“no frills - budget hotel”
Review of Metropolitan Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel
Ranked #49 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
NY
“no frills - budget hotel”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I'd never been to Iceland before and we had the opportunity to stopover for 1 night between our trip to Norway from the US. Since the US Dollar is so weak, the hotel prices all looked a bit expensive for us so found this hotel to be reasonably priced and in a decent location. It's absolutely not a 3 star hotel (hotel???) by our standards but we took what we can get. couldn't complain for the convenience and we weren't staying there long - we just needed a bed and bathroom for the night.

positives: price, decent breakfast, staff is kind of friendly and good location. 1 staff on the day we were leaving was friendly and spoke English well.
negatives: bad ventilation - room becomes foggy and humid after a shower, shower -was only separated by flimsy shower curtain from sink/toilet area head- showerhead kept moving over the shower curtain and spilling into the sink area. the place gets drenched by the time you finish showering. 1 staff spoke no English.. and the other who spoke wasn't very good either.

Not sure if I can recommend this to a friend. If someone was a hiker type on a budget, yes. If someone was looking for a romantic and relaxing stay, no.. i guess if I were coming back to Reykjavik, I may look for a more comfortable hotel even if for a higher price.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2010

originally booked for 6 nights and it being February in Reykjavik got a fantastic rate; so I wasn't expecting much. However, I was pleasantly surprised from the moment the shuttle from Kevlavik pulled up outside. Considering the great deal I got I was expecting run-down/in a seedy part of town - it was neither!
The Metropolitan is well-maintained and comfortable and as clean as everything is in Iceland!. The staff are friendly and helpful. My room was on the 4th floor and had captivating views of snow-capped mountains across the roof-tops of the hip Reykjavik 101 neighbourhood (see photo).
Unfortunately, I had to curtail my visit (after 4 nights) due to illness but would stay there again if I ever make it to Reykjavik again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank davgold
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 14 May 2010

This hotel is for travellers who appreciate to be where it happens without being disturbed by noise. It is a quiet hotel just about 2 minutes away from down town. The room had 2 beds, a tv, a few hangers in the corner and a bathroom. Wardrobe was absent. Breakfast every morning from 0700-1000. The next time I go to Iceland this hotel will be my first choise.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank svas
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2010

This hotel is a great budget hotel. It's quite basic but clean, warm, comfortable and in a great location just a few mins walk from the harbour and the centre of town. The Flybus from the airport can drop you outside or very close by and the excursions I booked also collected me from the hotel. My room contained a single bed and reminded me of a small student room but I could not fault it. I spent 3 nights here from 29 April to 2 May. The shower was powerful and the curtains kept out the light - even I was surprised it stayed light until 11pm at this early in the year. It was nice and quiet though I'm not sure how many guests there were as Keflavik airport was closed in the 4 day lead up to my stay. Breakfast was basic but a simple enough mix of cereal, toast and cheese and ham. There was a coffee machine that was available free of charge to guests all day. Wifi was free and available on the ground floor only but this is where the coffee machine was so it was convenient. Staff were not overly chatty but were polite and available 24 hours. They can book trips and runs to the airport for you. Reykjavik has so much to do that it really is not worth paying over the odds for a different hotel as you will not make use of it. I did the Blue Lagoon trip on the way from the airport at 1645 hrs and then got the last bus from there at 2100 into the centre arriving at 2200. I did the Golden Circle trip the following day which was lovely. Then I did horse riding and whale watching the day after that. Be prepared for some aches and pains after the riding. Got to see several Minke whales and dolphins however Orca's can be seen later in the year. Don't miss out on the Geo thermal pools. I went to one about15 mins walk from the hotel. it is outdoor but it was nice and warm and used by locals and only about £2.20 and has lockers and shampoo. Be prepared to strip off to shower before entering any pool/blue lagoon as it is a prerequisite you clean thoroughly and then put your costume on! Reykjavik is not a cheap place but actually some things are not expensive. Swimming is excellent value, the 24 hour stores are not too pricey and if you avoid restaurants then you can live on snacks like Subway, Hot Dogs, baguettes, burgers etc. I also visited the Perlan centre, bit of a walk but possible as path follows the dual carriageway. Buses are quite cheap but walking around was a pleasure and I did not feel at all unsafe. In fact I would say it was one of the most safest cities I have visited. I did not see a policemen the whole 4 days there. Iceland really is a lovely place that I woud revisit and I would certainly stay at the Metropolitan Hotel again

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank spillsy
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We got a very good price for this hotel and have to say we found it great value. It is very basic, but kept very clean and provides all the amenities you need for a case in Iceland. The staff were very helpful - especially Andre on reception. Breakfast was good. And the location is perfect - only 2 minutes from some great restaurants and bars.

This is a great budget choice for iceland I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank FireflyJH
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I stayed at the Metropolitan five years ago, remembered their good service then, and, based on that, decided to stay there again when I returned to Reykjavik. I have not been disappointed either time.

The Metropolitan Hotel is located in the most ideal place. Just a few minutes walk from downtown Reykjavik, yet situated in a quiet neighborhood setting, nice if you want to get away from some of the city hustle and bustle.

Rooms are adequate for the budget traveller (not the hotel to expect plush luxuries). Staff are very helpful and knowledgeable about Reykjavik and the surrounding areas. Rooms are also kept neat and tidy each day by staff.

The Metropolitan serves a large, hearty continental breakfast from 7 am until 10 am. each morning (not like in some places where they only put out a tiny amount of food for an hour or so), along with free coffee and tea all day.

A definite plus!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Telefkbirdhk
Halmstad
Reviewed 9 March 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Metropolitan for 4 days. If you want luxury this is not the place. However, if you are looking for a good clean hotel in a fantastic location this is it!!!! We arrived at approx 1am, and there were no problems checking in-the flybus from Keflavik airport was very easy to take! Our room was great; we had a double room (twin beds pushed together as always) and bathroom! The room was clean and towels were changed daily.

Breakfast was basic (bread, ham, cheese, cereal, yogurt) and a self made Waffles an ideal start to the day. There are some really good restaurants/bars around- cafe Paris is great.
Trips are great-you can book them straight from the hotel. The best one we went on was the Go Travel Iceland- south coast tour-you go in a small jeep vehicle- see waterfalls, glaciers and the coast.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends