceland.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an equivalent to US standard room size, upgrade.
1  Thank cowlemon
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Very pleased to stay at this hotel. Service was great. Lots of people are always checking in but they make it a smooth process. Staff was very accommodating. Room and hotel was spotless. Breakfast was delicious with so many choices. Bus passes are provided to go to city center. Would definetely return.

1  Thank 93mom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Rooms were fine, clean and comfortable.
Dining was great, tasty and not too badly priced.
Airport behind did not operate during the night which is fine.
Out of the city area but on the plus side great if the northern lights showed themselves. (we can't win them all)
Overall experience was good here. nice big hotel with lots of area's to go.
Spa should be free to guests I think that way it would be much busier.
Buffet breakie ABSOLUTELY delicious.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.

I would definitely stay here again .

Room Tip: If you want a good shot during the night to see northern lights stay here and not the city. There is...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in October 2013 at the Natura. It is very clean and comfortable but in no way luxurious , and the rooms were very basic. As someone said, if IKEA did hotels, this would be one of theirs. On the plus side, the staff were extremely courteous and helpful, and this is the only reason I would return to this hotel. It is situated about 7 minutes walk for the centre of the old town, beside the domestic airport. At first I thought the noise would be an issue but the planes stop flying in and out about 8pm so it wasn't a problem. Great breakfast with plenty of choice.
Our tour operator had booked this hotel for us but if I was to return I would try a different location.

The bistro on site was fairly basic, the food good, but the prices were unbelievable, even though I was expecting everything to be so.
Reyjavik is a beautiful city, and Iceland is well worth the visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple