“Basic Hotel - Good for a Stop Over or No Frills Lodging”

Hotel Vik Arctic Comfort
Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Boston
“Basic Hotel - Good for a Stop Over or No Frills Lodging”
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Hotel Vik is a pretty far drive from the airport in Reykjavik if you take the complementary airport shuttle, but it was made longer by the fact that there were a number of closer hotels that the shuttle dropped people off at first. A taxi ride would have been shorter, but no taxis were running when we arrived late at night for our stop over in Iceland. The hotel is decent and clean but has no frills, so I wouldn't recommend it for romance. Our room had about six twin sized beds in it, so it was very large, and two beds were pushed together for my husband and I to sleep in, each being separately made, which was a pain. There was a kitchenette in our room as well and it was stocked with dishes, pots, and silverware, so if we had stayed longer that could have been convenient. The hotel was very quiet and included breakfast with our room, which was fairly basic but was adequate enough for our needs. This hotel was priced great, so I would definitely recommend it for backpackers, traveling friends, or people who are looking for a no frills bed and shower combo, but try another hotel if you are hoping for romance, extra comforts, or modern ammenities.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eighthwonder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Misterlar's review (titled "All the Info on this hotel, location, bus stop, rooms to avoid, etc.") was accurate. The things I liked about this hotel were:
1) The room size and kitchenette (once we switched over to the main building)
2) Melica, one of the many reception staff. She was sweet and very friendly.
3) Wi-fi in the rooms
4) A couple of PC's in the lounge
5) Very quiet street which is great for sleeping!
6) Domino's pizza delivers!
7) Cabs arrived quickly when the desk staff called for them
The things I didn't like about this hotel were:
1) No elevators. This isn't such a big deal if you take the first room you are given on the second floor in the new building on a nice day. It was a pain in the butt on an icy day after dragging all of the luggage up to the second floor in the new building and then lugging it all back down and up to the third floor in the main building.
2) The lounge and front desk close up at 11 PM. This means no access to the computers they provide.
3) No tub - just a shower with a very slow drain.
4) Not the cleanest place - bring slippers and don't leave any clothing around. I found white powder on several items including a nightgown that was left on the bed. I'd guess it was carpet freshener. Bags and piles of dirty linens were left on the second floor landing - they never moved from that location.
5) The location is inconvenient and cab fares were expensive.
6) Aside from a great cafe a couple of doors down which closes at 6 PM, dining options are limited and require a 10 minute walk. Not a big deal unless your butt is chapped from the wind and you're very tired from all of the walking that you have to do to get anywhere from this hotel.
7) The furniture, including the nightstands, were "reupholstered" in puffy vinyl fabric.
8) Card keys don't work well at opening the front door if you come in after hours. The desk staff made it clear that it was an imposition that they had to let us in.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan329
Varanasi
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Kitchen facilities in the rooms were a life-saver as the cost of eating out in Iceland is extremely high! Large rooms with great showers and all the basic facilities you need. Only down points of the rooms was the lack of a decent overhead light - bring a lamp if you want to see your cooking properly when its dark!

The staff were really helpful and pleasant. Internet is free to use (when it's working!) and there is a small bar downstairs. Free breakfast is pretty good. The area isn't very scenic but it is very quiet and if you have a car its only a 5 minute drive into town and its very close to the main route out towards the golden circle etc. Parking outside is free and readily available.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a bargain price through Expedia at 35$/night including breakfast. The hotel is a standard 2-3 star hotel, simple clean rooms with nice views from the third floor, comfortable beds, quite and decent breakfast. We needed an hotel for the night as we arrived on a late flight and wanted to start the next day early to pick our Sixt rental car which was very close, so this fit us perfectly. Be aware that it is far from the city center and there is nothing much to do in the area.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We had a light, spacious room in the main building for a week on business. Housekeeping didn't clean every day so we did our own housekeeping. We had a fridge, microwave and hob in the room and there's a small cafe/bakery open during business hours nearby with the nicest lady we met in Iceland! The staff were helpful when asked to help. Computer connection was virtually non-existant so staff member checked in online for us and printed our boarding passes. Breakfast had a good selection but it was the same every day. The Flybus stops here and the hotel IS out of the way but we explored several ways to walk to and from town. We ate at the Chinese restaurant mentioned in a previous review and found it good value and friendly. We thought this hotel was good value for Iceland.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank flowerlady64
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I suppose the nicest thing that I can say about this hotel is that it does exactly what is says on the tin. It's functional and fairly clean.
The hotel's location is what utterly puts me off the hotel. It is in a fairly depressing looking commercial area with not a whole lot on offer in the area for those who are staying in the hotel. The bus stop is a 10 minute walk away, and it's easy to get on the wrong bus and end up in a very different place to your desired location. It is not an easy walk to the city centre either. You will need at least 30-40 minutes and a good map!
The staff were efficient, but not the friendliest that I've ever encountered. Many of the rooms of the hotel are in a building across an alleyway, which was very off putting. The single rooms are needlessly furnished with two single beds pushed together. I'd rather fall out of a single bed than be stuck between two single beds at night time. The showers were unreliable. At least 2 occassions where there was no hot water, in a city where hot water is free!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank maloner

Travellers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

California
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is a mix of a hotel -- there's both good and bad points, but it's important for people to understand what they'll be getting. I wound up staying here for four nights spaced out during August 2010 as I'd constantly return to Reykjavik, and I'll try to give as many important facts as I can about the place, including how to get there by public transportation, and how far it really is from downtown.

(1) This hotel actually has two buildings -- the main building and an annex building next door. AVOID THE ANNEX BUILDING ROOMS IF YOU CAN (rooms 400 and above). The rooms there are worse than the main building. My room in the annex building was quite disappointing. During the day while you're out, the sun shines right into them, and unlike rooms in the main building (where there's a small window to open), you CANNOT open any windows in the annex rooms to cool the rooms (these rooms can get really hot in the summer when it's sunny outside). There's obviously no A/C because it's Iceland, but even with the curtains drawn, when you come back later, the annex rooms are hot and stuffy if it's been sunny -- and you have no choice but to live with it (or prop open the hallway door to try to cool them down). The TV (small LCD TV) was also broken in my annex room for both nights, and the annex rooms are just more dilapidated than the rooms in the main building. Later on in my stay, I was given a double room (even though I was solo) in the main building, and it was just fine and I was perfectly happy with it. I don't know if you can request where you want your room to be though, so just keep in mind that if you get a room in the annex building (rooms 400 and above) it won't be as good as a room in the main building.

(2) Service: from bad to good, depending who is at the front desk. In the four times I stayed at the hotel in August, some of the staff were downright unhelpful and couldn't care less if there was a problem. Other staff though, were friendly, helpful, and tried to fix problems. So the service is hit-or-miss. At times it was pretty bad, and other times it was quite good -- completely depending on which person is at the desk.

(3) Distance from downtown: OK, here's what you need to know. This hotel is quite a walk from downtown, but that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you like. I'm someone who'd rather have a place to sleep in a quiet area and I love to walk, so its location suited me fine -- but if you don't like walking or plan to visit in the bad weather months, be aware of its location. If you want, there's a bus stop about 5-7mins walk away (with buses coming by every 20-30mins during the daytime and every hour later at night until around 23:00) but a taxi would of course eat up the savings you'd get by staying here. For me during the summer, I didn't mind the walk to and from downtown. Walking FAST (briskly) the walk to just the START of the shopping area (where the shopping/downtown area basically begins) is a full 25 minutes -- and that's walking very briskly. For normal walking speed (without stopping), add at least another 10 minutes to that. And from the edge of where the shopping area first begins, it's another 10 minutes walking fast without stopping to the center of downtown. So if you love to walk fast (as I do) it's 25mins to the start of the shopping area, 35-40mins to the center of downtown (fast, without stopping). If you walk at a normal pace (without stopping) figure 45mins to the start of the shopping area, 50-55mins to the center of downtown. It's not really that bad, but I like to walk, and if you're going when the weather's bad or you have problems walking, keep these times in mind. There are other hotels in the area as well, and it's a common sight to see lots of people walking in the direction of downtown... but note that the Hotel Vik is a bit further out. Walking back to the hotel from downtown, it's a full 10mins (briskly!) past the Hilton.

(4) Location: Its location is away from downtown on a street with small businesses that don't open until 10am (the street has a trophy store, a hardware store, a stereo shop, etc). There's no food stores right next door, but within a few minutes walk there are various things (a Vietnamese supermarket, little restaurants, etc). Because it's not in downtown, it's a quiet area (which I personally like), and you'll likely get more sleep here than you would if you were staying downtown where the bar-hopping and noise occurs.

(5) Directions with public transportation: The closest bus stop to the hotel (5-7mins from the bus stop) is the "Laugardalsholl" bus stop of Bus #15. Bus #15 stops at both the BSI Bus Terminal downtown (the main bus terminal) as well as the DOMESTIC (not International) Airport (which is also in downtown Reykjavik). If you can get yourself to either the DOMESTIC (RKV) Airport or the BSI Bus Terminal, take Bus #15 and get off at the "Laugardalsholl" stop (this stop is the next one AFTER the Hilton. The Hilton stop is "Nordica", and "Laugardalsholl" is the next one). The bus costs ISK280 -- the driver doesn't give change but you can usually ask at any shop for change. If you're coming from Keflavik (the International Airport), you can catch the FLYBUS into downtown (either to the BSI Bus Terminal or the RKV Domestic Airport). At the BSI Terminal, you can just ask any employee where to catch the #15 Bus. If you find yourself at the Domestic (RKV) Airport, the bus stop is just outside the airport: walk out of the building to where the road is (2 min walk) and you'll find the bus stop. NOTE that buses in Reykjavik come only one to three times each hour (depending on the time of day) so you'll probably have to wait at least a bit. But they're generally on time and reliable. During the business day they run about every 20-30mins, and later at night (until I think 23:00) they run once an hour. For your information, "Laugardalsholl" is the 9th bus stop after the Domestic Airport, and the 7th stop after the BSI Terminal -- but remember that the bus won't stop at each stop unless a passenger wants to get on or off. Here's the English webpage for the bus: http://www.straeto.is/english
Select TIMETABLES and then click on the green "15" to see the current timetable for Bus 15. The timetable is not in English, but for each direction it has three timetables for Mon-Fri, Sat, and Sun/Holidays. Currently it's the lower half (bottom three tables) that lists the times (Mon-Fri, Sat, Sun/Hol) for the direction from BSI or the Domestic Airport to the hotel. The DOMESTIC Airport's (RKV) bus stop is called "Reykjavikurflugvollur".

(6) How to get to the Hotel from the Bus Stop closest to the Hotel: From either the domestic airport or BSI Terminal (they're close to each other), it's only a 10-15min bus ride to the hotel's bus stop. So OK... you're on the #15 bus coming from the direction of the BSI Terminal or Domestic Airport. Look for the Hilton Hotel on your righthand side. When you see the Hilton on your right (the "Nordica" stop), know that you want the NEXT stop, and ring the bell for the bus to stop at the next stop. Get off at the next stop ("Laugardalsholl" stop). The bus leaves you off right after going through an intersection. Backtrack 15 seconds back to that intersection, and walk left up the perpendicular street up the hill. (From the direction the bus was going, you'd be going RIGHT, but now that you've turned around to backtrack 15 seconds, you'll be going LEFT). Just walk uphill on that street for a bit. As you walk, you'll PASS an intersection with a traffic signal. After you pass the traffic signal, the street you're on curves to the left and changes its name to Sidamuli (or Sidamula) -- the street the hotel is on. The street naturally curves to the left, and all of a sudden you're on the hotel's street. Keep walking down the street for a ways, and Hotel Vik will be on your left (19 Sidamuli). NOTE that the street name is sometimes printed on signs as either SIDAMULI or SIDAMULA, but it's the SAME STREET (don't get confused, both names are used for the same street). You get to the main Hotel Vik building first (where you check in). The annex building is one building further next door.

MISC INFO:
The included breakfast was pretty good, and starts at 7am. Checkout time for the hotel is 11am. There's free parking outside the hotel, and there's an ATM a couple minutes walk away. Though I didn't wind up doing it, I did ask if it's possible to leave stuff at the hotel (as I'd be returning a few days later) and they said yes, they have an apartment where travellers can leave things. There are two computers in the lobby for the internet, but every single time I was there, one of them (a different one each time) wasn't working, so there's usually only one working at a time. The connection is a bit slow, but it works. I do not know if the hotel has WiFi (as I didn't have a computer with me).

OVERBOOKING:
On one of the nights I was to stay at the hotel, I arrived and they had overbooked their rooms. I was surprised, as I didn't check in late, and I had stayed there already (and would stay there again later in the month). But by the time I arrived, tired and ready to plop everything down into a room, they had already arranged for me to stay at a fancy 4-star hotel (The Grand Hotel Reykjavik), and offered a taxi to take me there... so that was quite nice. I paid for my room at the Hotel Vik, and they gave me a taxi and I had a night's stay at a really nice, fancy hotel instead. :)

CONCLUSION:
If I had only stayed at my room in the Hotel Vik Annex building I would've given generally a bad review (with really hot stuffy room where there's no option to open a window, broken TV, more delapidated rooms, etc). If I had just stayed at the room I had in the main building later on, I would've given a mostly glowing review (much nicer room). So in the end, this hotel is a mix. Rooms were both good and bad (depending which one you get), service was both good and bad (depending who's manning the front desk), and its location a ways from downtown can be both good and bad (for me it was just what I like, but it may not be for everyone). Would I stay here again? Yes -- all in all I would, because it's budget-priced, in a quiet area, I like to walk, and I've seen there are good rooms available. But keep in mind that the hotel can be a mix.

If you found this helpful, please click on that you did! :)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
23 Thank misterlar