“Expect cheap & reliable, not 5 star luxury!”
Review of Metropolitan Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel
Ranked #50 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This place needs to get a bit more credit than it’s being given. I stayed for 5 nights in September and got exactly what I expected; a cheap and functional base to eat and sleep between explorations of Iceland.

Cons – The light in the room didn’t work but didn’t matter as light from bathroom covered for both. It was reported and not fixed.
Bedclothes could have been cleaner and room was tidied only once during the week.
TV had 3 channels. All very minor and really not that big a deal.
Nothing else negative.

The pros – The location could not be better. But mostly, it’s cheap! By Iceland standards this is a right bargain.
Also, breakfast is simple but again, free so you can stack up as much as possible in the morning and save some cash.
There’s a bed, the door locks and the toilet flushes, don’t worry about the details when you’re travelling on a budget! Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank tequilauk

Reviewed 3 October 2013

The room was small as expected, but the bathroom was ridiculous. the toilet and sink were in the shower, only separated by a curtain. We would have left except we booked through Agoda and could not cancel. The worst part of all was the unfriendly greeting we received. this was our first time in Iceland and the young man at the desk was so indifferent to our arrival. He was unfriendly and almost rude. If I owned this hotel, he would be fired! Very poor ambassador.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank debigillis
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel is clean and very central rooms basic but a great base for your time you spend in your room. Breakfast is okay cold buffet ham cheese etc wifi staff will help with tours and any questions you have I would stay there again next time I go to iceland

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The room is spartan but clean; the overhead light does not work so we report it. It is not fixed during our four night stay. Unlike a hostel, the bathroom is all ours even though there is no lip on the shower so that entire room can easily flood. Buffet breakfast is included and consists of toast, cold cuts, cheese, cold cereal, and tea/coffee. Like the rest of the hotel, serviceable but not outstanding. What is terrific is that it is an easy two block walk to the city center, and from our perspective that easily offsets any lack of frills in a room we are only using to sleep in. Another plus: the desk is mainly staffed by two delightful young men who are extremely helpful and funny; the substitutes are less attentive to guests than to their computer. The budget conscious crowd is congenial and share tips. If you've graduated from hostels, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Having read the bad reviews which I must have missed when booking, I can only agree with most of them. Having arrived at 2am very tired we were informed with no apology that there was a burst pipe in our room so we were to go to other accommodation for the night and return the next day when our room would be fixed as the man was coming out the next morning - remarkable! Turns out they had overbooked as on returning from our temporary accommodation the person on reception knew nothing of this and gave us a room which had just been vacated ! The rooms are cramped for two people with a tiny bathroom. The window was filthy as was the roller blind. The room was never cleaned so no new sheets or towels over four days despite the sign saying they are cleaned five days a week. It's unreal that such an expensive city provides such poor quality - we would have been happy with basic and clean. This was sub standard and dirty. Never again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Pomnbom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

1-dirt, cleaning - to make a bed and to put toilet paper!
2-Not to tell the room was small - but hotel staff didn't manage to arrange a case, shelves - anything! only the hanger with a lattice for caps - to us was necessary to use suitcases as a case within a week! 3 - shower toilet a whole one person washes - the second - sinks: )
I won't will write more, besides, that number costs on 100% for an advance payment 150 euros a day. in Europe such costs 30 - max 50 euros in the center of Paris (Rome).

breakfast by the way normal for Europe - but dirt, dirt, dirt....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I used a website to book this hotel. After it was booked, I read the reviews on here and I was leery about staying at this place. The place was ok. I agree with one of the people here that said its “One step above a hostel”. I do not think is a three start hotel. Its more like a two or 1 1/2, depends on your opinion. The hotel is close to everything. For someone that is looking to get a clean place and not stay at a hostel, this is a great place. Its an inexpensive option and you are in the middle of everything. I got there and staff was really nice. It did not take me long to realize that the hotel was run by one person at the time. I dealt with three different staffs, they were very nice , helpful and friendly. There was some graffiti on the outside of the wall which made me a little worry, but don't be, its very common to see these around the city and there is certainly no much crimes in Iceland. So, I went to my room, there were two twin beds. It was clean. The bathroom was clean. The internet was not working in my room. The staff nicely switched me to another room, but I still had the same problem. The internet never worked in my room, which was frustrating. Every time I needed to use the internet, I had to go out to the hallway or the lobby. They had a decent breakfast. It was good enough to start your day until you get something else. It gave me the impression that the owners does not put much care into it. They could do so much improvement to this place, like use of card keys instead of actual keys, have reliable internet and have an actual lobby. I hope the owners read this and pay attention to these reviews because it could be a great place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends