Metropolitan Hotel
Reykjavik4you Apartments Hotel(Reykjavik)
US$228
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$233
  • Restaurant
Fosshotel Raudara(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$233
US$216
  • Breakfast included
Reykjavik Lights by Keahotels(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$369
US$377
US$327
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hilton Reykjavik Nordica(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$316
US$265
US$227
US$598
US$553
Hotels.com
All reviewsrooms are basicexcellent locationbudget hotelensuite bathroomclean towelsworked finesingle roomhot showerold harbourwhale watchingbreakfast is servedtour busesclean hotelhotel is greatcentre of townbus stopcentral reykjavik
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I travelled here with 9 friends and we had a great break in Iceland. Hotel staff were very helpful whenever we needed them.
Rooms are basic....but you have what you need, a bed and a shower...and if you are spending too much time in your hotel room you are not enjoying Reykjavik!
You can pay for more luxury in other hotels in town but the Metropolitan offers you a clean base to explore this wonderful island.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank David B
Reviewed 28 April 2014

A couple of minutes away from downtown, from the closest supermarket and from the harbor, located in a quiet street (Ránargata), the Metropolitan has after all everything you need if you ask for a calm stay in the Icelandic capital city, and that's why I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars for this hotel. Reykjavik is a perfect place to meet the Icelanders and to stay in guesthouses to have the best atmosphere, so book a room here if you just have to sleep, not more. The rooms are okay, clean but simple, the WiFi was available for me only downstairs (even though you maybe have to blame my lousy computer). I left very early and there's someone at the reception all night, and I could enjoy the breakfast even though it was 5am. I had a trouble with my computer cable and got all the help I needed to find a new one at the reception. So don't get expectations too high, this is just a nice place to spend a couple of nights maximum.
The price was quite nice, at least for a country like Iceland. My experience is from November 2011 so consider it as quite old already. I took the same hotel the last night of my July 2012 trip and my experience was the same.

Room Tip: I had a room close to the computer and I don't remember having been bothered by the noise, though I only had an internet connexion downstairs in the breakfast room so maybe ask for a room close to the hot spot.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Superaapple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed here for my first trip to Reykjavik. I am a touring musician, and I have traveled around the world sleeping on people's floors. I don't like to do that all the time, but sometimes you're on a budget! I didn't expect much, I expected it to be like a hostel - and it was. The rooms are very small, the beds are very small, but it worked for me. My room was clean upon arrival. The best parts of the hotel are the location (within walking distance to so many cool things in Reykjavik) and the shower! Although I am sure all Icelandic showers are pretty awesome (with endless hot water)! Again for me, I was a young traveler on a tight budget, and it was a great fit. If you want a luxury hotel this is not it. But if you are young and just looking to be close to the city center, it works. Expect a hostel, not a hotel, and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank always_sunny_SD
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Fortunately I had read a couple reviews before I left on my 5-day, 4-night vacation in early March 2014 to Reykjavik so I had low expectations for this hotel. The only reason I gave this a three star was because of the location. It really warrants a 2. Somebody described it as a step up from a hostel and I think that's an accurate description. My single room with a twin bed was small, as expected, and quite modest. I was out early in the morning for about 14 hours each day, exploring the city or taking a tour of the country side so I didn't mind the modest accommodations. I also appreciated having my own bathroom, though the hot water in the shower was limited (where's all that geo thermal power???!!:.) My room appeared to be straightened every day though that's not a concern since I was traveling solo and can easily make my own bed. The bed linens and duvet were quite old and worn. The bottom sheet had a tear in it near the feet. The pillows need to be replaced and smelled kind of musty (I replaced it with my fleece) and the heat never came on in my 4th floor room. Since there was a lot of snow and ice during my stay a little heat from the radiator would have been cozy, but the window above the bed that had a gap made it drafty for sleeping. I wore my wool hat two nights, and asked for an extra towel that I put at the window to try and block the draft. The hotel manager, Siggy, was gruff and abrupt, but I was prepared for that from previous hotel ratings. When the lights went out at 9 p.m. one evening, due to my phone charger I called Siggy who was on his way home but promptly returned to the hotel and fixed the problem (scolding me in the process for causing it). Would I stay there again? Yes, because the location in the old part of Reykjavik was in great walking distance to shops, cafes, the harbor. I'd ask for a new pillow next time. The tour companies in Iceland are great because they pick you right up outside your hotel or guest house promptly between 8-8:30 a.m.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Patti L
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had read some of the reviews and seen the photos. I was prepared for a tiny room. That is also the standard for most older European hotels. I was not prepared for a pillow with a hollow caused by the previous guest. Nor for a note saying they clean the room four times a week.

For the prices they charge, they should at least clean the room. The price was comparable to Leifur Eiriksson or many of the others like Apartment K and pricier than guesthouses (in the range of $80-100 per night and I checked the summer rates which go up to $200-230 per night). Budet and basic hotels still change their linens for every new guest.

That said, I had informed them that I would be arriving late, they had left an envelop with keys and wi-fi information. That made my check-in after midnight smooth and uneventful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo