“Pleasant and Practical”

Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Iowa
“Pleasant and Practical”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The Fosshotel Baron is not right downtown. In Reykjavik, that's a good thing, because it means the hotel is quiet at night when the downtown clubs are hopping. It's about two blocks from the main shopping street and a 20-minute walk or a 5-minute bus ride from the historic district.

Flights from America arrive early in the morning. We were not able to check in when we arrived, but we were able to leave our bags for the day in a secure storage room. Our room (#310) was surprisingly large and featured two comfortable single beds and a nice view of the waterfront.

The bathroom was the biggest negative. The bathroom door was awkward, the sink would not run cold water at full power, and we had difficulty controlling the temperature of the shower water (we were warned it would be too hot, but in fact it was not as hot as we wanted). These were minor issues, though.

The breakfast area could be crowded at times, but there always seemed to be sufficient seats to handle everybody. The staff was efficient at keeping things stocked and clearing tables. The variety was very good. We particularly liked the selection of vegetables and fruits.

Whenever we dealt with the staff, they were pleasant and efficient. They speak good English, and they also appeared to speak German and French fluently. The one problem we encountered (our room did not receive maid service one day) was handled pleasantly and to our liking.

The surrounding neighborhood is pleasant and mostly residential. A 24-hour convenience store is right behind the hotel, and across the street is a wonderful health food restaurant and also a fast food place with some of the best burgers I've ever had. Within a couple blocks are other restaurants, a pharmacy, and a bakery. There is a bus stop by the convenience store, and the city's main bus interchange (Hlemmur) is just two blocks away. The waterfront hiking and bike path is steps away and a beautiful place to explore. Day tours regularly pick up and drop off right outside the front door.

We had considered several hotels, and after seeing their locations we were very glad to have settled on the Fosshotel Baron. Those in the new part of the city (like the Grand Hotel, the Nordica, and the Park Inn) seemed to just be too far out, while the downtown hotels seemed to be anything but relaxing. It was definitely good luck for us that the Fosshotel Baron was a good compromise.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dmbia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I have traveled to England several times, but this time I took Icelandair with a stopover in Reykjavik. There was no extra charge for a 3 day layover. I stayed at Fosshotel Baron, but if you check out their web site they also manage other hotels in Iceland. Also check their web site for deals. I emailed several times to arrange for my ride from the airport to Reykjavik. I took the Flybus from the airport. That worked out really well. It is about 45 minutes from the Keflavik airport to Reykjavik. Most of the driving is in the country. That gave me a real chance to see lava fields of Iceland and to see the small towns on the coast. The bus dropped me off right at the Fosshotel Baron. I arrived in the morning and had a few hours until check in time. I don’t sleep well on airplanes, so I was very tired. There is a locked room to leave your luggage. But as soon as my room as ready, I was able to check in. The room was not large, but large enough. The bathroom was good size. I didn’t have an ocean view window, but I did not come to Iceland to sit in the hotel room and look out the window! The cost of my room was $93.00 US. It included a fabulous breakfast. The waffles were really outstanding. They also had watermelon, cottage cheese, boiled eggs, bread, bagels, cereal, coffee, tea, juices etc. They do not serve dinner by the way. The young man at the front desk was very helpful and spoke perfect English. He helped me arrange a Golden Circle tour for the next day, that would pick me up at the hotel. The central location of the Fosshotel Baron is very good. It is not a far walk to the shopping district and next to the seashore. And it is quiet. I liked the location and loved being able to walk to see the city sites. If you are looking for a quick meal – a couple of doors down is a Domino’s pizza. My favorite place to eat was right across the street from the hotel – Kryddllegin Hjortin. They have gourmet soups, salad buffet and homemade breads. I loved the view of the ocean and the mountains. I especially enjoyed the carrot soup and chicken salsa soup. I plan to return again to Iceland and would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Check out the Fosshotel web site for specials. Also check out deals with Icelandair.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank limey52
Connecticut
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We arrived her many hours before check in on a flight from the US. We asked if we would be able to check in early and were told yes but that we would need to wait one hour for the room to be ready. The person at the desk then asked us if we would like to go into their breakfast room for something to eat, no charge. This was very nice as we were very tired and didn't really look forward to searching around just for a little something. The breakfast choices were very good - fruit, yogurt, cereals, veggies, cheeses, meats make your own waffles and also a variety of beverage options. Our room was spacious especially for European standards. It had a kitchenette and a balcony with a nice view of the water. The only downside was the very busy road right outside with lilts of car/truck noise. That doesn't really matter if you are as jet lagged as we were! Yes the rooms are a bit dated, but the are clean an comfortable with a very nice staff. The fact that they try hard to accommodate early check in is priceless. We would stay here again and will definitely recommend it to others!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a kitchenette and balcony!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed in the Fosshotel Baron twice -- at the beginning and end of a 10-day drive around Iceland. Our flight from the U.S. landed mid-morning, so we arrived at the hotel long before check-in time. The reception staff was helpful, allowing us to leave our suitcases in a locked luggage room while we explored Reykjavik. Our room was ready when they said it would be. Unfortunately, it was one of their “historical” rooms -- the smallest hotel room I have ever seen! The bed took up almost all available floor space, leaving no room to even open our suitcases. And it had no windows, just two skylights directly over the bed with shades that were inadequate to block the midnight sun. Not a room for claustrophobics. At checkout, we requested a different room for our next stay. Our second room was modern, more spacious and had a window overlooking the waterfront. Much better. Both rooms were clean with comfortable beds and small, functional bathrooms. The hotel is well-located, just two blocks off the main shopping street and a short walk to the center of Reykjavik. We heard none of Reykjavik’s infamous night-time party noise on either night we stayed. The Fosshotel is certainly not luxurious, but provides the basics for a tired traveler.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanJay23
Washington DC
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stayed at the Fosshotel Baron in late July. The location is pretty good. It is a 5-10 minute walk to downtown, but it is removed from the noise of the bars. Found the reception staff to be quite friendly and helpful. Rooms are larger than average for Europe

However the rooms are VERY spartan. Not much in there but a few pieces of old furniture. Most hotels in Europe give you a proper bedsheet and a
duvet. This hotel gives you a duvet but the sheet on the bed is threadbare and akin what we put under the fitted sheet in the US. (I almost thought it was a mistake). In addition, the hotel itself is VERY noisy. From about 6AM on all your hear is the slamming of doors. (The doors don't fit the frame that well). When your neighbor takes a shower at 4AM for their early morning flight, you hear it. And housekeeping was subpar. Trash was left on the floor in my room in plain sight for 3 days. Per protocol, I left a towel on the floor to get a new one. Not only did the housekeeper not replace it, she simply left it on the floor.

I paid US$120 all in per night and was a little disappointed. The hotel was charging 170 Euro (pre-tax) on their website. Had I paid that, I would have been livid.

Long story short, it's okay if you can get it on the cheap. But personally if I ever make it back to Iceland, I'll see what else is there.

Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our week in Iceland and drive around the island on the ring road. We started and ended our trip with two nights at the Foss Hotel Baron located a short walk from the main Reykjavik downtown. Like most hotels in Reykjavik, the Baron is a designed to be functional and practical. Do not expect lavish rooms with high end decorating but just the basic necessities. The lobby is small, with a seating for only 6 people as well as a computer available to guests. Staff is pleasant and open to the many questions on Iceland. Our first room was one of the historic rooms in the older section of the hotel. These rooms are very small, with skylight windows only and a small bath. Fine for sleeping but you would not want to spend much time in the room. The following weekend we had one of the larger rooms in the newer section facing the water. Comfortable beds, little larger room and small bathroom. Rooms have one window with a view of the ocean. Breakfast is very nice in two large rooms with many choices and well stocked. Hotel has a self service laundry ($5 euro for wash and dry) that is convenient as public laundries are few and far between. Walk up the street on the side of the hotel, Baronsstigur and turn right on Laugavegur to head down the main shopping street and to downtown. Many nice shops and places to eat as you work your way to the heart of the city. Take a walk along the waterfront just a block from the hotel to enjoy the ocean. We enjoyed the Baron’s quieter location, nice breakfast, pleasant staff and reasonable cost. A good choice for a visit to Reykjavik.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank EaganTraveler
Bristol, England
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed at the Baron hotel for 4 nights.
Check in was good and quick, allocated room 318. Room was basic but clean. Did notice one of the bedsheets had a small hole in but nothing major. Also the tap in the bathroom kept dripping. Beds were very comfy. TV was a bit limited but it did have ITV1.
Staff on reception were very good, always friendly and happy to book you a excursion or book you on a bus to the airport/blue lagoon.
Breakfast was very good. Lots of fresh fruit. Very strange that they ran out of English Breakfast Tea bags one morning though. The Waffle machine only comes out at weekends.
Think they have a happy hour in the hotel bar but didn't see it advertised anywhere.
Location is good, a 4 minute walk gets you to the main shopping street and within 10 minutes you are in the centre of town. The 24 shop next to hotel is very handy.
There is a internet PC for free in hotel lobby, could do with some wi-fi though!
I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple