“my second stay - says it all really”
Review of Metropolitan Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel
Ranked #49 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Sydney, Australia
“my second stay - says it all really”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

the Metropolitan is still as good as it was in February and I didn't get sick this time and have to curtail my visit.
Great, great value - helpful staff, convenient and hip location and comfortable. And importantly for those of us from warmer climes, adequate heating and windows that not only shut properly but are double-glazed so you can sit there and watch the snow-flakes fall if you're there in the cold months (most of the year in Reykjavík)!
I adore Reykjavík and if I am lucky enough to make it back for a third visit I'll be staying at the Metropolitan!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank davgold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed 11 October 2010

one thing no one mentions about iceland is that water smells like rotten eggs! we thought it was just this hotel but it turns out the water had that distinct smell in the 3 hotels we stayed at throughout iceland! it is most difficult to brush your teeth with rotten egg water! we were not always guaranteed cold water, at times it was too hot to brush or bathe. otherwise, this hotel was centrally located, staff (with the exception of one female) was super friendly and helpful, especially farooq. the rooms were small but clean (with the exception of the matresses i had slept on). breakfast is basic (cold cuts, cheese, cereal, waffles, hard boield eggs...) coffee, hot chocolate, and tea free all day!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
South Wales
Reviewed 7 October 2010

On arrival we both thought, oh no what is this. How wrong we were. This is a little gem. Close to the main city (2 min walk) near to the harbour (2 min walk). It's a basic hotel with no fancy rooms or reception but was clean warm and friendly. Things I liked included English staff who could book you trips. Breakfast was fab and we made waffles every morning. Tea and coffee was free all day in the breakfast room. Nice choice if cereal, cold meats and cheese, toast and waffles for breakfast. Most guests also made sandwiches to take out. It's not the ritz but was a fame sight better than a Hilton hotel I stayed in recently. Basic but clean-warm-welcoming and very central.

• Stayed October 2010
United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Booked this trip for my daughter and myself through Icelandic air.
Hotel in good location.
Very basic facilities.
Breakfast adequate.
However on the down side our room was not cleaned for two of the four days we stayed here and towels not replaced.
On the day we were going Whale watching a message was left for us to say the trip had been cancelled due to bad weather .This message was not relaid to us and we wasted valuable time waiting around to be collected for the trip that was not going ahead !!!!!!
Another female member of staff was very rude and unhelpfull when we requested our room be cleaned.

No facilities at this hotel.
Walls are paper thin.
Bathrooms very small.

Ok for short stay but do not expect much.

We would recommend the sea Baron restaurant nearby on the harbour and the nearby Tapas bar.

Stayed September 2010

Travellers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

NY
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I'd never been to Iceland before and we had the opportunity to stopover for 1 night between our trip to Norway from the US. Since the US Dollar is so weak, the hotel prices all looked a bit expensive for us so found this hotel to be reasonably priced and in a decent location. It's absolutely not a 3 star hotel (hotel???) by our standards but we took what we can get. couldn't complain for the convenience and we weren't staying there long - we just needed a bed and bathroom for the night.

positives: price, decent breakfast, staff is kind of friendly and good location. 1 staff on the day we were leaving was friendly and spoke English well.
negatives: bad ventilation - room becomes foggy and humid after a shower, shower -was only separated by flimsy shower curtain from sink/toilet area head- showerhead kept moving over the shower curtain and spilling into the sink area. the place gets drenched by the time you finish showering. 1 staff spoke no English.. and the other who spoke wasn't very good either.

Not sure if I can recommend this to a friend. If someone was a hiker type on a budget, yes. If someone was looking for a romantic and relaxing stay, no.. i guess if I were coming back to Reykjavik, I may look for a more comfortable hotel even if for a higher price.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2010

originally booked for 6 nights and it being February in Reykjavik got a fantastic rate; so I wasn't expecting much. However, I was pleasantly surprised from the moment the shuttle from Kevlavik pulled up outside. Considering the great deal I got I was expecting run-down/in a seedy part of town - it was neither!
The Metropolitan is well-maintained and comfortable and as clean as everything is in Iceland!. The staff are friendly and helpful. My room was on the 4th floor and had captivating views of snow-capped mountains across the roof-tops of the hip Reykjavik 101 neighbourhood (see photo).
Unfortunately, I had to curtail my visit (after 4 nights) due to illness but would stay there again if I ever make it to Reykjavik again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank davgold
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 14 May 2010

This hotel is for travellers who appreciate to be where it happens without being disturbed by noise. It is a quiet hotel just about 2 minutes away from down town. The room had 2 beds, a tv, a few hangers in the corner and a bathroom. Wardrobe was absent. Breakfast every morning from 0700-1000. The next time I go to Iceland this hotel will be my first choise.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends