“A quiet place”
Review of Metropolitan Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel
Ranked #50 of 55 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 28 April 2014

A couple of minutes away from downtown, from the closest supermarket and from the harbor, located in a quiet street (Ránargata), the Metropolitan has after all everything you need if you ask for a calm stay in the Icelandic capital city, and that's why I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars for this hotel. Reykjavik is a perfect place to meet the Icelanders and to stay in guesthouses to have the best atmosphere, so book a room here if you just have to sleep, not more. The rooms are okay, clean but simple, the WiFi was available for me only downstairs (even though you maybe have to blame my lousy computer). I left very early and there's someone at the reception all night, and I could enjoy the breakfast even though it was 5am. I had a trouble with my computer cable and got all the help I needed to find a new one at the reception. So don't get expectations too high, this is just a nice place to spend a couple of nights maximum.
The price was quite nice, at least for a country like Iceland. My experience is from November 2011 so consider it as quite old already. I took the same hotel the last night of my July 2012 trip and my experience was the same.

Room Tip: I had a room close to the computer and I don't remember having been bothered by the noise, thoug...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Superaapple

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed here for my first trip to Reykjavik. I am a touring musician, and I have traveled around the world sleeping on people's floors. I don't like to do that all the time, but sometimes you're on a budget! I didn't expect much, I expected it to be like a hostel - and it was. The rooms are very small, the beds are very small, but it worked for me. My room was clean upon arrival. The best parts of the hotel are the location (within walking distance to so many cool things in Reykjavik) and the shower! Although I am sure all Icelandic showers are pretty awesome (with endless hot water)! Again for me, I was a young traveler on a tight budget, and it was a great fit. If you want a luxury hotel this is not it. But if you are young and just looking to be close to the city center, it works. Expect a hostel, not a hotel, and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank always_sunny_SD
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Fortunately I had read a couple reviews before I left on my 5-day, 4-night vacation in early March 2014 to Reykjavik so I had low expectations for this hotel. The only reason I gave this a three star was because of the location. It really warrants a 2. Somebody described it as a step up from a hostel and I think that's an accurate description. My single room with a twin bed was small, as expected, and quite modest. I was out early in the morning for about 14 hours each day, exploring the city or taking a tour of the country side so I didn't mind the modest accommodations. I also appreciated having my own bathroom, though the hot water in the shower was limited (where's all that geo thermal power???!!:.) My room appeared to be straightened every day though that's not a concern since I was traveling solo and can easily make my own bed. The bed linens and duvet were quite old and worn. The bottom sheet had a tear in it near the feet. The pillows need to be replaced and smelled kind of musty (I replaced it with my fleece) and the heat never came on in my 4th floor room. Since there was a lot of snow and ice during my stay a little heat from the radiator would have been cozy, but the window above the bed that had a gap made it drafty for sleeping. I wore my wool hat two nights, and asked for an extra towel that I put at the window to try and block the draft. The hotel manager, Siggy, was gruff and abrupt, but I was prepared for that from previous hotel ratings. When the lights went out at 9 p.m. one evening, due to my phone charger I called Siggy who was on his way home but promptly returned to the hotel and fixed the problem (scolding me in the process for causing it). Would I stay there again? Yes, because the location in the old part of Reykjavik was in great walking distance to shops, cafes, the harbor. I'd ask for a new pillow next time. The tour companies in Iceland are great because they pick you right up outside your hotel or guest house promptly between 8-8:30 a.m.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Patti L
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had read some of the reviews and seen the photos. I was prepared for a tiny room. That is also the standard for most older European hotels. I was not prepared for a pillow with a hollow caused by the previous guest. Nor for a note saying they clean the room four times a week.

For the prices they charge, they should at least clean the room. The price was comparable to Leifur Eiriksson or many of the others like Apartment K and pricier than guesthouses (in the range of $80-100 per night and I checked the summer rates which go up to $200-230 per night). Budet and basic hotels still change their linens for every new guest.

That said, I had informed them that I would be arriving late, they had left an envelop with keys and wi-fi information. That made my check-in after midnight smooth and uneventful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank TorNezumi
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel is classed as a three star hotel, but i am not sure that it is. This hotel is in a great location to the old harbor area, but the rooms are small and cosy and the bathroom was small. Breakfast was fine to start the day but was limited cheese, ham and bread. A good place but do not expect much.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mr_gadget_london
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The initial impression of this hotel from the outside was not favourable – but got worse once we stepped inside. The hotel is basic – very basic. The breakfast room (the only meal available) was more akin to a trucker’s diner or one of those rooms in a hostel that they let you eat your take-away in. The stairs leading to the bedrooms needed to be climbed carefully as the rips and tears in the carpet could soon have you tumbling down to the ground floor. Being suspicious, I checked the fire extinguishers – they were last looked at in 2007!

We were shown to a twin bedroom rather that the double room we requested as the owner said “I thought you’d appreciate our biggest room “. As the room was tiny, we checked. He was right, the double rooms were ridiculously small. The ‘largest’ room had an alcove with some hangers in, two single beds, a small table with a TV from the seventies on it and two chairs. That was it, no chest of drawers or other such luxuries. The en-suite wet room was equally as basic and very grubby (although a card promised that the room was cleaned every day, the same toothpaste splashes we made on the first day remained throughout the duration of our stay). Breakfast consisted of cheese and meat slices, sliced bread, cereal, and on one day only - a boiled egg.
The saving grace (other than the price) was our host, who provided lots of advice and cheerfully dealt with our tour problems for us. He forgot to prepare any breakfast for us on our last day but wasn’t in the slightest bit upset when we told him we’d helped ourselves in his kitchen (which incidentally, was the filthiest I’ve ever seen).

The location was fantastic being a short walk to the old town, restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: If you need a decent sized room - go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Earthstrider
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Ok so this place isn't the ritz or the Hilton. It's a 3* hotel which meets the needs of anyone working to a budget.

The place could do with a bit of smartening up but it's perfectly practical for somewhere to get your head down, have a shower and get breakfast before venturing into Reykjavik! It's location is only 2 minutes from the harbour and about 5 minutes walk from the main area of Reykjavik.

We stayed for 4 nights and although booked into a double room the owner put us into a twin room as the twin rooms are bigger. He did say we could swap to a double room if we wanted but was more than happy for us to push the beds together (I will just add I went with my wife!). The room was basic, but was lovely and warm, had a tv and a shower & wc. The decor and some of the furniture looked a bit tired but as mentioned before it is only a budget hotel.

The shower was powerful and very hot which is also a bonus.

Breakfast was a self-serve very basic continental breakfast which consisted of cereals, bread, cheese & a selection of meats as well as jam and marmalade. There was also fresh fruit orange every day as well as juice and coffee. With the self serve it meant you could get as much as you want to set you up for the day.

On the days that we had booked early departing tours, the owner left the breakfast items in the fridge near the reception so we could help ourselves in the morning. He also left out a kettle and coffee so I could make a drink.

The owner was very helpful throughout our stay and even let us use the phone in our room to make local calls without charging us.

Did seem slightly strange that we were the only people in the hotel for 3 out of the 4 nights but January does seen to be the quietist month for tourism in Reykjavik.

If your looking for a budget hotel, which is within easy walking distance of the centre and gives you the basics and a good breakfast then you couldn't go far wrong with the Metropolitan.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple