“pretty low quality”
Review of Hotel Cabin

Hotel Cabin
Ranked #47 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Stayed here as park of a package with icelandair. First impressions ok, front desk, dining room and bar area looked ok - but rooms are rubbish. The rooms were absolutely tiny, 2 single beds separated by a tiny desk. staff were not very friendly (not rude either though) they just didn't really make much effort - not even a smile or a 'good morning'. Breakfast was adequate, nothing fancy but did the job. No controller for the TVs in the room (im being pickey now...) but not important you dont visit iceland to watch the telly. Hotel is a good 20 min walk from city centre.

The only thing I liked about the hotel was the lift - super fast!

Last time I was in Reykjavik I stayed in the centerhotel plaza - wish I had gone back there...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,163)

Reviewed 16 December 2010

Our last stay at the Cabin, yes, we came back so that must stay something, was at New Year 2009. Don't expect luxury, whatever that might mean, but you can expect good service, clean, if quite compact, rooms, and fellow residents that will probably share your interest in the natural beauty of Iceland. Well, that's why you are here, is'nt it? The hotel is a brisk 20-minute walk from the centre of Reykjavik, but is on a handy bus route if you want to save time. The view across Reykjavik Bay to Esja isonly across the road, and the Kringlan shopping mall, for hardend shoppers, is also within walking distance. Would we come again? We are already booked for this year!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I'll get a rollocking from my other half for writing this review but we stayed at The Cabin on our last night in Iceland and I was disappointed.

I think it's a hotel on a budget. Clean enough but basic. Polite enough but impersonal. Uptown but just too far from downtown to walk. It seemed to be a busy hotel but I wouldn't return because of the lack of character. Compared with budget hotels in the US i.e. Holiday Inns, Hamptons etc it didn't hit the mark.

Plus points: Clean, hassle free and with free on-site parking. Negatives for me (and I appreciate they're just my opinions) Small room, traffic noise, gauntlet of smokers clustered around the front doors, bright orange orange "juice", luminous marmalade and coffee that needed a strong coffee to wake it up.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Stayed for 4 nights at the Cabin. Had booked a De-luxe room for additional $10 pr night, since the standard rooms are extremely small. Small buffet breakfeast with cereals, bread, ham, cold eggs, cheese, tomatoes, cucumber and fruits. Additional coffee, tea and juice, all included in the room rate. The hotel is a bit away from the city centre, there is about 20 min walk to the central Reykjavik. The hotel are close to the Laugardalslaug swimming pool, hot pots which are open until 22.30 on weekdays, very nice evening activity.
Beware that internet are not included in the room rate!! You will have to buy a ticket at the reception. Wireless connection was bad in my room, which were located in the new section of the hotel.
Remember to aks for a room on the oceanside the view is so much nicer!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2010

A clean, no-frills hotel not far away from Reykjavik city centre. Excellent bus connections (bus-stop right outside the hotel). Breakfast is very good, so is the salad bar in the hotel restaurant. Comfortable bed, everything in good working order. Slept like a baby although my room faced the street. Excellent value for money. Friendly staff (no excessive smiling, but polite and helpful).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We only spent one night here before leaving Reykjavik for a tour of Iceland. We knew it was the budget option, and that was fine for what we wanted. Our expectations were low, and therefore exceeded! We had a deluxe room, which was certainly a reasonable size - and the bathroom had a bathtub, which was the only one we saw in Iceland.

The bed was comfortable and we slept well; service was friendly and efficient. The free breakfast provided for deluxe room occupants was better than we expected (although the fruit "juice" was squash).

It's an easy walk into R'vik, and this would be a good base for a stay in the city. Had to laugh though at the mention of ocean views - yes, we could see the lovely bay, but the petrol station and several tall buildings did impinge on the picturesqueness a bit!

All in all, excellent for what it is.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed in Jan/Feb '09 (the earliest date I could give was Oct 09) so this review is a bit late. I am not sure if it has changed much since then. But I was satisfied with the experience and thought it best to share it.

It's called Hotel Cabin for a reason I think - the room was very much like one you'd get in the cabin of a ship! It was very small and functional, but it was clean, it had a TV, cosy bed and things to store your stuff in. We wanted it as a base and nothing more - we really wanted to see what Iceland had to offer so didn't plan on spending much time there. So it was great for us, but if you want a luxurious hotel or a bit of a treat, you'll be disappointed. My colleague went just after us with his partner and they paid more for the deluxe rooms which he said was worth it, but we were on a budget so this suited us just fine (Iceland is expensive, as I am sure you know). There are no frills or pretensions - you get what you pay for and it was just right for us.

Some rooms don't have outside windows, I think, but ours did, overlooking the snow. In the summer, it's light for much of the time, so that may be a blessing in disguise. I guess you could request one with an outside window?

The breakfast was decent - an all-you-can eat buffet with bread, cereals, cheese, cold meats and cold fruit/salad-type stuff, all seemed fresh. Absolutely fine and we were filled up with food ready for a day ahead.

Reception were helpful. The hotel was a bit of a walk from the centre of Reykjavik - we didn't mind this, we enjoyed the walk in the snow, but if you find it less easy to get around or if the weather is horrible you may want to get a taxi (it was very flat but took us about 20 mins) which could be expensive.

As I said, we were in the small rooms which were tiny, so if you're looking for a luxurious break, then it may not be for you, ditto if you spend a lot of time in your room, but I don't think there's any point in going all the way to Iceland to sit in a hotel - go and explore the fantastic city and beautiful island.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple