“Great Experience - Location is amazing & great value.”
Review of Fosshotel Baron

Fosshotel Baron
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
London, United Kingdom
“Great Experience - Location is amazing & great value.”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Given that this is a 3 Star hotel I was very pleasantly surprised. The staffs were incredibly helpful and were very informative. There are plenty of guides/leaflets on tours/excursions in the lobby. There is also free wifi in the hotel which I found useful.
The rooms are basic but have everything you need - Safe, TV etc. One thing to note was that it wasn’t a double bed - is two singles pushed together but there are very comfortable. The shower is slightly on the small cube side but perfectly functional. The hot water does smell slightly of sulphur (as does it everywhere) but this soon disappears as rooms are very well ventilated. And the heating is great as well!
The selection at breakfast is good - hot and cold although not of the highest quality but again it is what you would expect at a 3 star. There is plenty of seating and time to as it’s served between 7-10am.
I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Reykjavik.

5 Thank Elliot D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Situated only minutes from ,the main shopping area with views over the ocean, this functional 3 star hotels is ideally located . On arrival the staff were delightful, the hallway and bedrooms very clean and the complimentary breakfast with hot and cold options far exceeded what we had expected. Complimentary tea and coffee are available in the bedroom, the en-suite bathroom has complimentary shower gel and the towels are white and fluffy.

The bus and travel companies pick up and drop off regularly but the reception area is never over crowded, there is a mini market behind the hotel which is open 24 hours and just minutes away there are many restaurants, pizza houses and cafés.

Although it is cold outside in December the hotel was so warm that we had to open the window, we wore short sleeves in the hotel and layered up for going out. You can drink the very pure cold water which is delicious but the hot water has a strong sulphur smell.... There is ample hot water 24/7 and the showers are very efficient .

This pleasant 3 star hotel offers good value , a great location and the most helpful staff ... A real gem. One our second night we saw the northern lights dancing in the sky just outside the hotel at 8pm..... Iceland is an amazing island with something for everyone.... We are a.ready planning our next trip...

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are available for a few pounds more but worth it
2 Thank BCruick
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Ok so we had recently stayed for five days , the reason I gave three stars is because it best describes the hotel, very average, it's a clean room with some space for your clothing and a safe in the room which does come in handy, also a small flat screen tv which is good for at night when lying in bed, the breakfast is just your regular, fruit, croissants, and selection of cereals, nice enough dining area , it is a bit of a shame though as they don't give the option of dining at night unless you want some soup, we went in late november and the rooms were nice and warm so no problem there, the location was definitely a highlight though ,being so close to the centre, little side note, go directly round the corner from the hotel and head straight up, me and my girlfriend spent half the holiday going the long route past the concert hall, also there is a little shop right round the corner, now the main point ,the bed.... that would hands down have to be the most comfortable bed I have ever went too sleep in , great sleep every night. Nice hotel for a short stay ,nothing special but does what it does on the tin.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

There's a few people on here moaning that the rooms are basic. For what it costs I thought the rooms were great value. Superb heating with in room controls, tv, hair dryer, safe - everything to make your stay a comfortable one. Yes the double beds are two singles pushed together, but I didn't notice as once I was in bed after a long days touring I just slept like a log. Breakfast is continental style, with hot options including omelette, sausages and waffles. Tends to get busy the later you leave it but we found there are plenty of tables and food for everyone. The staff seem to have a good relationship with all the tour guides which is good to know, and are kept well up to date as to whether excursions are running etc. we enjoyed our stay and if we visited Reykjavik again I'm sure we'd stay here - already recommended to friends. :)

• Stayed December 2013
London
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I don't like to be negative at all, but the hotel really wasn't what I expected it to be.
It was clean and it was quiet. The staff weren't overly friendly but were helpful and did what you needed them to do. The location was good, near to the main shopping street, and the food was OK.
I guess my biggest gripe was the bathroom. Seems a bit petty but the bathroom absolutely did my head in.
The shower cubicle was tiny. I could barely move without becoming wrapped in the curtain. The shower head was scaled up and the water was squirting at all angles. This was compounded by the fact that it was an overhead shower-head which meant you were either under the water or out of the shower! Trying to wash my hair was ridiculous as the shampoo was being washed out before it could lather! I tried cowering in the corner to get out of the stream of water but got a face full of curtain! I ended up turning off the water to facilitate this process. (I guess I did my bit for the environment!) The days when I didn't wash my hair were just as bad as the water poured off my shower cap like a waterfall over my face thus drowning me.
I will go on... there was also no holder / surface on which to put your toiletries in the cubicle. There was a tiny one above the sink but this was already full and sticking your arm out to get something would have ended up soaking the place due to the crazy water angles!

So this is my review. If you're a guy with a single bottle of shampoo, it would be great for you to stay in. If you're a woman with toiletries - bring a shelf with you!

Room Tip: Pick the one in the photo as that might offer a better bathroom!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank julie132
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The only complaint we would have with this hotel is the instant coffee at breakfast. Bed big and comfortable shower hot and fast breakfast loads of stuff continental style eat as much as you can (poor coffee) staff very helpful good beer but you must buy during happy hour 500k (£2.50) pint Gul lager would come back here for sure and I am quite fussy!

Room Tip: Try to get sea view
1 Thank qwertop
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed here with my brother for 4 nights in Nov 2013, and have no complaints. Location, as others have said, was phenomenal - we had a harbour view room, which was amazing, and only 5 mins walk away (no matter what Google maps tells you!) from the Sun Voyager sculpture (amazing) on the harbour. Five minutes away from the main shopping street with plenty of restaurant options, and the tourist information center! There's a 24 hour grocery adjoining the hotel which is really convenient.

Breakfast, which was included, was great - lots of options, the waffle batter was awesome, and my brother says the croissants were the best - soft and flaky.

Room was cleaned every day, to excellent standards. Lovely lobby downstairs.

It's a pretty basic hotel, so no amenities like spa or room service (in that way it does feel like a hostel trying to be a hotel), but service was amazing. Receptionists were willing to help with everything, including calling buses, and arranging for early breakfast as we were leaving before breakfast proper.

Would recommend to anyone looking for great location, clean rooms (showers were a little tiny, but the hot water and water pressure more than made up for it...geothermal FTW!), and friendly atmosphere!

Room Tip: Harbour view!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family