“Good time”

Reykjavik City HI Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 June 2014

These folks were very helpful. They booked a trip for me and when I had double booked it, they fixed it! Clean and quiet. A well equipped kitchen and yet the breakfast- for which you pay extra- was good, too. Eggs, meat and cheese as well as choice of breakfast cereals and breads. Coffee and juice available, too.

Room Tip: I slept one night in a 6 bed women's dorm. There were 3 of us. It was just fine. The next nigh...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JanniCNP
There are newer reviews for Reykjavik City HI Hostel

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I started my 3 month journey such "a Volunteer for Environment Agency of Iceland" at this Hostel in the end of May 2013. I´ve been charmed with the location and services however it was like at home. I met a lot of people from the whole world. I enjoyed the nice smell of the morning coffee. I met helpful STAFF at the reception. I would recommend this HOSTEL for everyone who is going to explore Iceland because this place is perfect to start and of course to finish you journey around the country!!! I stayed inside in the room where I shared this room with other travelers but I stayed also in the tent outside where I had nice feeling from that atmosphere. Higly recommended from my sight!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I only stayed one night in a double room, and was completely satisfied.
Staff was friendly and helpful, the hostel provides tons of information on Reykjavik, tours and rentals. Two computers available for free use, also Wifi. The common area looks utilitarian & lacks a bit .... well .... warmth & coziness - it´s a youth hostel! They have a coffee bar & vending machines for snacks and drinks. Two shared kitchens with eating area can be used & looked okay to me.
The room is basic - bed, table, stool, clothes hook, that´s it, all you need. Cleanliness was very good.
Near the hostel there´s a 24/7 supermarket, other than that - not much going on. Bus stop right in front of the hotel, it´s a 5 min ride to the city center. I don´t know until when busses run at night - taxi is approx. 12€.
I would definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank andralea
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have no complaints about this hostel. The hostel is clean and well kept and the service is fine. I booked a two night stay in the male dormatory. This enabled me to meet some great fellow travelors like myself. Iceland is and expesnsive country however. So the price for lodging here is steep. I paid more for one night of lodging at this hostel than I would have paid at most 3 star hotels in various other contries. So I cannot bring myself to give a 5 star rating.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank david l
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights this weekend and very much enjoyed our stay.
The staff are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the tours and museums and attractions. One recommendation from a staff member was the Ice Cream place down on the harbour (the number 14 bus takes you right outside just get off at Grandagarour and walk along to Valdis).
The Rooms were very clean, comfortable with all the basics you need, in our double room there was a hairdryer in the bathroom. The beds are so comfy I slept like a log! Keep an eye on that radiator though because if you forget to turn it down expect to wake up roasting!!
They do tell you about the smell of the water (smells like sulphur) but after you've ran it for a while it's perfectly fine. The kitchens are well kept, the basket system is good but we only ever really had breakfast there. The supermarket is 24 hours and a 5-10 min walk but quite expensive if you're getting food in for all your meals. The vending machines are reasonable and surprised me that you can pay by card at them!
I recommend the restaurants 2 mins walk away, reasonable and very tasty!
The staff were great, we booked all of our excursions at reception and when one was cancelled they came to our room to let us know, when our second was cancelled we were able to email them from town so we didn't have to come back to the hostel to check. When we were at a loss of what to do they had some great suggestions.
the bus stop is just outside and again you can buy your day ticket from reception (3 bus journeys make it well worth 900 isk).
When we checked out in the morning, we weren't actually getting picked up until 6pm for the airport transfer (also booked at reception). There is a baggage lock up in the basement, reception have the key so it is secure.
The only minor point was that there were some nights that the wifi kept dropping (possibly due to the fact that there were more guests) and the bottle bin in the corridor had a few flies (on or two) they are not deal breaking issues by any means. Also, although there were some great lounge areas, it would be nice to have a few more comfy chairs.

I would definitely go back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a very clean hostel with great service from staff and good facilities. I stayed In A double room and it had everything you would need and expect from a budget stop. This hostel has a 24/7 supermarket close by and a local swimming pool. It's also a 10 minute walk from the zoo and botanical gardens. Its also has a pizza restaurant and a Icelandic restaurant within 2 mins. Both very tasty and around 2000kr for a main meal. Only drawback of this hostel is that it's a 40 min walk from the city centre. There is a bus (#14) that you can get from across the road from the hostel for 350kr one way to city centre which takes 10 mins and runs every 30 minutes. Overall a very good hostel in a great city!!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed in City Hostel from 22.Dec to 25.Dec.
And I'm fully satisfied with their kindness and cleaness.
The kitchen is 24 hours open.
And there is geothermal swimming pool near the hostel.
It's reasonable price to stay in Reykjavik.

Room Tip: The location of hostel is little bit far from the city centre. But you can walk, and it will takes...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends