All reviews modern design small gym our honeymoon junior suite higher floor concert hall perfect location steam room mini bar rooms are comfortable bring earplugs breakfast buffet downtown reykjavik lounge area blue lagoon bars and restaurants happy hour
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We got a smashing deal on Jetsetter to stay at 101 Hotel in April of 2011. The deal was so good that I opted for the deluxe room, but when we went to check in, they put us in the regular room (I had to go back down and show them my booking receipt). They then put us in the right room, but it wasn't a great way to start our stay.

Otherwise, the room was very comfortable, and having the big bath in the room was great. We enjoyed the gym - nothing fancy but adequate - and the spa. The hotel is centrally located and we could walk everywhere within the city centre. We didn't have a problem with noise, but we were around the corner from the stairwell and on the third floor. I think rooms right near the opening of the stair well may have noise problems as the stairs lead right up from the bar/lounge area.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. However, had we been paying full price, we would have felt we were spending a lot of money for what we got. It's "chic" but in a standard, Euro way. Not an extra special experience. **Side tip - we really liked "Grey Lines" tours - they are also the less expensive option for getting from the airport to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors (above 2nd) and away from stair well entrance will be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Junebug1482
Reviewed 7 July 2012

HOTEL REVIEW # 208 101 hotel

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences.

LOCATION: Great, in the center of everything and on a more quiet street.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: The hotel provided a taxi pickup from the Int’l airport for 15000 ISK ($120). Flybus is much cheaper but less convenient.

TYPE OF ROOM: Double Deluxe

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Mattress was old and we could feel the springs. Sheets were excellent as were the pillows.

LIGHTING: Adequate lighting in bathroom and shower.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Bathroom is part of the bedroom and has no privacy. Shower pressure is good with inconsistent water temperature.

TOILETRIES: Great! Aveda products

CLEANLINESS: Entire hotel and room was spotless.

A/C: No AC in room and it was a bit hot. Opening the window helped.

STYLE OF ROOM: Somewhat stylish with a few quirks. Was expecting better. We had a view of a wall with our US$625 double deluxe room.

COMMON AREA: Was expecting better based on the hotel website. Very small common area. Hallways walls were painted dark and had low lighting… Tried to be trendy but ended up with a dark, ugly hallway to the room.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Hotel room was quiet but the sunlight could not be blocked well and it was light in the room when trying to sleep.

FOOD: Breakfast was good but not included in the room. They had a selection of American items as well as European breakfasts.

TV/INTERNET: Didn’t use TV / Wifi had a mediocre signal and was at no charge.

SERVICE: Excellent.

SUMMARY: Good place to stay in Reyk but keep your expectations low. We stayed at Hotel Borg as well and I preferred the Borg as it felt more of a luxury hotel to me (still nothing special). Next time I will probably check out the apartments for rent on Tripadvisor that have excellent reviews and probably a much better price as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the outside versus a wall like we had.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelSnob1
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Fantastic little hotel right in the centre of town. Extremely helpful and friendly staff who booked and recommended all our sightseeing activities which turned out to be great. The hotel is within walking distance to all bars and restaurants.
Our room was very modern and although not overly spacious it was laid out well and had everything we needed, including a DVD player.
Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loverofred
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed at 101 hotel Reykjavik for 3 nights, and I could advise not to stay on weekends unless you are fond of loud parties. We arrived at our own car and it took quite a lot of time to find a parking place nearby.
The room is not large and overloaded with the goods for sale (minibar on the table and a lot of cosmetics). See-through WC (ok, almost see-through) and washstand in the living room may be disappointing for someone)). There is not a great choice for breakfast, but food is very fresh. And the door to the jaccuzzi is difficult to open!
Staff is friendly and helpful, and overall appearance is good enough. Overpriced, but the expensive country is an excuse)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SvetlaKa
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I had a special offer price so 2 nights here was lovely, but I think it's quite expensive on a normal price. I asked for high floor and had a fab room looking towards the sea. the open-planned bathroom was very nice, all mirrors and glass everywhere! you can actually wash your hair whilst admiring the view...and there are net curtains if you feel a bit 'watched'! bed comfortable and the sheets first class! I was backpacking so not much bagage but there is little hanging space for heavy travellers! lots of products to buy in the room (there is complimentary shampoo soap and conditioner) but be careful of extras like the fancy eye-covers that have a price on them! as everywhere around iceland, the blinds let in the daylight during the night so can be difficult to sleep all night! breakfast also rather design with a designers price tag! had it one morning but the next went elsewhere! great location though, you can't get more central! trendy bar in the reception area so make sure you get a high floor!

Room Tip: make sure you are nowhere near the reception area where there's a trendy bar! sea view was fab! I would chose my room again 503
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo